NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jonathan Villar 2017 Outlook

parrothead

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point, I'm not even sure that it matters if he gets ABs because of injury. This has reached the point of a lost season, and I've believed since last year that Villar is a mental midget. If he is, then he's already defeated from a mental standpoint and no amount of ABs is going to turn this season around. His 2017 is done, and it's simply time for owners to move on unless you play in very deep leagues, NL only leagues, or have a very large bench to stash. But any hopes I had for this season is gone. And these are big words from me because I've been an advocate of holding him on the bench and a believer that his season could still turn productive at some point. I'm neither an advocate nor a believer anymore. As soon as Michael Taylor is activated from the DL, Villar is headed to my league's wire. The shame is I thought I had 2B/SS locked and loaded for 2017 with Peraza and Villar as my keepers there...wrongo!

1 minute ago, Fiveohnine said:

Domingo Santana is not expected to hit the DL. If you're that desperate, it's probably time to just bite the bullet and cut your losses dude. You'll feel much better afterward.

I hear you brother....giving it one more week....20 steals is 20 steals....but if he doesnt play....he cant add to that total.

2 minutes ago, South Jersey Bombers said:

whats wrong with keeping him on your bench? The guy plays 3-4 positions...I'm fine with stashing him, lets hope we get a repeat August and Sept from last year. 

Everyone's league is different and he may be worth holding in some leagues but we're a week into August and we have a .216 hitter with a 31.4% K rate who isn't playing everyday. I mean, it's pretty tough to be banking on a turn-around at this point in the season.

Just now, fletch44 said:

Everyone's league is different and he may be worth holding in some leagues but we're a week into August and we have a .216 hitter with a 31.4% K rate who isn't playing everyday. I mean, it's pretty tough to be banking on a turn-around at this point in the season.

Respect it....but my argument is even buried on your bench he is more valuable than (most FA in your league) Nick Markakis, Brandon Phillips, Jed Lowrie, Tommy Joseph, Eddie Rosario, Max Kepler, Carlos Beltran...ect ect ect

31 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

I had him on a two year contract - $11 this year, and $13 next year - in a keeper/auction league.  I just dropped him last night and will eat the $13 next year.  Due to a rash of injuries, he was just rotting away on my bench and hurting everyone of my counting stats.

57 minutes ago, South Jersey Bombers said:

whats wrong with keeping him on your bench? The guy plays 3-4 positions...I'm fine with stashing him, lets hope we get a repeat August and Sept from last year. 

3-4? I think most people would be happy if he'd even get a chance to play one position.

Personally I wouldn't be any more surprised if he were sent down than I would be to see him get his starting job back.

1 hour ago, South Jersey Bombers said:

Because I can pick up players on my bench who can actually contribute when I need them to (days off, injuries, etc). And while he's eligible in Yahoo at three positions this year, he only plays one...2B. So those in keeper leagues can't even hold with the hope that he'll be a decent keeper with multiple position-eligibility in 2018. 

4 minutes ago, TTRA1N said:

Still out

And they have the DH. 

The guy is a mess. Sogard has been awful, which I thought would but him another shot, but it hasn't. 

I tossed him in yesterday in as a throw-in in a trade. We all know what he COULD do, but that window may have closed. 

Whats strange is I've never been able to find quotes from Counsell or local media about working with him, getting him back to what he was last year, etc. They're just done it seems. 

On 7/2/2017 at 9:43 PM, street sharks said:

I owned him last year and he was on my avoid list this year. First, because his ADP was way too high. He was a waiver grab last year. Secondly, he was out-playing his peripherals last year, especially with that ugly k-rate. His k-rate is even worse this year and he's walking less. He's not going to put up 2016 Villar numbers. Can't really blame the Milwaukee staff for playing a guy who's OBP is currently .449 vs .288....

bWVCnqt.gif

...a month later and nothing has changed. Let him go guys lol