NBC Sports Edge Forums

Are weekly leagues that far in the minority?

ssmarsh

I'll qualify this post by saying I've never been in a league that allows daily lineup or roster changes (I've always done weekly leagues with monthly free agent moves). From all the "do I drop X to pick up Y" posts over the in bench coach, I get the feeling that I'm in the minority here, by a lot. Do most people play in daily change leagues or is it because people can make daily changes that all those posts pop up?

Personally, I think draft day is the best and most challenging day of the roto season and being allowed all the daily roster moves would kind of kill that. Of course, I also fail to see why anyone would be in a 12 team mixed league, but that's just me. B)

I don't see how anyone plays in a weekly league. If someone gets hurt on Monday, you are screwed and it shouldn't be that way. I know the main reason people give for playing in weekly leagues is that most people don't have time to get online everyday. It takes 5 minutes to set your everyday. If you don't have time for that, you shouldn't be playing fantasy sports.

I am in a 12 team mixed league and in my opinion, it's way better then just AL or NL-only leagues. I guess it takes more strategy to play in an NL or AL-only league, but what is the fun of that? Mixed league makes the drafts more fun and it allows you to keep up with the leauge as a whole rather then just pay attention to the National League.

I have heard reason after reason for both people playing in both of these type leagues and I just don't get it. I have done both and daily mixed leagues are way more fun to me.

We do weekly changes for my keeper league. Injuries weigh far less through a week in baseball than they do in other sports like basketball. Part of the reason we have weekly roster changes is that some of us live in Korea, and some live in North America. It's very hard to make roster changes daily from here, when you only find out about starters/sitting players in the middle of the night.

I don't see how anyone plays in a weekly league. If someone gets hurt on Monday, you are screwed and it shouldn't be that way. I know the main reason people give for playing in weekly leagues is that most people don't have time to get online everyday. It takes 5 minutes to set your everyday. If you don't have time for that, you shouldn't be playing fantasy sports.

I am in a 12 team mixed league and in my opinion, it's way better then just AL or NL-only leagues. I guess it takes more strategy to play in an NL or AL-only league, but what is the fun of that? Mixed league makes the drafts more fun and it allows you to keep up with the leauge as a whole rather then just pay attention to the National League.

I have heard reason after reason for both people playing in both of these type leagues and I just don't get it. I have done both and daily mixed leagues are way more fun to me.

Exactly. Last year, the Teix trade killed a lot of AL teams. With a smaller player pool, you can't afford to lose someone like Teix. With some many uncontrollable factors, would you want to add another one? AL Only managers with Brian Roberts could be in a similar situation this year. You can't exactly pass up on Roberts in a draft either, because he's well, good. I bet many AL owners nearly had a heart attack when all the Bedard talks started. Forunately, they were lucky. Haren owners on the other hand didn't have such luck.

Exactly. Last year, the Teix trade killed a lot of AL teams. With a smaller player pool, you can't afford to lose someone like Teix. With some many uncontrollable factors, would you want to add another one? AL Only managers with Brian Roberts could be in a similar situation this year. You can't exactly pass up on Roberts in a draft either, because he's well, good. I bet many AL owners nearly had a heart attack when all the Bedard talks started. Forunately, they were lucky. Haren owners on the other hand didn't have such luck.

The 2 leagues i am in basically run like a fantasy football league. If someone gets hurt on monday you are screwed and have a 0. Same with how if someone gets hurt in the first quarter on a Sunday football game you are screwed and get a 0. You take the chance. There are daily add drops but the rosters are frozen 5 minutes before the first game of the week. I personally have never been a fan of the daily leagues. It's too much and too annoying to me.

This is the way me and the other people in my league like it so this is the way we run it. Nobody has ever even brought up the idea of a daily league, and if my leagues go to that i will stop playing. Same as when one nutcase tried to change it to a roto league.

I guess it takes more strategy to play in an NL or AL-only league, but what is the fun of that?

I guess that's my point. With daily transactions you pretty much render the draft meaningless since you can go out and get someone else at any time (especially in mixed leagues where starters go undrafted).

As with everything else in life, I guess it all comes down to personal preference.

I have always done daily changes. The baseball season is a grind, so should be winning a FBB title. Daily allow you to play matchups, make moves and generally takes a lot more time and skill. Weekly is more of a crapshoot, like football. Too much based on luck for my purposes.

And I like to monitor both leagues and would rather not limit myself to AL/NL only.

I have always done daily changes. The baseball season is a grind, so should be winning a FBB title. Daily allow you to play matchups, make moves and generally takes a lot more time and skill. Weekly is more of a crapshoot, like football. Too much based on luck for my purposes.

weekly H2H isnt exactly a crapshoot. there's a method to setting your lineup. its certainly not just about playing your horses. in weekly leagues, splits and schedules play a much larger role in the decision making process. you have to know who your guys are playing against, in what ballparks, what part of the rotation their facing, lefty/righty splits, streaks, # of games, etc. as far as your pitchers you have to know your opponents' (your h2h matchup) strengths and try to counter them. you have to weigh the risks/benefits of a middling 2 start pitcher vs your 1 start ace with a tough matchup. i also like weekly leagues becuz its easier to stash players for speculating purposes.

i play both daily and h2h, but for h2h i prefer weekly transactions becuz it forces you to analyze the numbers and test your prognostication skills. it isnt just about fielding a good team and starting your guys whenever they have a game.

roto's a different animal though, in that format i prefer daily trans.

I guess that's my point. With daily transactions you pretty much render the draft meaningless since you can go out and get someone else at any time (especially in mixed leagues where starters go undrafted).

As with everything else in life, I guess it all comes down to personal preference.

Not true. That really depends on the depth of your league. When every pitcher but Matt Morris is on a roster, daily transactions don't make the draft any less meaningful than in weekly or monthly leagues.

I do both weekly and daily leagues. In the weekly league, it's very frustrating when you guy gets hurt, but it's a roto league, so as others have said, the impact is minimal. However, in H2H, that is killer, and I don't see why you would want to win that way (that is, someone else has Rollins DL'd on Tuesday, so you get a monster player out of their line-up. As long as the league is deep enough, and he's picking from scraps anyway, give him a shot to luck out.

The only time drafts are less meaningful is in shallow leagues where you can think about dropping Fielder in April like 1 guy in my league did last year (very stupid, but in a deeper league, this stupidity wouldn't even be a possibility as you'd be looking at picking up Morgan Ensberg to take his place).

weekly H2H isnt exactly a crapshoot. there's a method to setting your lineup. its certainly not just about playing your horses. in weekly leagues, splits and schedules play a much larger role in the decision making process. you have to know who your guys are playing against, in what ballparks, what part of the rotation their facing, lefty/righty splits, streaks, # of games, etc. as far as your pitchers you have to know your opponents' (your h2h matchup) strengths and try to counter them. you have to weigh the risks/benefits of a middling 2 start pitcher vs your 1 start ace with a tough matchup. i also like weekly leagues becuz its easier to stash players for speculating purposes.

i play both daily and h2h, but for h2h i prefer weekly transactions becuz it forces you to analyze the numbers and test your prognostication skills. it isnt just about fielding a good team and starting your guys whenever they have a game.

roto's a different animal though, in that format i prefer daily trans.

This seems backward to me. Roto is a season long odyssey that missing a week of stats doesn't really amount to much. However, missing a week of stats in H2H could be killer across multiple categories, and thus directly result in a loss. It would seem H2H almost dictates daily, while roto can fit either.

The only thing I hate about daily for H2H is pitcher streaming. It's one thing to get 4 extra AB's out of the C position. It's quite another to get 6 extra starts.

This seems backward to me. Roto is a season long odyssey that missing a week of stats doesn't really amount to much. However, missing a week of stats in H2H could be killer across multiple categories, and thus directly result in a loss. It would seem H2H almost dictates daily, while roto can fit either.

The only thing I hate about daily for H2H is pitcher streaming. It's one thing to get 4 extra AB's out of the C position. It's quite another to get 6 extra starts.

i can see that. to me roto is about maximizing your potential to produce stats within the limitations. missing a week of games might not seem like a big deal, but that is a week's worth of games you're missing out on. my point is, missing a week's worth of stats hurts in both formats. it might be to a lesser degree in roto leagues, but thats still a week's worth of lost potential.

injuries in weekly leagues are always a concern, but that risk applies to everyone.

as for streaming, its not a problem in either weekly h2h or daily roto. forgot to mention that.

Weekly roto isn't as bad as weekly H2H. Rollins being out all last week in my weekly roto won't really do squat to me in the end.

Archived