NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kapri Bibbs 2016 Season Outlook

beerfish

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, boltup15 said:

I'm just picking up Bibbs as a cuff. I don't if he'd be a solid cuff though. Dominated in college but poor measurables. 

If you have the room you may want to pick up juwan Thompson as well. It could go either way on who gets the play.

26 minutes ago, boltup15 said:

I'm just picking up Bibbs as a cuff. I don't if he'd be a solid cuff though. Dominated in college but poor measurables. 

Just about every RB to go off under Kubiak had poor measurables, including TD, Mike Anderson, Gary, Slaton, Arian Foster, Forsett. CJA didn't have good measurables either. 

1 hour ago, boltup15 said:

Because Foster was going to totally split carries with Alfred Blue. 

Strike 1 - Ben Tate was Foster's backup not Alfred Blue

Strike 2 - Alfred Blue entered the league in 2014.  Gary Kubiak was in Baltimore in 2014.

Strike 3 - In that 2014 year Kubiak was the coach who led Justin Forsett to his breakout year as a back who was on the field for 67% of the snaps...which is also the lowest RB snaps since 09. 

Thanks for playing though. 

e65144ec869c4f1e234a2f6cf5e85cd1.jpg

1 hour ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

Strike 2 - Alfred Blue entered the league in 2014.  Gary Kubiak was in Baltimore in 2014.

Strike 3 - In that 2014 year Kubiak was the coach who led Justin Forsett to his breakout year as a back who was on the field for 67% of the snaps...which is also the lowest RB snaps since 09. 

Terrible examples. Foster was an elite RB1 during those years, and Forsett was legitimately the only running option in Baltimore. Any examples we have of Kubiak having two comparable options he's run a RBBC. Either you're assuming Booker is Foster (RB1) or you're assuming Bibbs is so crap they have to run Booker all game. Either assumption is totally unproven.

Booker is a rookie who has had double-digit carries a grand total of once ... someone is going to have to spell him. There's also the potential for Booker to fall flat on his face. Not saying Bibbs is the answer ... if the Broncos are serious about contending they should make a trade for a vet. It's far more likely we're looking at a CJA/Hillman scenario here assuming all stays the same.

37 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

Terrible examples. Foster was an elite RB1 during those years, and Forsett was legitimately the only running option in Baltimore. Any examples we have of Kubiak having two comparable options he's run a RBBC. Either you're assuming Booker is Foster (RB1) or you're assuming Bibbs is so crap they have to run Booker all game. Either assumption is totally unproven.

Booker is a rookie who has had double-digit carries a grand total of once ... someone is going to have to spell him. There's also the potential for Booker to fall flat on his face. Not saying Bibbs is the answer ... if the Broncos are serious about contending they should make a trade for a vet. It's far more likely we're looking at a CJA/Hillman scenario here assuming all stays the same.

When Foster took over it was becaue a young talented back named Ben Tate got hurt...he was supposed to be their feature back.  There were many many years where Tate sat on the pine as he was considered the most talented backup in the NFL....would have been very easy to have a RBBC with those two if Kubiak was a RBBC guy but ok..you want to talk about Fosters talent being too much..fine.

What's your excuse for Steve Slaton?  2008 Slaton was on the field for 70% of the snaps as a rookie.  In 2009 these were his touch counts from Week 1-7....

12, 20, 15, 23, 19, 25, 22

Then after he was basically benched his touches dropped drastically meaning he was not pushed to a RBBC.  I won't even waste my time going back to the Denver days but feel free to do some more research on those if you'd like...HINT: there wasn't a RBBC.

Let's say you don't want to go back that far..let's just rewind to the beginning of this year.  Check out the snap counts from Week 1 to last week and you will see that CJA dominated them.  That only changed last week because CJA was garbage. 

At this point no one knows.  Maybe Booker stays in a RBBC with this guy maybe not.  Kubiak and the team are the only ones who know at this point but to completely ignore basically two decades of facts and data with some nonsense excuse "O Foster was too good"  "O Forsett was the only one there" is weak.

But please..go find me numbers that show Kubiak consistently prefers a RBBC....I'll wait.

1 hour ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

When Foster took over it was becaue a young talented back named Ben Tate got hurt...he was supposed to be their feature back.  There were many many years where Tate sat on the pine as he was considered the most talented backup in the NFL....would have been very easy to have a RBBC with those two if Kubiak was a RBBC guy but ok..you want to talk about Fosters talent being too much..fine.

What's your excuse for Steve Slaton?  2008 Slaton was on the field for 70% of the snaps as a rookie.  In 2009 these were his touch counts from Week 1-7....

12, 20, 15, 23, 19, 25, 22

Then after he was basically benched his touches dropped drastically meaning he was not pushed to a RBBC.  I won't even waste my time going back to the Denver days but feel free to do some more research on those if you'd like...HINT: there wasn't a RBBC.

Let's say you don't want to go back that far..let's just rewind to the beginning of this year.  Check out the snap counts from Week 1 to last week and you will see that CJA dominated them.  That only changed last week because CJA was garbage. 

At this point no one knows.  Maybe Booker stays in a RBBC with this guy maybe not.  Kubiak and the team are the only ones who know at this point but to completely ignore basically two decades of facts and data with some nonsense excuse "O Foster was too good"  "O Forsett was the only one there" is weak.

But please..go find me numbers that show Kubiak consistently prefers a RBBC....I'll wait.

2005 Kubiak ran a rbbc with great success going 13-3 remember Mike Anderson and Tatum Bell? Never should have drafted Cutler and ran off Jake the Snake. Otherwise you are correct typically Kubiak is of a mind to let a RB get into a rhythm and spell said back. It has been the way he does it. Probably the reason why Kubs wasn't with the team in 06. That and it was obvious Kubiak deserved a shot as HC.

Post edit... You asked "consistently" so I reckon the argument could be made an entire season would be consistent. Otherwise you are completely correct

12 hours ago, LongBalls said:

I wouldn't go as far as to put it in the same class as CJ/Hillman.   I'm assuming you're referring to last season.   

CJ couldn't get healthy to take the job and Hillman was never consistent enough in other facets of the job to keep it.    A timeshare was necessary at the time.     This is less about Kubiak's preference of RBBC vs. bellcow and more about what had to be done.    I don't think Kubs really cares about that- he's going to play the guy or guys who give the team best shot to win.    

I expect Booker to get 20+ touches a game, Bibbs maybe 5-8 and Thompson/Janny a few sprinkled in.     If Booker proves up to the task, he'll maintain that role.    If not, they'll move towards more of a RBBC.   

6 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

I wouldn't go as far as to put it in the same class as CJ/Hillman.   I'm assuming you're referring to last season.   

CJ couldn't get healthy to take the job and Hillman was never consistent enough in other facets of the job to keep it.    A timeshare was necessary at the time.     This is less about Kubiak's preference of RBBC vs. bellcow and more about what had to be done.    I don't think Kubs really cares about that- he's going to play the guy or guys who give the team best shot to win.    

I expect Booker to get 20+ touches a game, Bibbs maybe 5-8 and Thompson/Janny a few sprinkled in.     If Booker proves up to the task, he'll maintain that role.    If not, they'll move towards more of a RBBC.   

In case you missed it the first time read @Impreza178 s post again.  This is the best and most likely scenario of how this is going to play out.

8 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Nah. This guy is not worth a roster spot with Juwan Thompson back on the team 

I think they would both have fantasy value in a run-heavy offense -- Bibbs to get the bulk of carries,Thompson to vulture the TDs. I just don't know the talent level of Bibbs but he looked ok on his carries. If Booker goes down, I still want some piece of this running game.

On Friday, October 28, 2016 at 5:12 PM, GottaGetTheWin said:

boltup you and I have had some really good discussions this year and I respect you, but this was you getting pwnt SO hard.

12 hours ago, Pernil said:

nice late game scamper for that TD, wonder if he can get more touches going forward.

That's the big question.  If he had had more rush attempts I'd feel better about him but without that fluky rec TD he's a nothing. 

for some reason denver went into this game wanting to pass all day. even when they weren't behind by a lot it was pass pass pass. Not worried about bibs stealing the job, worried about pace and play calling. Booker looks like an average back but is the clear number 1

I think this is almost click bait.....He's a good cuff, but he got 2 carries and a lucky catch in prevent defense.

NBC Denver believes Kapri Bibbs could supplant Devontae Booker as the Broncos' lead back in Week 10.

Booker played 46-of-56 snaps against the Raiders, compared to nine for Bibbs, but longtime beat writer Mike Klis believes "(that) ratio figures to change in Bibbs' favor vs. New Orleans." Booker out-touched Bibbs 11-3, but Bibbs out-gained him 80-30 thanks to a weaving 69-yard touchdown reception. Booker has been extremely ineffective through two starts in place of C.J. Anderson, gaining just 76 yards on 29 carries (2.62 YPC), but we'd still consider him the favorite to lead the Week 10 backfield. Bibbs will undoubtedly be more involved, however.
5 minutes ago, Elcamino said:

I think this is almost click bait.....He's a good cuff, but he got 2 carries and a lucky catch in prevent defense.

NBC Denver believes Kapri Bibbs could supplant Devontae Booker as the Broncos' lead back in Week 10.

Booker played 46-of-56 snaps against the Raiders, compared to nine for Bibbs, but longtime beat writer Mike Klis believes "(that) ratio figures to change in Bibbs' favor vs. New Orleans." Booker out-touched Bibbs 11-3, but Bibbs out-gained him 80-30 thanks to a weaving 69-yard touchdown reception. Booker has been extremely ineffective through two starts in place of C.J. Anderson, gaining just 76 yards on 29 carries (2.62 YPC), but we'd still consider him the favorite to lead the Week 10 backfield. Bibbs will undoubtedly be more involved, however.

I'm sorry but that was not a lucky catch. That was one of my favorite TD's to watch all season. 

But came here to say Booker is a low end Rb1. He's still going to play 70+% of the snaps. This just seems like a motivational push for Booker. Bibbs did earn more touches though. More than 3... 

1 minute ago, boltup15 said:

I'm sorry but that was not a lucky catch. That was one of my favorite TD's to watch all season. 

But came here to say Booker is a low end Rb1. He's still going to play 70+% of the snaps. This just seems like a motivational push for Booker. Bibbs did earn more touches though. More than 3... 

Disagree on lucky. The Oakland D was already celebrating their victory at that point. Their effort trying to tackle Bibbs was hilarious.

Agree that this could be highly motivational.

All that said, Denver could be a little bit in panic mode now. They've suffered a few injuries, their line can't block, their QB is mediocre, and now their strength (D) is banged up and leaky. 

31 minutes ago, boltup15 said:

This.

My buddy from Denver kept talking about this guy and has had him rostered in one of our leagues for a little while.  

I didn't know much about him so I read his draft profile and other stuff and he seemed like a slow loser and I was uninterested initially.

Then I saw that 69 yard catch and run and remembered.... Just about every successful RB under Kubiak has been a slow loser and has played great.

In a deep leaguer I scooped him up.  He doesn't seem talented on paper, but none of the other guys really have either (Foster, CJA) and they've obviously played great under him.  If you got the space and the time he's worth a 2 week look for me.  I may only make it one before I drop though, we'll see.  I was super high on Booker leaving college and find it hard to believe this guy can play better, but maybe some offenses are just meant for some guys more than others.

• jbshaw locked and unlocked this topic
  • jbshaw locked this topic
  • jbshaw unlocked this topic

Archived