NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jonathan Villar 2017 Outlook

parrothead

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The avg I am concerned and not concerned, because honestly I never thought of him as a high avg guy, if you look coming into last year, his counting stats were always pretty good per AB, but his avg and his defense stunk and so he couldnt seem to hold down a spot, the Brewers should give him plenty of rope but ultimately not going to be shocked if he is .240 not .280

5 minutes ago, parrothead said:

The avg I am concerned and not concerned, because honestly I never thought of him as a high avg guy, if you look coming into last year, his counting stats were always pretty good per AB, but his avg and his defense stunk and so he couldnt seem to hold down a spot, the Brewers should give him plenty of rope but ultimately not going to be shocked if he is .240 not .280

Id be ok with .250 if he could keep the +84 OBP from last year. 

57 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

Id be ok with .250 if he could keep the +84 OBP from last year. 

Me too...I think he is a guy who can fill the counting stats and be elite steals but I would expect avg regression.  

5 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

And every time he gets one they make a big jump.  Works both ways.  Are you going to answer the question?

Im going to use Starlin Castro while hes hot.  You cant seriously think that Villar will hit 34 hrs right?  Early season pace talk is useless outside of his SB ability.  I would be disappointed with anything less than 40.  But right now hes not hitting or drawing walks so he cant steal any bases. 

Edited by jdbob11

K% and SwStr% are way up, just gotta hope it's early-season pressing or home run thirst or something and not, like, he's suddenly gone colorblind or something. he kept his good approach going all season last year so i'm not super concerned yet, think he just needs to settle down. but i do wish this wasn't happening, of course

4 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

Im going to use Starlin Castro while hes hot.  You cant seriously think that Villar will hit 45 hrs right?  Early season pace talk is useless outside of his SB ability.  I would be disappointed with anything less than 40.  But right now hes not hitting or drawing walks so he cant steal any bases. 

Starlin's a great alternative, no doubt. In my league Villar is eligible at SS, 2B and 3B.  I know not all leagues are the same but in mine that makes him eligible at 6 different "positions" out of the 13 that we start for hitters.  He's virtually unbenchable.  Of course there's no way he hits 45 home runs but if he's changing his approach for more power he could push for south of 30.

Just now, Low and Away said:

Castro is not going to steal bases. all you are streaming is average. meh

Im not worried about the sb's I have speed in other positions.  Castro gives me the possibility of HR's and RBI's and avg/obp.  Villar is contributing nothing at the present time. 

35 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

Im not worried about the sb's I have speed in other positions.  Castro gives me the possibility of HR's and RBI's and avg/obp.  Villar is contributing nothing at the present time. 

That would make sense if Villar didn't have more HR than Castro

18 minutes ago, mysonx3 said:

That would make sense if Villar didn't have more HR than Castro

Castro has 19 hits to Villar's 8.  Ill take the possible stats that come with more than double the hits until Villar starts hitting again.