NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Trea Turner 2017 Outlook

Fuzzy_Slippers

I don't really see how anyone could be tempted to drop him.  Last year he was called up when?  June 3rd?  From then on he hit .330 with 13 hr and 35ish SB?  I mean in all honesty from my SS I'd love that for a season total right?  Sure, it's been rough no doubt.  I wanted him in 2nd round in every league of mine and managed to get him in 2/3, but of course not in my most important league.  I'm not concerned at all.  Especially in that lineup.  In my opinion I feel like the hype around him added to the Nats absurd start where everyone on the team is absolutely raking has the kid pressing horribly.  Not to mention I've seen a handful of ab's where the kid is put in an immediate hole from a called strike on the first pitch that probably any hitter that's been in the league more than 2 years would never have it called a strike on them.  I'm literally worries zero about the kid.  Actually have offered trades for him pretty much weekly in my big league.  Look at the rest of the first two rounds.  Tons of top pitchers down to major injuries.  Rizzo, altuve, and a couple more doing decent, but still ranked outside the top 50 in most scoring.  Be patient, or don't.  Your choice.

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, DemOrioles said:

His ADP absolutely warrants the criticism.  If he was drafted in the 6th or 7th round no one would be having this discussion.

You didn't respond to the point though. 

You said he's awful because "he has 13 Ks over his last 8 games."

Then followed with "it's hilarious that some of you defend on a small sample size..."

You don't find that the least bit ironic? 

As far as "you're going to have to tell me what he's done..."

Turner doesn't yet have one full season worth of MLB PAs (474) and is slashing .313/16 HR/41 SB

Are you joking??

Edited by Backdoor Slider

1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

You didn't respond to the point though. 

You said he's awful because "he has 13 Ks over his last 8 games."

Then followed with "it's hilarious that some of you defend on a small sample size..."

You don't find that the least bit ironic? 

You could look at it that way, but I just chose to look at the past 8-10 games.  His K rate stretches back to the beginning of the season if you would prefer that argument.  Also, no one has responded to MY point in which I asked people to provide me with what he has done outside of Coors field series, which is nothing.

Be patient, hold tight, etc etc.... based on what?  My argument for a small sample size is based on people defending his terrible start.

I mean y'all have to be kidding yourselves if you're not concerned. He was struggling a bit before he was injured. He went on fire at Coors. He has struggled a lot since, with strikeouts aplenty and weak contact. We're not seeing the squaring up that we did last year. I am concerned. Am I trading him? no. Am I calling him a bust yet? No. But come Late May/ Early June if this is still the case, that could be a different story.

He has got to get it going.

i think if he gets 40 steals he will be a valuable ROTO asset for shallow rosters regardless of how well he actually hits. This assumes he can post a 0.330-0.350 OBP. Getting that out of a fairly weak SS position is really valuable in roto. H2H i'm glad i avoided him.

I think part of the struggles may be from pitchers seeing more of him, more video to review. He also has adjustments to make and like other players could be a guy who doesn't produce well in the early months. 

Also like Correa red hot when called up, some were disappointed on his start then next season, have to ride spells like this out.

How long is his leash before he gets moved to 9th in the order? He's young and we all know Dusty favors those vets with experience. He's already giving him days off to clear his head. A move down the order is what Dusty does next, only a matter of when not if.

I've noticed a lot of his balls in play keep getting ruled as "line outs"

And I went to check at his babip and it's .308 - awfully low for someone with his speed

While the k's have gone down slightly, I think he's just getting unlucky as hell right now on balls in play

3 hours ago, MJDrocks said:

Yay!  We paid a 2nd round price tag for a light hitting SS who doesn't steal much.  Hopefully he gets traded to the Rockies soon.

On pace for 17/40...

Average looks pedestrian but I expect some improvement. I've been pleased so far.