NBC Sports Edge Forums

James Paxton 2017 Outlook

On 8/9/2017 at 4:03 PM, mtblock said:

Don't scare me like that. You see a SP thread randomly pop up on the day he hasn't pitched (especially with Paxton) can give you a heart attack.

I think he will always be discounted because of the injury aspect. He can't help your team if he's not playing. I can see in the CMart ballpark next year.

Ah yesterday...

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, elrey said:

It's not arm related, the M's are in the middle of a playoff run and there's 2 months left in the season. He needs to toughen up and pitch through it

Pectoral strains are not something pitchers can toughen up and pitch through. The two pectoral muscles act on the shoulder and play significant roles in most of the phases of pitching. There is zero chance the Mariners will let him pitch through it. He's most likely getting an MRI this morning to confirm the diagnosis and will be heading to the DL. How long will depend on the severity of the strain. Love the talent but this guy can't stay healthy. I won't be touching him in the top ten of starting pitchers in drafts next year for this reason.

I think a bit of perspective on this is important. Paxton is made of glass and everyone knows it, this year he's going in the 10th-12th round of your typical draft. Other SP around there this year was largely the following:

• Hill
  • Porcello
  • Keuchel
  • Gausman
  • Hernandez
  • Harvey
  • Stroman
  • Lackey
  • Matz
  • McCullers.

Looking at that list, outside of Stroman there is nobody I'd rather have over the full course of this season. Yeah Paxton is missing a tonne of time but when he's healthy he's been absolutely incredible to own, and for 10th-12th round I'm content with the value I got.

Get better soon Pax.

7 hours ago, elrey said:

It's not arm related, the M's are in the middle of a playoff run and there's 2 months left in the season. He needs to toughen up and pitch through it

Never pitched before eh? Sounds like a great way to make an injury worse, while destroying our stat lines in the process.

Sing it with me now..."the pec muscles connected to the...."

"It just felt like I cramped up a little," Paxton said. "I'm going to get an MRI tomorrow to see how serious it is. I don't think it'll be anything too serious and, obviously, I don't want to miss time right now, so hopefully it's nothing big."

Hope hes right, but players are usually wrong 100% of the time.  Most recently Starlin Castro slowed down just in time so his hamstring just "cramped".  One month + later and......?  

40 minutes ago, evillaw4eva said:

He's always hurt so nothing to see here. This guy sucks 

There's a huge difference between "this guy sucks" and "this guy is injury prone".  When healthy, Paxton is an ace.  When it comes to pitching, it doesn't get much farther away from sucking.

5 hours ago, pittsports87 said:

There's a huge difference between "this guy sucks" and "this guy is injury prone".  When healthy, Paxton is an ace.  When it comes to pitching, it doesn't get much farther away from sucking.

If he only plays half the time he sucks 

3 hours ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

helped make my keeper decisions for next year easier. High end pitching is hard to find right now and he's been fantastic. On pure talent he's among the best but he just gets hurt too often. 

I think he's literally been hurt every season of his career dating back to college.  He was rumored to be in discussion of being number one overall pick one year he was eligible but fell due to injury concerns.  I highly doubt he'll ever sniff a 200 IP season.  I usually buy the notion of "you can't predict injuries" but with James I think you can.  He's a fantastic arm talent but if you own him just pray for 120-150 IP and hope the 1-2+ DL stints he'll have are minor.

Edited by Cmilne23

He just does not have the willpower it takes to be great and master of his own domain.  He certainly will not be holding bamboo sticks in the horse stance a la Yip Man any time soon.

Edited by STLSU

James Paxton was traded twice in my league. Now in both cases, the owner that  traded for him has been burned by an injury. 

When both owners were complaining about it, my response was, "What did you expect?" Paxton will always fall into the avoid column for me unless the price is super cheap. The ace potential is not worth it if he is unreliable, especially in H2H leagues.

3 hours ago, warningtrackpower said:

James Paxton was traded twice in my league. Now in both cases, the owner that  traded for him has been burned by an injury. 

When both owners were complaining about it, my response was, "What did you expect?" Paxton will always fall into the avoid column for me unless the price is super cheap. The ace potential is not worth it if he is unreliable, especially in H2H leagues.

key words here.  He is much like Stras in that Stras may as well have his own TM on the word.  Like "he Strassed his elbow," or he's "Paxed" for the season.

If they haven't looked capable of giving you 30 starts like almost ever, then don't overpay on draft day.  These are 2 great names who will be forever overvalued because of something that was only accomplished on paper in everyone's imaginations but their own.  They are their own worst enemies.

On 8/11/2017 at 9:06 AM, Cmilne23 said:

"It just felt like I cramped up a little," Paxton said. "I'm going to get an MRI tomorrow to see how serious it is. I don't think it'll be anything too serious and, obviously, I don't want to miss time right now, so hopefully it's nothing big."

Hope hes right, but players are usually wrong 100% of the time.  Most recently Starlin Castro slowed down just in time so his hamstring just "cramped".  One month + later and......?  

ding ding ding mfer.  I can  not emphasize it enough.  I can see a head case a mile away and stay far far far away.  Those kind of reclamation projects could take an entire lifetime lol.