NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jose Ramirez 2017 Outlook

2 hours ago, shakestreet said:

looking at his player card Jose Ramirez is probably eligible for 2B SS 3b & OF in yahoo 

Jose Ramirez – He was tantalizing close to having 2nd base and shortstop eligibility, and maybe with Yahoo’s facacta fly-by-night eligibility, he will be eligible there.

my yahoo

He's only 3B/OF eligible.

And unless kipnis or Lindor get injured this year I don't see Ramirez regaining his 2b or SS eligibility.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, SwayzeExpress said:

He's only 3B/OF eligible.

And unless kipnis or Lindor get injured this year I don't see Ramirez regaining his 2b or SS eligibility.

Although he did log enough games at both combined to get the MI designation for leagues with deeper rosters. Unfortunately I think you are right about regaining spots. Between keeping Santana and EE in the lineup there is no way they give Kip or Lindor DH rest days.

10 minutes ago, BleedRedsRed said:

Although he did log enough games at both combined to get the MI designation for leagues with deeper rosters.

Wasn't that theory squashed above? He only gains MI eligibility if he is 2B OR SS eligible, not a combination of both?

2 minutes ago, SwayzeExpress said:

Wasn't that theory squashed above? He only gains MI eligibility if he is 2B OR SS eligible, not a combination of both?

Nope, I very clearly remember Chase Utley holding CI last season on Yahoo from his 2015 combo of 3 starts at 3B and 3 starts at 1B.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 10:37 AM, BigPapi44 said:

Guys, does he qualify for "MI" only in Yahoo for 2017?  He exceeded 10 games combined at both 2B/SS, not sure how it works or if he will only be 3B/OF.  Thanks.

FYI - He DOES qualify for MI in Yahoo.

2 hours ago, Letitbe793 said:

This guy is a bargain at his current ADP in my opinion. Don't see a big difference between him and Bogaerts, Lindor. I see more power coming given all the doubles he hit last season. Still very young. 

I don't know how much more power he is, he is very slight, but I think he does have some power. Here's what I'm more impressed by though:

Highest O-Contact% in Baseball

7th Highest Contact% in Baseball

Switch hitter. Hit .312 v. RHP. Hit .311 v. LHP

Stole more bases in the 2nd half (12 v. 10) 

Had a 7.1% BB% and a 10% K% on the Season

Had a 7.0% BB% and an 8.6% K% in the Second Half

Had a .329 BA in the Second Half with 7 HRs and 12 SBs

Had a .300+ BA in 4 of 6 Months. His lowest monthly BA was a ghastly .273

Had a higher Hard% in the second half by 7%.

And my personal favorite.

In the month of September he struck out 5 times in 120 PAs. FIVE. F-I-V-E. With a 5.8% BB% and a 4.2% K%. 

I don't know what the power gets to, but the contact is so elite he's going to be pretty much Lindor. I can see him going .325/9/25 or selling out a bit more for power and going .300/15, or maybe more at a young age. 

Such an impressive toolsy season. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Looks like he could be adding 2B eligibility this year for all non-yahoo leagues and possibly next year depending on how much time Kipnis misses. This only increases his value even further...

2B/3B/OF with a high avg, good obp, and steals. Love owning these types.

Edited by paintingtheblack
On 3/20/2017 at 4:48 PM, Dirtywater97 said:

Looks like he could be adding 2B eligibility this year for all non-yahoo leagues and possibly next year depending on how much time Kipnis misses. This only increases his value even further...

He will be adding 2B in yahoo leagues also

Took him at 122 in a Yahoo Pro League last night. Also got him for $6 in a Yahoo Pro League auction a few nights ago. I'm 100% pleased with both prices.

I'm glad that this thread was pretty much non-existent for virtually all of Spring Training. This guy is going to score a ton of runs if he ends up leading off, which is where some of the projection sites have him in the order now that Kipnis will be out 4-6 weeks. Right now it looks like:

2B- Jose Ramirez

LF- Michael Brantley

SS- Francisco Lindor

DH- Edwin Encarnacion

1B- Carlos Santana

RF- Lonne Chisenhall

CF- Tyler Naquin

C- Yan Gomes

3B- Giovanny Urshela

He has a huge potential for runs and stolen bases leading off like that with four really good hitters all batting directly behind him. If Ramirez kicks a** and does a good job leading off, then I can see him staying in that spot even once Kipnis comes back. I predict that once Kipnis is back, he'll slide into the 6-hole in the order while Ramirez will move back to 3B but remain the leadoff hitter. Urshela will ride the pine and the other guys will all just move down in the order.

really like Ramirez this year.

3 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

What pick did you guys wind up taking Ramirez with? I'd like to snag him in my next draft but dont want to jump the gun too early....

Yahoos ranking seems to be a little outlandish 

Gabbed him about 150ish. That could have been a reach, but I really wanted him.

10 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

What pick did you guys wind up taking Ramirez with? I'd like to snag him in my next draft but dont want to jump the gun too early....

He went at 104 in my ESPN league. I take him in that round. I'd rather "reach" a round on Jose Ramirez than not get him.

34 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

I took him with pick 118 in a standard yahoo league where he will be 2b, 3b, mi, ci, and of eligible. The swiss-army eligible is definitely worth a small reach.

I am trying to figure out whether to buy into the hype for this guy.

Am I the only person that believes he is being drafted way too high?  Not a long track record.  Walk rate is not great.

3 minutes ago, B&F said:

Am I the only person that believes he is being drafted way too high?  Not a long track record.  Walk rate is not great.

Well like how do you compare him and Lindor?

10 minutes ago, B&F said:

The guy has a great strikeout to walk rate, will be eligible for 3 positions, young and only going to improve, in a great lineup. Oh and he's very cheap.

Edited by Steelers0087
1 hour ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

104, I reached a little, but he wasn't getting back to me and I really wanted him

33 minutes ago, Steelers0087 said:

The guy has a great strikeout to walk rate, will be eligible for 3 positions, young and only going to improve, in a great lineup. Oh and he's very cheap.

Don't forget batting leadoff

45 minutes ago, B&F said:

I think we need to temper expectations a little bit..for a number of reasons.

Last year was .312/84/11/76/22

ZiPS projects for 2017: .285/76/10/63/24

Last year he was ranked 113 overall in my Yahoo league (6x6 OBP) at EOS.

Assuming last year wasn't a fluke, he should be around the same numbers, although maybe with a slightly lower avg. Are we expecting a spike in HR or SB? If he is batting leadoff, then runs should increase a bit, but RBIs probably not much (and all projections are showing a slight decrease). If we are expecting the same as last year, then taking him 15th round (10-teamer) still gives you a significant value, but nothing earth shattering.

The comparisons to Lindor...yes they look similar, except Lindor has shown more power, has SS eligibility, and scored a lot more runs. I think Lindor's ADP is boosted due to comparisons to Seager/Correa, whom he is not. Ramirez getting 2B eligibility is huge, but I do not expect him to be drafted in the first 3-4 rounds next year.

Is he a solid talent? Yes

Does the new deal give us a vote of confidence? Yes

Is he going to crack 40 combined HR/SB? Eh, maybe. He definitely could.

Is he going to save your team? No.

Is he going to be a set it an forget it guy that contributes positively to all 5/6 categories and is an excellent sidekick to your top three hitters? Sure thing.

That to me is worth the investment. In a points league, he may lose some value, but in any category league he becomes much more important.

45 minutes ago, rich22 said:

104, I reached a little, but he wasn't getting back to me and I really wanted him

I reached a lot. Pick 63 overall. Points leauge. I would have played the waiting game but with his projected points showing in que I couldn't let him get drafted before my next pick. He was a must draft for me.