NBC Sports Edge Forums

Chris Archer 2017 Outlook

1 hour ago, ranger danger said:

Way to be reactive. He walks two guys that innings and suddenly he's junk? He's gone 5+ in 3 of his 4 starts this year (and could easily go 5+ today) and has over a k/inning for the year. Just a stupid post.

If you followed Archer's career you would notice that despite his immense talent, as evidenced by his K's, he walks too many batters, goes too deep into games and therefore doesn't get a lot of Quality starts.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, smeeze said:

What happened in the first inning???  Not the way I wanted to start the week...

..and now the second inning. ridiculous this game.

just a bad game for Archer.

9 minutes ago, twelve20 said:

Control issues today, he just doesn't have it.  It would have been far better had Miller and Beckham been able to turn that double play in the first.  He gets out of the inning with only 1 ER.

Yep that killed him. Could of timed that attempted double play turn with a sundial.

Frustrating to own as one of your supposed "aces" on H2H because these occasional blow up just kill your ratios for the whole week. 

Thinking of dealing, but just wondering what people's thoughts are ROS? Is this just who he is? Or might we see a similarly great second half to 2016 that'll make me regret trading him?

• 4 weeks later...

What is wrong with Archer's ability, or lack thereof, to pitch to the game in order to generate a "W"?

It seems like the moment he gets a lead, he blows it.

I'm not asking much, my team doesn't need help with ERA or strikeouts, I just need a netW.   Or at least stop undoing the strong efforts of the rest of my staff over a two day period (Stroman, Nova, Paxton).

• 2 weeks later...

Most frustrating pitcher in baseball to own, bar none. Dude's offense has put up 14 runs in 5 innings and he still produces a hella mediocre line. No more saying Tampa sucks, they're in the playoffs if the season ended today and they are lighting it up on offense this season. Archer needs to pull his weight.

This guy won't be the pitcher he needs to be until he begins to work with his changeup. He's throwing the slider way too much, begins to lose control on the fastball & also becomes predictable. He needs to work on the change up & mix things up. He has all the potential to be top 10 pitcher. 

I used to have crazy confidence in this a kid but these last few starts have made me pretty apprehensive going forward. Once a no brainer start has now turned matchup driven. This week terrifies me but what about the always start your studs mantra.  Todays cubs daytime start could bring more fireworks than we were hoping for on murica's birthday.

Edited by AroundTheHorn
45 minutes ago, motown magic said:

The league is littered with Solid-Not great -Not bad.

This isn't what most expected when drafting or trading for Archer.

If he makes 33 starts like he did in 2016, then he's on pace for 212.2 IP, 13 W and 255 K (10.8/9 IP) to go along with his 3.95 ERA and 1.24 WHIP.  The IP, W and K would all be career highs.

Last season he had 201.1 IP, 9 W, 233 K (10.4/9 IP), a 4.02 ERA and a 1.24 WHIP.

I think owners are getting what they should've expected from a RD 5 SP.

We all knew we would be getting K's with Archer and also knew he is prone to blowups every now and then. The problem a lot of us are having though is we aren't seeing signs of improvement and that's tough to fathom with this kind of pedigree.  Maybe he's just reached his ceiling?