NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kyle Schwarber 2017 Outlook

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

Maybe he would hit better if he wiped that dirt off his chin.

I've heard several people say he looks like a bassist from a 90s alt-rock band.  I didn't think he would hit like a bassist from a 90s alt-rock band.

So never again believe the hype for a guy that had produced eite power numbers in a short sample or never again believe in Schwarber?

You have to believe the hype in some cases or you miss out. Can't get them all right. 

And writing off every 24-year-old for the remainder of his career isn't smart either. 

Edited by ryno1980

big disappointment

did his catcher eligibility on yahoo bump his ADP?

Schwabs ADP on ESPN was between 75-90 (round 7)

wonder what round he went on yahoo ?

Edited by shakestreet
13 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

big disappointment

did his catcher eligibility on yahoo bump his ADP?

Schwabs ADP on ESPN was between 75-90 (round 7)

wonder what round he went on yahoo ?

5th round on Yahoo

21 minutes ago, ryno1980 said:

So never again believe the hype for a guy that had produced eite power numbers in a short sample or never again believe in Schwarber?

You have to believe the hype in some cases or you miss out. Can't get them all right. 

And writing off every 24-year-old for the remainder of his career isn't smart either. 

Fantasy baseball isn't about catching lightening in a bottle by drafting some superstar before they break out. It's about having more accurate projections than the next guy. The collective of your 23+ picks is what will win you a championship; you want at least .85 cents of value for every dollar you spend.  You don't want to get .20 cents on the dollar trying to chase the next mike trout. More often than not, especially in baseball, you'll be left disappointed.

Edited by EmbargoLifted
6 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

5th round on Yahoo

Fantasy baseball isn't about catching lightening in a bottle by drafting some superstar before they break out. It's about having more accurate projections than the next guy. The collective of your 23+ picks is what will win you a championship; you want at least .85 cents of value for every dollar you spend.  You don't want to get .20 cents on the dollar trying to chase the next mike trout. These are the picks that absolutely destroy your chances.

No one said it was about catching lightning in a bottle.

I think Schwarber went in the 8th round of my 10 teamer, for example. I would have been willing to take him soon but there was simply players that were safer (more experienced in most cases) so I think we are agreeing here.

All I was saying is writing off someone later on because you got burned for his awful two months in his second MLB season is a poor approach.

1 hour ago, mjk356 said:

I've heard several people say he looks like a bassist from a 90s alt-rock band.  I didn't think he would hit like a bassist from a 90s alt-rock band.

Image result for smashmouth

Image result for kyle schwarber

22 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Image result for smashmouth

Image result for kyle schwarber

Schwarber might as well be walkin' on the sun with the way he's swinging the bat.  I think a lot of people, after last year's World Series, were ready to tell him, "Hey now, you're an All-Star."

Edited by mjk356

I understand wanting to get a guy at a value.  Honestly, to me, the bigger cost is the roster spot I'd have to use on him.  Sure, I could probably trade the last guy off my bench for him right now, but you're almost just playing a man down once you acquire him.  I don't know about every league, but in my league, roster spots are too valuable to be taking zeros on.

I would be more optimistic about his outlook if he had a larger body of work...not sure if one good season is enough sample size to justify a buy low or even anticipate improvement in his at bats 

Edited by Hurt Reynolds
1 hour ago, EmbargoLifted said:

5th round on Yahoo

Fantasy baseball isn't about catching lightening in a bottle by drafting some superstar before they break out. It's about having more accurate projections than the next guy. The collective of your 23+ picks is what will win you a championship; you want at least .85 cents of value for every dollar you spend.  You don't want to get .20 cents on the dollar trying to chase the next mike trout. More often than not, especially in baseball, you'll be left disappointed.

Please. You weren't saying this in April. Save us the tutorial. This guy is a great player in a bad slump. 

Stud at Indiana. Drafted 4 overall. Hit 30 bombs as a rookie. Helped the Cubs win a WS on a bum wheel. 

Let me explain to you what a slump is, sensei

20 minutes ago, Stickfig13 said:

Please. You weren't saying this in April. Save us the tutorial. This guy is a great player in a bad slump. 

Stud at Indiana. Drafted 4 overall. Hit 30 bombs as a rookie. Helped the Cubs win a WS on a bum wheel. 

Let me explain to you what a slump is, sensei

No you are right, i was saying it in February and March back on page 5

Edited by EmbargoLifted

I'll probably get flamed for this but here I go.  I think he's a buy low.  He's still hitting second in a great lineup.  A lineup that hasn't really hit on all cylinders yet.  He faces 11 of next 12 vs RHP.  Many mediocre to average, Lamet, Perdomo, Lynn, Leake, Wacha, Straily, Worley, Marquez, Chatwood, Senzatela, Wheeler.  Eventually this lineup will erupt and counting stats will be plentiful.  Maddon is showing a lot of faith in him by keeping up at the top.  Until he starts sitting vs RHP regularly or shoved to 7 hole you have to believe he's going to get hot.  For that he should be worth a buy low offer to see it out.  

9 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

I'll probably get flamed for this but here I go.  I think he's a buy low.  He's still hitting second in a great lineup.  A lineup that hasn't really hit on all cylinders yet.  He faces 11 of next 12 vs RHP.  Many mediocre to average, Lamet, Perdomo, Lynn, Leake, Wacha, Straily, Worley, Marquez, Chatwood, Senzatela, Wheeler.  Eventually this lineup will erupt and counting stats will be plentiful.  Maddon is showing a lot of faith in him by keeping up at the top.  Until he starts sitting vs RHP regularly or shoved to 7 hole you have to believe he's going to get hot.  For that he should be worth a buy low offer to see it out.  

nothing to flame about.

I own him in 1 league and don't own him in the other, and I'm trying to decide if I should buy low on this guy in the league that I don't have, or if I should gtfo off this wild ride in the league that I have.

So yea. It's been a struggle trying to judge this situation

19 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

No you are right, i was saying it in February and March back on page 5

Curious what players you draft in the first 10 rounds that produce in a standard 5X5. Can't be any pitchers and I doubt there are ten offense players that contribute in all 5 that one manager could draft in a 10+ team league. 

I do a lot of drafts every year can't remember seeing that happen even when I was just drafting offense in my first ten rounds of 8 team leagues

I could see him turning it around but the danger in buying low now, IMO,  is that 2-3 more weeks of this and they'll almost have no choice but to send him down. Cmilne highlighted a nice stretch of opponents coming up for him so if there's no signs of life after that I think the minors will become a very realistic option. Good thing is the organization loves him to a fault so even if he is sent down have to think he'll be recalled relatively quickly if he starts mashing down there.

Edited by absknicks