NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jose Ramirez 2017 Outlook

jfazz23

The guy is 26. 

His already amazing K rate went down 2nd half. 

Hrs went up 2nd half. 

Sbs went up second half. 

He is my one and only must own player.  The numbers quoted by mtblock are for 152 games and he still ranked 73rd on Yahoo.  I think he could realistically go. 325/15/95/25/80.  

Elite

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, vtecnyg said:

I reached a lot. Pick 63 overall. Points leauge. I would have played the waiting game but with his projected points showing in que I couldn't let him get drafted before my next pick. He was a must draft for me.

Mine is a points league too.   Love him there

19 minutes ago, Impeccable said:

The guy is 26. 

Hrs went up 2nd half. 

Sbs went up second half. 

He is my one and only must own player.  The numbers quoted by mtblock are for 152 games and he still ranked 73rd on Yahoo.  I think he could realistically go. 325/15/95/25/80.  

Elite

Jose Ramirez is only 24. More growth to come.

46 minutes ago, Impeccable said:

The guy is 26. 

Hrs went up 2nd half. 

Sbs went up second half. 

Elite

You're right. His OPS jumped from .759 to .883. He seemed to improve second half. We still don't know what we'll get. We're hopeful of course. 152 games is only 10 games short of a full season. I would not expect him above that number this year.

I think you are being very optimistic on the avg, probably around .300-.310. your other #s seem reasonable. I don't have a good gauge on his speed, is there room to improve? regardless, that is a damn good solid player, and everyone needs one.

4 hours ago, mtblock said:

I think we need to temper expectations a little bit..for a number of reasons.

Last year was .312/84/11/76/22

ZiPS projects for 2017: .285/76/10/63/24

Last year he was ranked 113 overall in my Yahoo league (6x6 OBP) at EOS.

Assuming last year wasn't a fluke, he should be around the same numbers, although maybe with a slightly lower avg. Are we expecting a spike in HR or SB? If he is batting leadoff, then runs should increase a bit, but RBIs probably not much (and all projections are showing a slight decrease). If we are expecting the same as last year, then taking him 15th round (10-teamer) still gives you a significant value, but nothing earth shattering.

The comparisons to Lindor...yes they look similar, except Lindor has shown more power, has SS eligibility, and scored a lot more runs. I think Lindor's ADP is boosted due to comparisons to Seager/Correa, whom he is not. Ramirez getting 2B eligibility is huge, but I do not expect him to be drafted in the first 3-4 rounds next year.

Is he a solid talent? Yes

Does the new deal give us a vote of confidence? Yes

Is he going to crack 40 combined HR/SB? Eh, maybe. He definitely could.

Is he going to save your team? No.

Is he going to be a set it an forget it guy that contributes positively to all 5/6 categories and is an excellent sidekick to your top three hitters? Sure thing.

That to me is worth the investment. In a points league, he may lose some value, but in any category league he becomes much more important.

What is your 6th category that hurts his value so much in your league?

In 5x5 ESPN AVG leagues, Ramirez was the #47 overall player.
http://games.espn.com/flb/playerrater

In 5x5 Yahoo OBP leagues, Ramirez was the #57 overall player.
http://razzball.com/playerrater-5x5obp-yahoo/

6 minutes ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

What is your 6th category that hurts his value so much in your league?

In 5x5 ESPN AVG leagues, Ramirez was the #47 overall player.
http://games.espn.com/flb/playerrater

In 5x5 Yahoo OBP leagues, Ramirez was the #57 overall player.
http://razzball.com/playerrater-5x5obp-yahoo/

Total base. I'll admit that Yahoo rankings are wonky no matter what. I think they severely overrate OBP.

Oh well. Nice thought there. I am slightly less bummed because I have Santana, but this is a major blow to his runs. Huge boost to RBIs though. I would think this allows him to steal more, since there really aren't any impact bats behind him.

1 hour ago, mtblock said:

Oh well. Nice thought there. I am slightly less bummed because I have Santana, but this is a major blow to his runs. Huge boost to RBIs though. I would think this allows him to steal more, since there really aren't any impact bats behind him.

From all I've seen, he is going to bat lead off to start the season

So I called into the fantasy hotline on serius radio and discussed my team which includes Jose Ramirez as my 3rd outfielder. They told me they realllly didnt like him being my OF3. Why wouldnt they like him there? Am I missing something? I mean...i have turner I can swap to OF once Ramirez gains 2b eligibility but im just confused as to why Ramirez makes a poor OF3 choice? 

3 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

So I called into the fantasy hotline on serius radio and discussed my team which includes Jose Ramirez as my 3rd outfielder. They told me they realllly didnt like him being my OF3. Why wouldnt they like him there? Am I missing something? I mean...i have turner I can swap to OF once Ramirez gains 2b eligibility but im just confused as to why Ramirez makes a poor OF3 choice? 

He's a great OF3, though hopefully you have a good backup outfielder to take advantage of Ramirez's versatility.

I sometimes wonder if some of those "fantasy experts" actually pay attention to baseball

Just now, Dirty Little Birdie said:

They probably just think Ramirez is better used at the 3B slot than OF.  You gotta take these "Fantasy Experts" with a grain of salt.  They are wrong just as much as they are right. They know as much as us fantasy players who are on these forums. I'd say most of people who frequent on Rotoworld forums are better than those experts at Fantasy. So again, I wouldnt really listen to those guys.  We know Ramirez is a great contact hitter, who is 26 years old. plays for a really good team. has muitlple elig. (with 2B coming in 1 week).   

3 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

I suppose it boils down to type of league, size of league, what type of rosters, how many OF's your team requires etc.. if your League only uses 3 OF's I could see an issue.  Either way he's certainly valuable and a great guy to roster in any league especially considering how many positions he's eligible at. 

I'd be curious to see what their opinion would be with Turner in your OF and Ramirez in your 2B slot.  I mean really,  what's the difference.

9 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

I have him as an OF2 on one team, and I'm not concerned at all.  It's fairly irrelevant to talk about what an "OF3" or "SP4" or whatever should look like, because it varies wildly based on depth of the league, and construction of your team.  On the team I have Ramirez as an OF2, it's because I ended up taking a lot of infielders early because I felt like they were better value picks at the time (Edwin, LeMahieu, K. Seager, Story, Segura MI, Bird CI).  

You only have so many draft picks to fill your roster slots, so who cares if you took your OF3 in Round 11 as Ramirez if you have Kyle Seager at 3B in the 6th?  You could have McCutcheon instead in the 6th and use Ramirez at 3B, but it doesn't make your team better just because McCutcheon is your OF3 now.  I could have George Springer as an OF3 if I drafted OFers in the first 3 rounds.

2 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

I suppose it boils down to type of league, size of league, what type of rosters, how many OF's your team requires etc.. if your League only uses 3 OF's I could see an issue.  Either way he's certainly valuable and a great guy to roster in any league especially considering how many positions he's eligible at. 

I'd be curious to see what their opinion would be with Turner in your OF and Ramirez in your 2B slot.  I mean really,  what's the difference.

Exactly.  Your team is just a combination of stats from the players you draft, it doesn't really matter what positions you get them from.  J-Ram has an ADP around 100-110, so unless you play in like a 6 team league, he should be starting on someone's fantasy roster in some slot.

50 minutes ago, 33legend said:

Once eligible at 2B, he will be the new Francisco Lindor with more position eligibility?

im amazed lindor goes so much higher than him.  dont think that will be the case next year.