NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jose Berrios 2017 Outlook

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got the alert before it on the frontpage

A person "with direct knowledge" of the situation indicated to Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press that Jose Berrios will not be called up this week.

That same person cautioned that the club's plans could quickly change, but Nick Tepesch is already lined up for another start Thursday and Adam Wilk could join the Twins' rotation this weekend after getting claimed off waivers from the Mets on Wednesday. Berrios, 22, has registered a sparkling 1.13 ERA, 0.81 WHIP, and 39/8 K/BB ratio in 39 2/3 innings (six starts) this season for Triple-A Rochester. He's certainly knocking on the door.

4 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

A person "with direct knowledge" of the situation indicated to Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press that Jose Berrios will not be called up this week.

That same person cautioned that the club's plans could quickly change, but Nick Tepesch is already lined up for another start Thursday and Adam Wilk could join the Twins' rotation this weekend after getting claimed off waivers from the Mets on Wednesday. Berrios, 22, has registered a sparkling 1.13 ERA, 0.81 WHIP, and 39/8 K/BB ratio in 39 2/3 innings (six starts) this season for Triple-A Rochester. He's certainly knocking on the door.

21 hours ago, oswald737 said:

Actually, Twins offered some clarification....

Somebody is either lying or needs new sources...

has there been anything said (from the Twins or Twins sources) in why the Twins are acting with this the way they are? I mean damn Berrios has been killing it in the minors. what reason could they have to not call up Berrios? the only thing I can think of is that they look at his numbers from last season and are thinking OH s--- and they're afraid that that will happen again.

35 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

has there been anything said (from the Twins or Twins sources) in why the Twins are acting with this the way they are? I mean damn Berrios has been killing it in the minors. what reason could they have to not call up Berrios? the only thing I can think of is that they look at his numbers from last season and are thinking OH s--- and they're afraid that that will happen again.

Speculation: punishing him for pitching in the WBC.

1 hour ago, SpecialFNK said:

But that makes no sense.. him destroying minor league hitters does nothing towards his development. I can understand if he was having an OK time in AAA but the dude has a 1 ERA.. this is either them wanting to save on his service time (which from people are saying makes no sense) or it is about him pitching the WBC which is a dumb way to treat ur only hope of having an ace in your rotation anytime soon

I read that they could get an extra year of control if they don't call him up until June 27. It has to do with having less than a full year of service time. This would be if he were to stay in the majors for the duration afterwards.

So that would be one explanation why they wouldn't call him up. Let's hope that goes out the window since he is not being challenged by AAA.

3 minutes ago, oswald737 said:

Just picked him up with my last add thanks to this tweet. Could of added a pitcher to stream but figure Berrios has potential to stick around on my roster if he puts it all together this time up. 

• oswald737 locked and unlocked this topic