NBC Sports Edge Forums

Chicago Cubs 2017 Outlook

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure Jay will start a lot vs. RHP and LHP and bat some leadoff. I think Almora and Jay play about the same amount of innings.

Just trying to pick one that we might see most often.

But last year's most often used lineup was used six times. 130 different lineups.

3 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Is Hendricks a fluke?

Is Montgomery worth a shot in even shallow leagues?

No, not a fluke. 

After the Brett Anderson signing, Montgomery will need a starter to get hurt to be in the rotation except for when/if they go to six starters for small stretches. He'd have some valuable in a holds league. 

1 hour ago, jb_power said:

^

You don't think Jon Jay starts vs RHP?

Almora could easily be the CF of the future for this team. Racked up 0.9 WAR in only 117 PAs last year, I think the guy is probably a 3-4 WAR CF right now. Doesn't walk a ton so I'm not a supporter of the idea that he'll lead off a ton initially but if anything we saw with the stick from Almora in 2016 is remotely repeatable I think he'll run Jay off the job in short order. 

4 minutes ago, ryno1980 said:

No, not a fluke. 

After the Brett Anderson signing, Montgomery will need a starter to get hurt to be in the rotation except for when/if they go to six starters for small stretches. He'd have some valuable in a holds league. 

Why so definitive that the job is Brett's? 

7 minutes ago, taobball said:

Why so definitive that the job is Brett's? 

Mostly because Montgomery proved how good he can be in the bullpen. The one year Anderson threw out of the pen (Oakland, 2013) he was pretty bad. 

I suppose there's a chance it goes the other way, but I'd think that would involve Anderson getting hurt or pitching really poorly in the spring. 

Just now, ryno1980 said:

Mostly because Montgomery proved how good he can be in the bullpen. The one year Anderson threw out of the pen (Oakland, 2013) he was pretty bad. 

I suppose there's a chance it goes the other way, but I'd think that would involve Anderson getting hurt or pitching really poorly in the spring. 

Meh I think they should have a pretty even shot. Montgomery has a ton of upside that Brett just doens't at this stage of his career. 

4 minutes ago, taobball said:

Meh I think they should have a pretty even shot. Montgomery has a ton of upside that Brett just doesn't at this stage of his career. 

Yeah, nothing against Montgomery. Anderson still has some upside IF he can get back to that mid 60 percent GB rate. Sounds like good times with 3 gold glove caliber infielders...But Montgomery could have great GB rates too. Maybe they'll give them both a good chunk of starts.

Edited by ryno1980
Just now, ryno1980 said:

Yeah, nothing against Montgomery. Anderson still has some upside IF he can get back to that mid 60 percent GB rate. Sounds like good times with 3 gold glove caliber infielders...But Montgomery could do the same. Maybe they'll give them both a good chunk of starts.

Could do the same at a younger age with a higher upside and the potential to actually be more than a back-end rotation guy. 

Well for whatever reason PECOTA has the Cubs down 13 wins from last year and at 90-72 for 2017. That puts them behind the Dodgers 98-64,Astros 93-69,Indians 92-70 and tied with the Red Sox. PECOTA is expecting them to give up nearly 150 more runs this year than last.

As for the Anderson and Montgomery debate, I think the vast majority of the year you're going to see a 6 man rotation so there should be ample starts for both Anderson and Montgomery.

4 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Well for whatever reason PECOTA has the Cubs down 13 wins from last year and at 90-72 for 2017. That puts them behind the Dodgers 98-64,Astros 93-69,Indians 92-70 and tied with the Red Sox. PECOTA is expecting them to give up nearly 150 more runs this year than last.

WS hangover.

• 1 month later...

Taking a moment here away from the fantasy talk (so my apologize if I'm jamming up this thread)...

Tomorrow is going to be one of the more awesome/emotional/fantastic moments in a VERY long time for me.  I've been a die hard Cub fan since 1983 - attended every opener since 1985 (and will be there tomorrow night).  To see the Chicago Cubs franchise raise a Championship banner at WRIGLEY FIELD tomorrow will be the #1 highlight for me out of the entire Championship run last year.

I cannot wait for tomorrow... going to be an unreal evening!

Edited by IlliniGuy76
6 minutes ago, Carlos Correa said:

These are damn nice rings.

C9QcRpXVYAAkfKD.jpg

Some facts I heard about the rings.

1.  It's the largest Championship ring ever (in all of American sports)

2.  It's the most expensive Championship ring ever

3.  The Cubs bought every full time employee a ring

4.  When they got the invoice for # of rings they bought .... It was 1908 (got the chills when I heard this)

7 hours ago, FouLLine said:

Some facts I heard about the rings.

1.  It's the largest Championship ring ever (in all of American sports)

2.  It's the most expensive Championship ring ever

3.  The Cubs bought every full time employee a ring

4.  When they got the invoice for # of rings they bought .... It was 1908 (got the chills when I heard this)

Another fun fact is that of course, there is a picture of a billy goat on the ring.

C9P-RPoUwAAZfIT.jpg

Edited by Carlos Correa

Rizzo seems to be heating up. Double and then steals third. Really need Bryant to start getting on base and for someone other than Schwarber to lead off (I've seen arguments for it but I still don't buy him as a 1 hitter).

The mad wizard Madden is pulling out all stops this year.  I just checked my teams eligibility on CBS.  As of today, Rizzo has appearances at 2nd base (I believe he had one all of last year) and one OF appearance.  Also interesting, Schwarber, Baez, and Zobrist each have an appearance at 1st (but Schwarber has none at catcher).  At this rate, Rizzo may be my starting MI by mid-June...

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

With the Pen exhausted today Miguel Montero ended up pitching a scoreless inning.

Topped out at 82.  But a scoreless inning.

Not that it's solely his fault that the pen is completely taxed already, but Brett Anderson's time as a Cub needs to be over. I really hope that Theo sees that he's going to need to make a move for an arm sooner rather than later or by the half way point this bullpen is going to be in shambles.

2 hours ago, FouLLine said:

With the Pen exhausted today Miguel Montero ended up pitching a scoreless inning.

To make matters worse for him, catcher Miguel Montero pitched a clean ninth inning, lasting two more outs than Anderson did.

6 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

To make matters worse for him, catcher Miguel Montero pitched a clean ninth inning, lasting two more outs than Anderson did.

Gotta love baseball baby!!!