NBC Sports Edge Forums

Chris Archer 2017 Outlook

8 minutes ago, Bravesfan155 said:

If there was a stat category for number of times a pitcher has blown his own win in the 5th-7th innings, he'd lead the league.

If Kiermaier or probably anyone else in the organization is in CF he only gives up the 1 run and is in line for the win.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Bravesfan155 said:

If there was a stat category for number of times a pitcher has blown his own win in the 5th-7th innings, he'd lead the league.

I read that it was an error by Mallex Smith that allowed the Rangers to tie the game with two outs. Then Archer's wild pitches let Beltre score. He might have let the winning run cross because of his wildness, but if what I read is accurate, Archer didn't blow his own win. 

Edited by Flyman75
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Silverdome_Loyal said:

Nope

I'm glad you're confident. I'm not. He didn't pitch well for

most of June and July, and now he's going on the road against a top offense. Even without Springer and Correa, Houston is still a very good team. 

I'm in a h2h league and my opponent this week has Gio. So I'm behind the 8 ball already. That said, I'm starting Archer. No Springer and no Correa. Yeah, the Astros are still dangerous. But they're no longer a historic offence without those two. Archer is a top 10-15 SP and you p much have to live and die with those guys. That's what you got them for.

I've watched Paxton dominate this Houston lineup three times already.  Archer can as well, it's all about focus with him.  No mistakes.

3 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

You don't draft someone like Archer to bench him.

Well of course you don't draft Archer to sit him. But when he's been pretty pedestrian for two months (aside from Ks), it becomes a consideration. He's given up more hits than IP in 6/9 starts. He's given up 3-4 ER in 6/9 starts, and all of them were of the 6 IP variety...so that's no bueno for ratios. He hasn't had the cataclysmic failure, but he hasn't been an elite SP over the last couple of months. I don't consider benching elite SPs. I do consider benching SPs who are only providing elite numbers in one category, especially when it's a category that I'm winning by a large margin. Trust me, I do NOT want to bench him tonight (and I still might not), but I'm at least thinking about it. 

Just now, Flyman75 said:

Well of course you don't draft Archer to sit him. But when he's been pretty pedestrian for two months (aside from Ks), it becomes a consideration. He's given up more hits than IP in 6/9 starts. He's given up 3-4 ER in 6/9 starts, and all of them were of the 6 IP variety...so that's no bueno for ratios. He hasn't had the cataclysmic failure, but he hasn't been an elite SP over the last couple of months. I don't consider benching elite SPs. I do consider benching SPs who are only providing elite numbers in one category, especially when it's a category that I'm winning by a large margin. Trust me, I do NOT want to bench him tonight (and I still might not), but I'm at least thinking about it. 

You do what you do boo.

5 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Lol. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. Asked the initial question to gauge what others are thinking about him right now. 

I wouldn't bench him. I drafted Archer as my first pitcher, although I did trade him because I needed a shortstop. I know he hasn't performed the way owners have wanted him to, but he also hasn't really blown up ratios either. You know you're going to get the strike outs and the likelihood of him pitching great is better than him getting blown up. I'm not willing to risk sitting Archer and then have to watch him throw 7 IP, 1 ER with 10 strikeouts on my bench. I will live and die with the guy I drafted as my ace. 

Edited by hangin n wangin

So now the forum knows more about the players than major league coaches . Thinkg is he wasn't taken out and he got hit . 

Say what you want but it is what it is . This is the same guy that lost 19 last year . Guess most of those were coaching issues 

• 5 weeks later...

Makes no sense to take him out after two batters unless he is ill or injured.   Anybody see what happened?  I'm in the Tampa Bay area so ironically that's the only game I *can't* watch on MLB.tv.

diagnosed with "right lateral tightness"  left as precaution, but also could be future signs of things to come?

They are waiting a few days to see how arm responds before making decision on his next start.

Marc TopkinVerified account @TBTimes_Rays 3m3 minutes ago

#Rays say Archer "will be observed by trainers over the next few days to see if he can make next start or be pushed back"

I want to believe the team when they say it's muscular and not structural, but Archer's usage has been HEAVY in recent years, and "forearm tightness" often portends elbow damage. I really need him for the playoffs, since I was relying on him and Paxton to anchor my rotation and Paxton is hurt.