NBC Sports Edge Forums

Giancarlo Stanton 2017 Outlook

On 3/19/2017 at 1:19 PM, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

Giancarlo is rocking a new batting stance in the WBC. Love love love it.

I've never paid up for him due to streakiness, swing-and-miss, and injury concerns but I really believe this is the year it all comes together.

This is the change in approach/stance that has been needed. 

.263 -47-124   NL leader in slugging percentage 

do only douchebags quote themselves?

I know the dramatic stance change was implemented more recently, but he was toying with big changes back in March. 

little off on those numbers though. 47 came early. 

18 minutes ago, WARrate said:

Does anyone really think that Trout is better than a closed stance version of Big G?

only Pablo Sanchez is better. z'far as I can tell. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
  • Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, MugsyBogues said:

After Trout it was Betts and Bryant this season. That's worked out real well. No reason you can't make a case for Big Mike at #2 next season. He's just entering his prime at 27. 

Tough to imagine a world where he's ahead of Trout, Harper, Correa. But if he starts breaking real home run records... 

On 8/15/2017 at 11:31 AM, ToO_BaD said:

It's too bad no one comes out to Marlin games.  They are missing a generational power.  Some teams/fan bases would only be so lucky.

Yea Miami and Tampa dont deserve teams.   Back to Stanton, hes freakin insannnne. 

3 minutes ago, mose316 said:

Yea Miami and Tampa dont deserve teams.   Back to Stanton, hes freakin insannnne. 

I think you'll be surprised what a new ownership group does for the Marlins.

12 hours ago, Fenamo said:

Tough to imagine a world where he's ahead of Trout, Harper, Correa. But if he starts breaking real home run records... 

No one will ever be ahead of Trout, not in the foreseeable future anyway. But, I have no problem w Giancarlo above the other two. 

13 hours ago, WARrate said:

Does anyone really think that Trout is better than a closed stance version of Big G?

Only in a Russel Branyan hot streak sort of way

Will be interested to see a full season with that stance tho. it looks like cheat mode.

What's funny is some people were writing him off and saying he would never reach this potential...and the dude is only 27. He has a lottttt of years left to play. This reminds me of Steph Curry when people wrote him off due to his ankle injuries. Anthony Davis faced the same talk and finally put together a full season this past year. I took the chance on Giancarlo this year hoping the same would happen and it paid off. So happy to see everything finally come together for him!

Just now, austinrbreeden said:

No sir, I've always loved Stanton.

I have too, but it's too easy to get swept up when guys are hot or in the midst of a career year. If he hits 50+ again next year then we can start to talk about his place among the all-time greats. He's got a long way to go to be in the conversation with someone like Griffey, who hit over 350 HRs in an 8 year period. 

Also, even if Stanton takes the crown, it's only a matter of time before Eloy snatches it away from him ;)

17 hours ago, austinrbreeden said:

We are witnessing the birth of the best power hitter in MLB history. 

A bit of a bold statement. He's having a fantastic season, yes, no one will argue that. For a bit of perspective, Prince Fielder, last guy to break 50 in 2007, had 260 hr's through his first 8 seasons. Giancarlo is sitting at 258 through his first 7.8 seasons. He will certainly surpass Prince by the end of this year, but you would be hard-pressed to find anyone throwing Prince's name in the 'best power hitter of all time' conversation. A lot can happen in a player's career so let's not anoint him (or jinx him) just yet.

2 hours ago, Selassie Lion said:

A bit of a bold statement. He's having a fantastic season, yes, no one will argue that. For a bit of perspective, Prince Fielder, last guy to break 50 in 2007, had 260 hr's through his first 8 seasons. Giancarlo is sitting at 258 through his first 7.8 seasons. He will certainly surpass Prince by the end of this year, but you would be hard-pressed to find anyone throwing Prince's name in the 'best power hitter of all time' conversation. A lot can happen in a player's career so let's not anoint him (or jinx him) just yet.

Chris Davis hit 53 HRs in 2013 and Jose Bautista hit 54 in 2010

8 hours ago, Selassie Lion said:

Considering the amount of time Giancarlo has missed over the last couple of years, I think you'd probably have to look on a per at bat basis. 

39 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Any info on this trade nonsense? Miami wouldn't get this done during the season would they? What would be his best possible landing spot? What is the most realistic landing spot?

I guess they could. It's highly unrealistic with his contract and the way he's playing. The usual suspects (Yankees, Red Sox, etc) who have the money to make that contract work are about it.