NBC Sports EDGE Forums

LA ANGELS QUESTION !!!

Hey guys, Im just a bit curious and maybe someone can help me out or explain this to me..........well I have Lackey and he got me a win tonight pitching 8.1 innings...but I also have K-ROD and he wasnt brought in.........shields was brought in but I noticed shields didnt get a save.........why didnt shields get the save since he was brought in with a lead? thanks guys

Hey guys, Im just a bit curious and maybe someone can help me out or explain this to me..........well I have Lackey and he got me a win tonight pitching 8.1 innings...but I also have K-ROD and he wasnt brought in.........shields was brought in but I noticed shields didnt get a save.........why didnt shields get the save since he was brought in with a lead? thanks guys

What was the score when he came in? That is what is critical for determining a save in that situation.

No, he didn't. 3 run lead with less than 3 outs to go and nobody on base is not a save situation.

Ye it was NOT a save situation. If you look at the box score, Shields did not pitch a full inning thus he did not meet the qualifications of a save situation. He only pitched 0.2 of an inning so if he had pitched a full inning then he would have gotten it.

Ye it was NOT a save situation. If you look at the box score, Shields did not pitch a full inning thus he did not meet the qualifications of a save situation. He only pitched 0.2 of an inning so if he had pitched a full inning then he would have gotten it.

Unless you start an inning, the tying run must be on deck. With a 3 run lead, obviously the tying run was in the dugout. IF he had started the inning, then he get the save. IF the lead had been 2 runs, he would have qualifed. That is why sometimes you see a crazy save of 1/3 of inning and 4 or 5 run lead get one. Tying run on deck.

You don't always have to pitch a full inning to get a save. As long as you get the final out of the game, under certain conditions, you get it. Here's MLB's official definition:

"A pitcher is credited with a save when he finishes a game won by his club, is not the winning pitcher, and either (a) enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning, (B) enters the game with the potential tying run either on base, or at bat, or on deck, or © pitches effectively for at least three innings."

Shields entered with LAA up by three, but there was already one out in the 9th with nobody on base. Had there been a man on when he came in, it would have been a save situation as the tying run would have been on deck.

Archived