NBC Sports Edge Forums

James Paxton 2017 Outlook

The following pitchers have been terrible this year:

Verlander, Tanaka, Cole, Arrieta..etc etc.

SP is so very hard to come by this year and Hrs are popping out like crazy.  

And your going to trade a guy who still has an ERA of around 2.00 because of 1 or 2 bad starts?

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Rammer28 said:

Hes struggling to throw strikes. Nothing's been reported but I'm thinking it's related to the forearm strain. Just hasn't been right. Hope I'm wrong. 

First 5 starts: 32.1 ip / 39 Ks / 6 walks

Last 4 (including the one right before the DL stint): 19.2 ip / 19 Ks/ 11 walks

No way to sugarcoat the last 2 starts, very disappointing....Hoping to hear something from him or the manager tomorrow about the outing or his health.  Don't need to start him this week but might anyways. Just have a gut feeling he's going throw a good one against Texas. 

Can't beat up on the Jays too bad anyway, isn't J-Pax Canadian (Big Maple)? Considering how he started the season before getting hurt, and two of the games he pitched so well was against the Stros, I can understand the concerns, or should I say the high expectations??

Edited by Z06vette
12 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

@mysonx3 Where are you?

6 hours ago, swfcdan said:

Im wondering too. Are you getting worried?

Haven't gotten a chance to look into this start at all and didn't get to watch it (was watching Felix in Tacoma - which I'll be posting about at some point today), so not sure if anything looked different for him. I wouldn't worry TOO much though. It's a crazy year for pitching and he's been relatively consistent (in comparison to the rest of the SP crowd). But again, the only thing I know about yesterday's start was the box score.

He has to be going on the DL now...he cannot throw a strike to save his life unless it is a meatball right over the plate

Glad I dealt him yesterday. Something is still amiss. This is a physical issue (injury). I think he has the makeup to be great but something is still off. Who knows if it will ever be on again this season.

The kool aid in this thread is strong. Saying "it happens" would work if his pattern hasn't been: bad game/DL Trip for forearm/bad game/bad game/bad game.

That's a pattern of poor performance centered around an arm injury. Cause for concern is real. Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.