NBC Sports Edge Forums

James Paxton 2017 Outlook

15 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

I see your point, but I'm not going to make a decision based on one specific start. Sure the Phils are bad, but even bad lineups are capable of beating up on aces from time to time. I am more curious to see how his next 2-3 starts go. If they are similar to what we have seen the past 2 weeks then he would be very droppable.

I'm gonna choose to believe the recent reports of mechanical issues. If he's healthy then it has to be a mechanical flaw. You just don't go from throwing 97-99 to throwing 92-93 without any reason.

Right, and that factors in too. I think two more starts should tell us whether it is mechanical or health. If it is mechanical, one would like to think it could be figured out in two weeks. Sure, if the velocity is good and the results are bad, that doesn't mean a straight drop.

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how anyone can be dropping him right now.  I highly doubt there's any higher upside arms on your WWs.  

It probably boils down to one of 2 things:

1.  Flaw in his mechanics: hopefully the coaches have seen enough and know how to fix it, or;

2.  He's hurt: likely DL stint incoming.  In which case you put him in a DL slot.

The Phillies just roughed up Robbie Ray yesterday.  They're not a good offense by any means, but Joseph, Altherr (.927 OPS vs. LHP), Kendrick (.911), and even Joseph and Franco can put a hurt on lefties.

Bench and wait it out.  I'm disappointed that he got hurt because he is so dominant when he was healthy but it is just how the cookie crumbles with pitchers.  Let's hope that he can stay healthy and get his groove back.

What's the verdict tonight? Detroit's lineup is chock full of righties and it seems like they'd perform well against an LHP (no stats to back this up if anyone has any insight, I know JD mashes them). I'm still thinking of starting anyway.

Starting but not confident. Just hoping for a decent outing. It's more to do with the fact that it's Wednesday and I haven't had a starter go yet this week. I hate when my arms all get bunched up at the end of the week.

9 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

Starting but not confident. Just hoping for a decent outing. It's more to do with the fact that it's Wednesday and I haven't had a starter go yet this week. I hate when my arms all get bunched up at the end of the week.

Look on the bright side, it means a bunch of 2 starters next week!

2 hours ago, bradwatson said:

This for me also.  I wish I had the luxury of benching him to see normalization but I just don't.  

Confidence level?  M'eh

I can do some arbitrage with my pitchers this week, so he is sitting. Hope to see some improvement though.

Edited by Scaramanga

Start him and thank me later.  He got his corrections.  He's going to carve this lineup up.  They're throwing all righties at him.  Problem is righties hit .237 off him and 60% of these righties are losers.

35 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Start him and thank me later.  He got his corrections.  He's going to carve this lineup up.  They're throwing all righties at him.  Problem is righties hit .237 off him and 60% of these righties are losers.

If he's horse**** tonight I'm blaming you!

You will not be able to measure with existing technology on how much he is going to get destroyed tonight