NBC Sports Edge Forums

Addison Russell 2017 Season Outlook

8 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I don't disagree with those potential numbers, but what is that worth at SS? His ADP right now is #9 SS. Asdrubel Cabrera (.280/23/62 last year) & Didi Gregoriois (.276/20/70) are ranked 23rd & 24th SS, respectively. I mean, I'd take Russell over both. But is he worth THAT much more? I'd say no. And obviously a lot of guys in between them. A lot of solid options. I just don't see the upside in taking Russell. 

Solid argument but on the flip side, .270 25/90 is basically 2016 Carlos Correa.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I don't disagree with those potential numbers, but what is that worth at SS? His ADP right now is #9 SS. Asdrubel Cabrera (.280/23/62 last year) & Didi Gregoriois (.276/20/70) are ranked 23rd & 24th SS, respectively. I mean, I'd take Russell over both. But is he worth THAT much more? I'd say no. And obviously a lot of guys in between them. A lot of solid options. I just don't see the upside in taking Russell. 

Those other guys may have had their career years last season. I'd say most likely Cabrera did and Probably DiDi too

we can still get much more from Addy with some steals and I think a potential.300 hitter

4 minutes ago, Folarin said:

Russell has potential to knock in 100 RBI's at SS. That alone is why he's worth more

And I said he worth more.  But 100-150 picks more? 

To the others, I get the allure in dynasty leagues. But even if he goes 25HR/100 RBI, his upside is extremely limited if he's going to hurt you in BA & chip in next to nothing in SBs. Just not a ton of upside unless he hits .300 or can swipe 10. 

4 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

And I said he worth more.  But 100-150 picks more? 

To the others, I get the allure in dynasty leagues. But even if he goes 25HR/100 RBI, his upside is extremely limited if he's going to hurt you in BA & chip in next to nothing in SBs. Just not a ton of upside unless he hits .300 or can swipe 10. 

Yes, because in the minors he hit for average and his BABIP and line drive rate increased this past year. Rusell isn't slow, either, so 8-12 bags isn't out of question.

I got Russell for $11 in auction to give you an idea. I think that's a good value compared to the other mediocre guys mentioned above going for $3-7 and the higher guys like Seager/Correa going for $30-40.

31 minutes ago, Folarin said:

Yes, because in the minors he hit for average and his BABIP and line drive rate increased this past year. Rusell isn't slow, either, so 8-12 bags isn't out of question.

Yeah but I'd bet good money on under .275 and under 10 SBs for this season. Long term? Maybe.

28 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I got Russell for $11 in auction to give you an idea. I think that's a good value compared to the other mediocre guys mentioned above going for $3-7 and the higher guys like Seager/Correa going for $30-40.

Think Russell will be two to three times more valuable than those guys? Eh. Maybe? Curious what ADiaz or Tulo went for. 

7 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Yeah but I'd bet good money on under .275 and under 10 SBs for this season. Long term? Maybe.

Think Russell will be two to three times more valuable than those guys? Eh. Maybe? Curious what ADiaz or Tulo went for. 

Guessing similar.  I like Diaz a lot    I'd bet the over on .275 for Russell

Edited by rich22
30 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Is Correa 4x more valuable than Russell?

Diaz and Tulo went for 8 and 9 respectively.

I still like Russell where I got him, but that's me.

edit: maybe I'm higher on Russell than most, just feel his BA and SB will increase this year compared to last, and I think he'll build on last years 21 HR, 95 RBI...could see .265, 25, 100, 10

Edited by Members_Only_76

Russell is Johnny Peralta (the good years)

which is pretty solid. the lack of apparent speed hurts as an SS, but the nice pop and great lineup help.

Edited by 2ndCitySox
12 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Russell is Johnny Peralta (the good years)

which is pretty solid. the lack of apparent speed hurts as an SS, but the nice pop and great lineup help.

Maybe he is right now what Jhonny Peralta was in his best season. Russell just had a 95 RBI season at age 22 and Peralta never had more than 89 and never had more than 24 homers. 

But a future comp if Russell improves the contract rate is Miguel Tejada.

1 minute ago, 2ndCitySox said:

RBIs are dependant on lineup slot and team. Not skill, per second. I think Peralta had 100 rbi season, but maybe it was runs 

Even so, batting 5th in a loaded lineup is asking for a 100 RBI season.  A 25 HR/100 RBI season isn't out of the question.

11 minutes ago, Folarin said:

Even so, batting 5th in a loaded lineup is asking for a 100 RBI season.  A 25 HR/100 RBI season isn't out of the question.

Yeah for sure. I can't argue the rbi possibilities. 

9 hours ago, Folarin said:

Yes

I can see him moving around the back half of the lineup a bit though, just because Maddon likes to tinker. But the 5-spot makes the most sense for him. Schwarber, Bryant, Rizzo, Zobrist, with Russell picking up the leftovers on base. Should be nice for his counting stats. (side note, the Cubs really should go Zobrist leadoff and Schwarber clean-up, imo)

3 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I can see him moving around the back half of the lineup a bit though, just because Maddon likes to tinker. But the 5-spot makes the most sense for him. Schwarber, Bryant, Rizzo, Zobrist, with Russell picking up the leftovers on base. Should be nice for his counting stats. (side note, the Cubs really should go Zobrist leadoff and Schwarber clean-up, imo)

Baez

Bryant

Rizzo

Schwarber

Russell

Zobrist

Contrares

Heyward

is what I'd do

16 hours ago, ryno1980 said:

Maybe he is right now what Jhonny Peralta was in his best season. Russell just had a 95 RBI season at age 22 and Peralta never had more than 89 and never had more than 24 homers. 

But a future comp if Russell improves the contract rate is Miguel Tejada.

This.

It's really not point to debate.  If people think that he had his best season at age 22, so be it.  I tend to think a 23 year old can improve on numbers that already surpassed Peralta's best ML season as a 22 year old.  LOVE Russell as a dynasty play - I LIKE him this year at his current ADP in seasonal leagues.

Edited by IlliniGuy76
4 hours ago, Folarin said:

Baez

Bryant

Rizzo

Schwarber

Russell

Zobrist

Contrares

Heyward

is what I'd do

Yeah, Schwarber leading off is such a waste of power... anyway, so is Baez... they don't have a true leadoff guy

5 hours ago, Folarin said:

Baez

Bryant

Rizzo

Schwarber

Russell

Zobrist

Contrares

Heyward

is what I'd do

Schwarber leading off isn't a waste. You get your best contact hitter in the cleanup spot.

opening day lineup projection:

Schwarber

bryant

rizzo

Zobrist rf

russell

heyward cf

Contreras

Lester

Baez