NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kyle Schwarber 2017 Outlook

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, Fister?Ihardlyknowher said:

Except Bautista has been an all star for many, many years. Schwarber had one good year. There's a big difference in track record.

He still has pedigree and high ceiling.  Has shown he can hit 16hr in 69 games in 2015.  Low babip.  Just hit a ball 470 feet last week, probably not hurt.  Id want to own him for the summer months at Wrigley. 

6 hours ago, Fister?Ihardlyknowher said:

Except Bautista has been an all star for many, many years. Schwarber had one good year. There's a big difference in track record.

You mean Schwarber had a good 273 plate appearances before coming into the 2017 season. 

273 plate appearances can be VERY noisy ... we actually have no idea what kind of major league hitter Schwarber is going to be. Which is why it's ridiculous to take him in the first 5/6 rounds over a long list of much more qualified/worthy players. 

Schwarber is now a career .213/.328/.421 hitter (the sample size presently sits at 475 plate appearances)

Edited by EmbargoLifted

I don't think he's bad, I think he has lost his confidence. That wasn't just any series and that layoff was the whole season. I have him benched daily till he breaks through. Dumping him on the wire so someone can pick him up for nada isn't happening. 

Schwarber is a 24 year old career .213/.328/.421 major league hitter (~475 PA) 

There's obvious pedigree here .. but having pedigree is no where close to being a substitute for actual major league production/track record. 

If you were prepared to burn a top 60ish pick on Schwarber then it's silly to drop him at this point .. 

My point isn't that he's a bad player .. it's that we don't know what kind of player he is. And his ADP was way too high to begin with.

Edited by EmbargoLifted
2 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Schwarber is a 24 year old career .213/.328/.421 major league hitter (~475 PA) 

There's obvious pedigree here .. but having pedigree is no where close to being a substitute for actual major league production/track record. 

If you were prepared to burn a top 60ish pick on Schwarber then it's silly to drop him at this point .. 

My point isn't that he's a bad player .. it's that we don't know what kind of player he is. And his ADP was way too high to begin with.

Oh so what you're saying is that he has less than 500 major league plate appearances?

2 minutes ago, the_wolfman said:

Down to .170 with his 0-4 performance today. :rolleyes:

They really need to move him down in the lineup - or maybe to Iowa for a tuneup. Something needs to change, 

His ceiling is low. .220 bad bodied guy with some homers and no real position

On 5/30/2017 at 2:37 PM, Low and Away said:

Curious what players you draft in the first 10 rounds that produce in a standard 5X5. Can't be any pitchers and I doubt there are ten offense players that contribute in all 5 that one manager could draft in a 10+ team league. 

I do a lot of drafts every year can't remember seeing that happen even when I was just drafting offense in my first ten rounds of 8 team leagues

You mean there aren't safe, 5 category producers available in the 10th round of your draft?  I mean, I drafted Paul Goldschmidt in the 10th round this year, so I don't know what ya'll were doing.

1 minute ago, 89Topps said:

You mean there aren't safe, 5 category producers available in the 10th round of your draft?  I mean, I drafted Paul Goldschmidt in the 10th round this year, so I don't know what ya'll were doing.

Nope which is why I wondered whom he drafted.

Just now, bigbluecrew56 said:

Batting 7th and 2 K's already today. WOW. Minor Leagues next stop 

I have him in a couple leagues, but it's actually getting to the point where the suckage is so extreme that I find it funny.  If a guy is hitting .190, you go, "Damn, why is this guy sucking so much?"  When it gets into the .150 territory, it starts getting comical and memorable.