NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jonathan Villar 2017 Outlook

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Elviplatinum said:

Cut your loses people.  Plenty of waiver players out there producing.  

Probably one of the best years for streaming bats/un-drafted studs.

Or hold, assuming Sogard's .388 BABIP (career .281) comes back to earth. All depends on depth of league, of course. No way am I considering dropping at this point. 

13 minutes ago, oscars2212 said:

sitting again.  I dont understand why they activated him just to have him sit on the bench.  He should have stayed in the minors to work on all his issues...

At this point in his career, what exactly do you think a minor league stint will accomplish?

He is what he is. A terrible defensive infielder who has a bit of pop and great speed, makes poor contact,  and strikes out way too much, to make his modest power playable. I dont think those are things he can work on and fix in the minors at this stage.

2 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Or hold, assuming Sogard's .388 BABIP (career .281) comes back to earth. All depends on depth of league, of course. No way am I considering dropping at this point. 

If Sogard's babip and average dropped 100 points he'd STILL be better than what Villar has done this year. That's not even including defense. 

Villar has played his way out of a job. Until Sogard comes down Villar should be on the bench as a backup. 

If I'm being honest with myself, the only reason I'm still holding is because of his eligibility.  If he was just 2B or just SS, he would be gone.  But that 2B/SS/3B combo is just too valuable to pass up if he ever returns to fantasy relevance.  This is a bad situation.

3 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

If Sogard's babip and average dropped 100 points he'd STILL be better than what Villar has done this year. That's not even including defense. 

Villar has played his way out of a job. Until Sogard comes down Villar should be on the bench as a backup. 

Well, yeah. Not really different than anything I've said. Sogard took the job. But if Sogard remembers he's Eric Sogard, and Villar plays like he did last season, Villar could take the job back. 

He was a top 5 fantasy asset last season. There's just too much talent to completely drop, knowing what he can produce. I'd wait a few weeks before considering. Again, shallower leagues may have different perspective.

32 minutes ago, Elviplatinum said:

Cut your loses people.  Plenty of waiver players out there producing.  

I think it's very situational.  Holding Villar right now is kind of like holding an 8th inning guy in a non-holds roto league because you need the saves.  Villar does almost nothing for you now -- maybe he'll get 1-2 starts a week and pinch run occasionally to get the occasional steal -- but if there's an injury, or if Sogard falls back to Earth, he could suddenly a valuable roto commodity just because of the production in one category that's hard to find help in.

Top 20 roto player Villar is never coming back, but I like him as a buy low right now to speculate on the big steals upside if he falls into more regular playing time.  He might be hitting waiver wires soon (I grabbed him off of mine in a 15-teamer) and you could probably trade for him as a throw-in.  If you need the steals, I think he provides a good risk/reward play if you missed out on Maybin and don't want to waste time with mediocre Dyson/Deshields type production in your outfield.

Edited by tonycpsu

For those who don't watch Brewers games, Villar not only conjured up a GIDP in his PH appearance yesterday, he didn't even run to first on the dribbler that he hit in front of the plate. Clearly he thought it was a foul ball, but he was very wrong, and he'd have easily been safe at first if he'd run hard.

These are the kinds of things that will keep him out of the lineup regardless of how Sogard plays. He's got good power and great speed. But not only does he play terrible defense and strike out a ton, he's also dumb and lazy. Unless he can quickly make adjustments to that side of his game, even a slump from Sogard is not going to get him into the lineup. I don't own Villar in fantasy, but as a Brewers fan, I see him as the third best option for the team right now at 2B, behind Sogard and Perez.

Edited by dele
7 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

Thats a fly out in most parks and he still needs to be starting more than once every 3 days to stay on my roster. 

Not watching game, but Yahoo's statcast saying 410 feet.

Edited by TTRA1N