NBC Sports Edge Forums

Giancarlo Stanton 2017 Outlook

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Fenamo said:

If Stanton starts to put together full seasons, IFFFFF, then he'll become one of the most valuable dynasty pieces. Think top 5. This man was made to homer.

He doesn't contribute in enough other areas to be top 5 (or even close, IMO).  Plus you have to assume the durability issue likely won't improve with age. 

Edited by absknicks
16 minutes ago, absknicks said:

He doesn't contribute in enough other areas to be top 5 (or even close, IMO).  Plus you have to assume the durability issue likely won't improve with age. 

He's had freak injuries that could have happened to anyone. 

6 hours ago, Fenamo said:

If Stanton starts to put together full seasons, IFFFFF, then he'll become one of the most valuable dynasty pieces. Think top 5. This man was made to homer.

1) Best season in years, and he ranks 28th in ESPN Player Rater. 17th ranked hitter. First, he doesn't steal or hit for a high enough average, but you gotta consider his impact is even less when HRs are up around the entire league. 

2) He'll be 28 this November. Not young enough to be considered a "top 5 dynasty piece" anymore (based on his skillset).

Enjoy the season. Enjoy the HRs. Stanton is a stud at what he does. But don't make him into something he's not. 

Edited by Backdoor Slider
7 hours ago, absknicks said:

2 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

1) Best season in years, and he ranks 28th in ESPN Player Rater. 17th ranked hitter. First, he doesn't steal or hit for a high enough average, but you gotta consider his impact is even less when HRs are up around the entire league. 

2) He'll be 28 this November. Not young enough to be considered a "top 5 dynasty piece" anymore (based on his skillset).

Enjoy the season. Enjoy the HRs. Stanton is a stud at what he does. But don't make him into something he's not. 

Top five may be aggressive, but I was drinking and watching Big Sexy so I was all jacked up. With that said:

He's top 10 in runs. Top 20 in RBIs. Obviously #1 in HR. .274 AVG doesn't kill you and .956 OPS is gorgeous. I don't believe in injury prone. 

He's #12 in mine after the two run home run game and counting OPS. Older guys ahead of him include Blackmon, Goldy, Springer, Votto, Murphy. With home runs being so prolific, I have the opposite theory. You need players that are going to set you apart. A potential 50-60 home run hitter is that player. Then, if he gets traded to a contender, that can only help one would think. 

I have the feeling that the first three months were rather pedestrian for him and July is more in line with what I expect he is capable of. Hovering around 10 home runs a month. 

I also just traded for him in a dynasty empire league (July 14th) and he has since hit 6 bombs in 10 games so I'm in the honeymoon phase.

Really stunned at how well he has done in the #2 hole. 

Biggest thing with Stanton becoming a top 10 elite asset will be the AVG/OBP. He goes through some really tough stretches and won't walk during them, whereas a Harper and others can still get on base while swinging a cold bat. 

I think he's a top 30 asset and there's nothing wrong with that ranking...he's still a stud.

2 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

28 isn't old. He's right in his prime. He should have at least 4-5 more years of producing at this level left in him. If drafting today, I would gladly frame a dynasty team around him. Not saying I'd take him in the top 5, but when healthy he can produce like a 1st or 2nd rounder. It's not all about stashing every prospect and hoping they put it together in 8 years. 

13 minutes ago, moeron22 said:

28 isn't old. He's right in his prime. He should have at least 4-5 more years of producing at this level left in him. If drafting today, I would gladly frame a dynasty team around him. Not saying I'd take him in the top 5, but when healthy he can produce like a 1st or 2nd rounder. It's not all about stashing every prospect and hoping they put it together in 8 years. 

What? Ummm...of course. That was clearly in context to the top 5 claim. When you have top production AND youth (Trout, Bryce, Mookie, etc.), you don't take a 28 year old 3 category player. No one said anything about "stashing prospects who are 8 years away" as top picks.  

14 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

What? Ummm...of course. That was clearly in context to the top 5 claim. When you have top production AND youth (Trout, Bryce, Mookie, etc.), you don't take a 28 year old 3 category player. No one said anything about "stashing prospects who are 8 years away" as top picks.  

I read your post as writing him off because he's old. He's not old. Not even really that much older than those guys you listed. 

And for the sake of arguing, I wouldn't consider him a 3 cat player. His avg isn't anything to write home about but he's not killing you either. For leagues that count OPS he's gold. If he ends up with a line of 50+ HR, 170+R/RBI and a .280+ average, you could make a strong case for him as a 1st round pick. 

On 7/25/2017 at 7:28 AM, Backdoor Slider said:

Lol

yeah guys let's not make him into something that he's not which is every bit as good as Bryce Harper with Better power upside, since harper isn't stealing bags anymore 

11 hours ago, WARrate said:

If he continues to play a full season at the 2 hole, then he's a 110-45-110 player at the very least every season. That is top 5.

He's never hit more than 37 home runs in his career. He's driven in more than 100 RBIs once. Yes, injuries have played a factor, but how on earth can you make that statement with those facts in mind? 

He's not close to top-5 in dynasty. Never will be. And that's not a slight against him, he's having an excellent season, but he's just not on that level. 

Edited by absknicks
26 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

Lol

yeah guys let's not make him into something that he's not which is every bit as good as Bryce Harper with Better power upside, since harper isn't stealing bags anymore 

Bryce has more RBI, more runs, and is hitting .335/.439 to Stanton's .273/.358. He's also 3 years younger. So in a dynasty, it ain't close. 

And it's funny that you say Stanton has more power upside, when only one of these 2 players ever hit over 40 HRs, & it wasn't Stanton. He probably DOES have slightly more power upside, but if there's 5 guys in the league with 45-50 HR upside each year, Bryce is right there. 

14 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Bryce has more RBI, more runs, and is hitting .335/.439 to Stanton's .273/.358. He's also 3 years younger. So in a dynasty, it ain't close. 

And it's funny that you say Stanton has more power upside, when only one of these 2 players ever hit over 40 HRs, & it wasn't Stanton. He probably DOES have slightly more power upside, but if there's 5 guys in the league with 45-50 HR upside each year, Bryce is right there. 

Harper's got one good season before this year. Has a ton of baggage too. Stanton pls

15 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

stanton had a lot of fluky injuries

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, lbjames6 said:

Wow, not a peep in almost 2 weeks. 

HR #37 today, tying his career high. Only three more so he can officially become a 40 HR hitter. 

37 in 105 games. Beastly. It all comes down to health with Big Mike, as he enters his prime.