NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jonathan Villar 2017 Outlook

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, cs3 said:

But what % of points has he cost you in BA, OBP, R and RBI? ;)

Have to compare it to SS's you could get on wire.  Not much of an improvement in other categories, if any.

If he's not starting much anymore than than that's a game changer though.

5 hours ago, Piotr said:

So much for the brilliance of playing Sogard over Villar. Sogard went 0-for-5 while everybody else was teeing off on the Phillies tonight. 

Only difference is Villar would have gone 0 for 5 with 3 Ks and 2-3 errors on top of it. Sogard helped win the game by turning a couple double plays. 

7 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

2 RBI and a steal today. 

Would love to see him take some walks and get that obp up. Can't believe they continue to lead him off but as an owner I'm not complaining. Made a bad looking error today though and little things like that will continue to hurt his PT

9 hours ago, bravesfan4life said:

Would love to see him take some walks and get that obp up. Can't believe they continue to lead him off but as an owner I'm not complaining. Made a bad looking error today though and little things like that will continue to hurt his PT

Same here regarding the walks. To me, that's what will tell us that he's turning it around as a hitter, not a 2-HR game. And his fielding

and mental mistakes...ugh. You have to hit .285 with 19 homers and 62 steals to make up for them, and he's not. 

1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Machado (1st round) probably up there. And Story (similar ADP I think?). But yeah. 

Story's shown signs of turning it around. I'd say Schwarber's been a bigger bust, as well, but it's a short list.

By ESPN 5 x 5 Player Rater (no idea what the number means)-

Villar- 3.08

Machado- 3.57

Story- 2.11

Donaldson- -0.54 

Schwarber- -1.11

Considering where Donaldson was taken, I assume him. But it's close. At any rate, Villar is NOT the biggest bust!

giphy.gif

54 minutes ago, TTRA1N said:

Not plaaying again sigh. Has to be the biggest bust of the year, right?

Not even close... Schwarber, Donaldson, Miggy, Cargo, Cueto all bigger busts.

Verlander and Polanco about equally bust-worthy as him, and Story not quite as big of a bust IMO

15 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

Haven't been in here for a while but this definitely caught my eye.

It's weird. Like you went back 4 days to find someone who caught a glimpse of something positive, & skipped over all the talk from the rest about how awful he's been, and he's running out of opportunities ?

Sogard 2-for his last-17 coming into today, and 0-2 with 2 Ks today (granted, v. Scherzer). The good news for anyone holding on their bench right now is that, as many predicted, Sogard is remembering he's Eric Sogard, & Villar will get chances here to put something together. 

Unless of course they acquire Kinsler or another 2B, which has been rumored.