Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

James Paxton 2017 Outlook


mysonx3
 Share

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, PremiumPlus said:

 

Apparently someone who goes in the 10th-12th round is drafting pitching high now? You're obviously right about bats being more predictable but acting like drafting him was a mistake is just silly. Everyone knew what he was capable of and that he's a high injury risk, hence his ADP.

 

What i meant was that I was glad that I didn't. Certainly Paxton isn't drafting a pitcher high. If I thought that, I wouldn't really have much of a pitching staff.

 

I'm just saying that the injuries continue, no matter who it is or how good the pitcher is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Short Porch said:

Jeez.  I just wanted to get some idea of what we are looking at here.  I am not writing a book on the subject.  So I just googled forearm strain and pitcher and used the 2016 time frame to give everyone an idea of a possible length of time he might be on the DL.  I didn't omit anyone from my search and I even included Heaney who ultimately missed the whole year last year.  In my search I stumbled upon the Pineda 2015 DL stint.  I am sorry my list doesn't go back 10 years so you can get a more detailed look at a forearm strain.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a dick. I just think that list gives people a false sense of security since  so many injuries requiring TJ are initially classified as "forearm strain" but the classification is changed after the fact to UCL tear (or something similarly serious) and that list only includes players who ended up with the best scenario.

Edited by cs3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a dick. I just think that list gives people a false sense of security since  so many injuries requiring TJ are initially classified as "forearm strain" but the classification is changed after the fact to UCL tear (or something similarly serious) and that list only includes players who ended up with the best scenario.

A strain is a tear. It's a matter of degrees. With guys like Tanaka I feel like we are in uncharted territory as far as TJ is concerned. As a Joe Rogan listener I constantly hear about all of the cutting edge treatments out there for soft tissue injuries. PRP injections, stem cell therapy, etc. I feel like the landscape is changing on TJ injuries and we need to adjust expectations accordingly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, BohCountyBats said:

A strain is a tear. It's a matter of degrees. With guys like Tanaka I feel like we are in uncharted territory as far as TJ is concerned. As a Joe Rogan listener I constantly hear about all of the cutting edge treatments out there for soft tissue injuries. PRP injections, stem cell therapy, etc. I feel like the landscape is changing on TJ injuries and we need to adjust expectations accordingly.

You're correct that a strain is a tear, but forearm =/= UCL. It's often the case that forearm strain is code for torn UCL, but we just don't know for sure

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Petey Pop said:

Anyone confident buying low for this guy? Seems to be a minor issue.

Always fair deal of risk when dealing with injury, especially arm injury.  Remember Britton forearm was minor also.  Rumored to be more wrist than forearm.  Comes back and immediately back on shelf for at least 6-8 weeks.  If you don't got many DL guys and can take a gamble id buy and hope its minor like they say.  But if you got 4+ DL guys and are waffling in standings probably best to sit this one out.

Edited by Cmilne23
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

If he comes back healthy eventually, the time off might be a blessing in disguise, as it means he might make it to H2H playoffs even at an IP limit of say, 160.  

But he's not a young guy on an innings limit. That argument only works if there was reason to believe the pitcher in question was going to have his innings capped/get shut down.

Edited by mysonx3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, mysonx3 said:

But he's not a young guy on an innings limit. That argument only works if there was reason to believe the pitcher in question was going to have his innings capped/get shut down.

Agreed. Him missing this month doesn't mean he's now going to give us through the rest of the year. He's just as likely to get injured again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, mtblock said:

Agreed. Him missing this month doesn't mean he's now going to give us through the rest of the year. He's likely to get injured again.

 

FTFY

 

I'm not selling until he goes a month+ without issues to get a decent return on this lotto ticket.  I'm pessimistic about his ROS outlook.  The guy's career history is replete with injuries.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mysonx3 said:

But he's not a young guy on an innings limit. That argument only works if there was reason to believe the pitcher in question was going to have his innings capped/get shut down.

 

He might not be on an innings limit, but have you looked up the most innings he's ever pitched in an MLB season?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

 

He might not be on an innings limit, but have you looked up the most innings he's ever pitched in an MLB season?

You insult me. I'm THE Paxton afficianado, and you think I don't know that? Haha. His most in a year was 170 last year, between MLB and MiLB. But the argument still only works if the team was going to artificially limit his innings.

Edited by mysonx3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, mysonx3 said:

You insult me. I'm THE Paxton afficianado, and you think I don't know that? Haha. His most in a year was 170 last year, between MLB and MiLB. But the argument still only works if the team was going to artificially limit his innings.

 

 

He threw 170 IP in 2013 also.   As far as I know, he never had an innings limit, this year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Paxton (forearm) tossed a successful 37-pitch bullpen session Sunday and will make a rehab start with Double-A Arkansas on Friday, Greg Johns of MLB.com reports. He'll likely rejoin the Mariners' rotation on May 31.

Paxton has had no issues as he progresses through his rehab program over the past couple of weeks. If all goes according to plan, the hard-throwing lefty is on track to make his return against the Rockies on May 31.

 

This game would be in Seattle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...