NBC Sports Edge Forums

Giancarlo Stanton 2017 Outlook

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BB% up and K% down from last season. He's swinging at less pitches out of the zone and making more contact on those pitches when he does swing at them. The main difference maker is that he has only missed 2 games all season.

Edited by Fuzzy_Slippers
On 6/8/2017 at 6:37 PM, jdbob11 said:

Haha.  Very long.  Nearly 30 years chief.  Id use the ole "Ive forgotten more than most people know", but I dont forget things.  I know all too well about highs and lows.  His problem is his lows last MUCH longer than his highs.  Like I said, No consistency.  He never makes the adjustments.  Im guessing you havent watched the insane amount of sliders he flails at like hes got his eyes closed.  I'm talking the ones you can see arent a strike from the second it leaves the ptichers hand.  He makes up his mind to swing and hopes its a fastball.  Watched him a few times this year swing and miss at 92 straight as an arrow right down the pipe as well. 

On 6/27/2017 at 5:47 PM, jdbob11 said:

How a guy with so much power and athleticism can look SO bad at the plate so often is beyond me.  I dont think he is ever going to put up that "wow" season. 

And in reality... WOW!

Edited by brockpapersizer
On 4/20/2017 at 8:43 AM, lbjames6 said:

He's always been there. As brockpapersizer pointed out, the only question mark is health. If he stays healthy the majority of the season he's guaranteed to hit 40 HR with a chance to get to 50. 

On 4/20/2017 at 10:06 AM, jb_power said:

on pace and guaranteed ... do they have the same meaning now?  I'm gonna have to look them up in my Funk and Wagnalls.

On 4/20/2017 at 10:01 AM, jb_power said:

No, just NO.  He's never hit 40.  He has a season high of 37.

Like I said, guarantee. 

On 5/5/2017 at 8:30 AM, Backdoor Slider said:

Huh. Well his 162 game average is .265/41. He's never played more than 150 games. Ever. 

You wanna call it .265/37? Ok, maybe. But you don't have to "get into it." The statistics say this is unequivocally true. 

Unequivocally true you say? :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Uh, yes. It was true. And now it isn't. This isn't hard, is it?

You said he was nothing more than a 35 home run hitter...which he clearly isn't and never was. I will say no more on the subject. 

2 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

You said he was nothing more than a 35 home run hitter...which he clearly isn't and never was. I will say no more on the subject. 

I never said "nothing more than." I DID say you don't get to call a guy a 40 HR hitter when he never hit 40 HRs. This shouldn't be controversial. 

Imagine me in 2015 saying "Donald Trump is president." 

You say, correctly, "no he's not."

Then I bump it after he wins and go "See, I told you!"

That's the gotcha game you're attempting right now. Try harder. We're all happy for Stanton. 

1 hour ago, lbjames6 said:

I'll own this.  I said the same thing.  When I drafted him this I pegged him for 30-35.  I try to have realistic expectations in getting to the rotos I think are necessary to win my league.  This season has even exceeded my wildest dreams.  You've been a big believer for awhile though.  Respect for staying true to your beliefs even when he gave reasons to waver.  This is the year many have been dreaming of since he came into the league.