NBC Sports Edge Forums

Christian Yelich 2017 Outlook

Read something this Spring that said Yelich numbers would go down this year with the switch to CF. The same thing happened with Ozuna the year before when he was flopped into CF. Put into my mind as a yea right type idea but seems to be holding true so far.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Low and Away said:

Read something this Spring that said Yelich numbers would go down this year with the switch to CF. The same thing happened with Ozuna the year before when he was flopped into CF. Put into my mind as a yea right type idea but seems to be holding true so far.

He's a solid OF but as far as fantasy, he's not an elite one.  

In my points league hes the 34th best OF. I've never viewed him as a number 1 OF, but I'll take him as a 2 or high end 3. The position is so deep and there is still so much time left this season. 

1 hour ago, sharpee said:

what do y'all think of him ROS?

He's been very inconsistent so it's hard to say.  He should finish close to last year's numbers hitting .280 with a sight down/up-tick in stats.  I could be wrong and he breaks out (as advertised) the rest of the way.  But so far, I'm disappointed. 

I think Yelich is about to go off.  Just based off how good of a hitter this guy is.  Maybe the expectations are too high for some fantasy owners but this guy could easily end the year at .290 90/90 and 15/15 with a .370 OBP. 

Edited by codyodea
  • 2 weeks later...

Can someone tell me I feel his gb to fb rates has improved.

tis my expectation that he hits more fly balls and gives up some average this season before going full gorilla on the league next season.

12 hours ago, agk47 said:

Can someone tell me I feel his gb to fb rates has improved.

tis my expectation that he hits more fly balls and gives up some average this season before going full gorilla on the league next season.

Take a gander yourself.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=11477&position=OF#battedball

FB% is up just a tick, but so is his GB%. LD % has dropped a few points.

16 minutes ago, borindia said:

My only hope at this point is for a 2nd half breakout.  Spent a high pick to get him in the draft.  Not even sure if he's a keeper anymore.

Well he has a whole 3+ months to prove his worth keeper-wise. He's toolsy enough to be keepable. But if there is no step forward this year he is nothing but a 50/50 proposition like many players who will go for less. He's been around the block more than a few times.

Status quo for Yelich this point forward = throw him back imo. 

This guy is too good a hitter to not flash some top tier quality down the line. I kept him as one of my 5, and he hasn't been BAD, he just hasn't been good. Quite honestly, I forget he's even on my team 90% of the nights. Pre ASB last year in 303 AB's he had 7 HR's, so his HR totals are actually better than at this point last year. Post ASB he mashed 14 HR's in 275. AVG is the concern for him so far, but I'd imagine that should round itself out eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a bust.  AVG and OBP not killing you and on pace for decent counting stats. Not superstar stuff but still a lot of time to end up with a great line. Temper expectations.  You're quick to throw that "bust" word out @borindia. Yelich is a great young hitter, hang with him. Last 30 days, 17-1-13-4. .299/.405/.412.  

7 hours ago, borindia said:

Benched until he actually does something.  Was hoping he'd keep up with Stanton this year.  What a bust.

He's been awful no doubt. There is nothing redeeming to his stats if anything he's regressed.

20 minutes ago, borindia said:

The urge to rage drop is strong.

Big pile o'Nothing. Hard to believe but that's what we have.

Very tough to drop him in >/=12 team leagues. You have to talk yourself into some wire scrub being better.

He's making it easier though.

• 2 weeks later...

With free OF production being deep he's been very droppable for a while even in limited keeper leagues.  Not offering anything worthwhile and not worth keeping where he was drafted.  Very close to dropping him for Souza.  

Edited by borindia
7 minutes ago, borindia said:

With free OF production being deep he's been very droppable for a while even in limited keeper leagues.  Not offering anything worthwhile and not worth keeping where he was drafted.  Very close to dropping him for Souza.  

I'm in a keep-all dynasty and trying to decide if I want to trade for him. Putting together a few packages for him, just unsure what to offer or....not offer ;).

Interesting debate about Yelich as a keeper. I've gone through similar thoughts as I own him in a fairly deep 14-team keeper league.

My thought about Yelich is that he is very "above average". He's a guy that's not super but doesn't hurt your team either. IMO he's not a great keeper. He just doesn't have the power/speed combination to garner must-keep status. I'd much rather keep a young stud with high potential (e.g. Berrios/Conforto) or an old guy who will give me at least a few stud years (e.g. Encarnacion/Cruz). Yelich is a nice, young real life player but in fantasy you can certainly do better.

My two cents.

When I first laid eyes on yelich I thought he had a ridiculously high ceiling; super athletic, massive frame and a nak for squaring up a ball. 

Only caveat he has has a bit of a flat swing that he'd need to redesign .

fast forward 4 years, he has the exact same flat swing and looks like his ceiling is very hunter pence-esque.  Still very good but unfortunately not the keeper league cornerstone I hoped for.