NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kyle Schwarber 2017 Outlook

1 minute ago, ktierne3 said:

would anyone like to start a betting pool on the number of at bats before he gets a hit again?

Dude, I'm actually rooting for him to hit like .140 just for the laughs.  I own him in my most high-stakes league and I'm running Martin Maldonado out there, who's not actively hurting me as much as Schwarbs did.  If he turns it around, I can put Schwarber back in there, but it would be funny to see him break the all-time record for futility.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, mjk356 said:

Dude, I'm actually rooting for him to hit like .140 just for the laughs.  I own him in my most high-stakes league and I'm running Martin Maldonado out there, who's not actively hurting me as much as Schwarbs did.  If he turns it around, I can put Schwarber back in there, but it would be funny to see him break the all-time record for futility.

I sense that he may spoil me with a nice 3 for 30 stretch again here. Catch me if I swoon.

That was an awfully quick minor league stint for a guy who has struggled as much as he has. Even if they did feel he had made adjustments to his swing they didn't give him very long to turn those adjustments into good habits. Maybe it works out, but I would be a lot more optimistic about his ROS outlook if he had spent a couple more weeks down there and continued to rake. 

I don't envy Maddon as he has to balance playing his best leadoff hitter (Jay), with getting young power guys like Schwarber and Happ enough at-bats without putting too much of a dent into Russell and Baez's playing time. 

I think Theo would have never considered tradimg Schwarber before and now might consider it with Happ's emergence. You don't want to sell low on him but there should still be an appeal out there.

Trading one of the young big league players might make sense this year if you can get the right fit in return. 

Edited by ryno1980

First HR since being called up. I believe he doubled last night as well so do we believe the turn around? I personally think he has more talent than hes shown so far this year.

1 minute ago, TXTaz said:

First HR since being called up. I believe he doubled last night as well so do we believe the turn around? I personally think he has more talent than hes shown so far this year.

Looks like he's swinging well.  I inserted him back in my lineup today, so I'm pleased.  To be fair, almost any MLB hitter has more talent than what Schwarbs has shown so far this year.

2 minutes ago, mjk356 said:

Looks like he's swinging well.  I inserted him back in my lineup today, so I'm pleased.  To be fair, almost any MLB hitter has more talent than what Schwarbs has shown so far this year.

Haha fair enough. I just think, based on talent, you can only fall so far and over a full season, you can you expect at least 70/70 and 25HRs so for me, hes a great buy low.

Crushed a homer center left and lined out to opposite field. Great to see! Maybe the gm's quote of schwarber making adjustments in the minor leagues hitting to the opposite are legit. If this were to come into fruition with his place discipline improvements this year and that power!! We could be in for a solid second half!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2017 at 3:14 PM, absknicks said:

He made a brutal play out there yesterday as well. He's a major net negative for that team right now, really don't know how much longer they can afford to keep trotting him out there especially since the Brewers look more legit by the day. 

Schwarber currently sits 8th in defensive fWAR among left fielders in MLB. Keeps improving. And offensively, the OPS is up over .850 in July. 

50 minutes ago, ryno1980 said:

Schwarber currently sits 8th in defensive fWAR among left fielders in MLB. Keeps improving. And offensively, the OPS is up over .850 in July. 

Yea, he's a real asset in my defensive fWAR, defensive runs saved & UZR150 league.

34 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Yea, he's a real asset in my defensive fWAR, defensive runs saved & UZR150 league.

Hate on the posters bringing up defense if you don't like it. Just throwing out some actual fact-based evidence so the thread can stay on point. 

1 hour ago, ryno1980 said:

Yeah it's all due to his arm (Dave Cameron recently touched on this). His range is still terrible out there. But yes, he's been better in July offensively, good to see. 

Edited by absknicks
11 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Yeah it's all due to his arm (Dave Cameron recently touched on this). His range is still terrible out there. But yes, he's been better in July offensively, good to see. 

Yeah he has No. 4-rated arm, but he's 20th in Fangraphs' RngR among the left fielders with at least 200 innings played. I'd agree with mediocre at best, but he's nowhere near the Kemp, Melky Cabrera and others that I'd call terrible. 

Edited by ryno1980