NBC Sports Edge Forums

James Paxton 2017 Outlook

I doubt anyone in a keeper league built there team around him as their ace. If he's your SP4 or 5 and you can combine his stats with whatever bench orWW replacement when he's hurt, that's well worth it. People focus on players in a bubble too much. 

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Eddy24 said:

I doubt anyone in a keeper league built there team around him as their ace. If he's your SP4 or 5 and you can combine his stats with whatever bench orWW replacement when he's hurt, that's well worth it. People focus on players in a bubble too much. 

Unless you somehow drafted unbelievably well, you don't have 3-4 pitchers better than Paxton.

2 hours ago, Deke said:

Unless you somehow drafted unbelievably well, you don't have 3-4 pitchers better than Paxton.

Depends on if you started your keeper recently. If you have had it for a few years (maybe 4 or 5+), then I could reasonably expect that you could have a few aces that grew into their own.

If you're in a keeper league and he's your ace, I would say you have some trouble (or have a number of other injuries) and are taking a big risk.

6 minutes ago, Donkey Doolittle said:

Got a 1st round bye and need him I two weeks for the quarter finals... Chances he's back in two weeks instead of three like you say?

I need him ASAP as well. Supposed to start throwing tomorrow or Wednesday. I'm guessing Seattle will want to see a rehab start before activating him which I can't see happening until sometime next week.  A lot depends on the starting point of the throwing program and how fast he progresses through it.  

2 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Any noteworthy news on Paxton?

Nothing new to report until this weekend when he begins mound work. It might be another two weeks after that before he actually gets activated. 

1 hour ago, Piotr said:

Just in time for me to be lucky if I get him back for one start in my league's playoffs. This is assuming my team survives long enough. 

same....sucks.  hes such a good pitcher.  im probably going to keep him in my keeper(keep 8) just because if he can pitch 190 innings hes totally worth it

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Scaramanga said:

Looks like he is coming back next week. Any thoughts about his upcoming schedule?

If he gets the Rangers on Wed then he'll see the Rangers again the following Tues at home. Wouldn't expect him to get more than 60 pitches in the first start. So if control is good could get 5 innings out of him.

3 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

The Rangers matchup wouldn't be too bad, they are 17th in wRC+ against LHP. The Astros are 2nd, so I would definitely bench him in that matchup.

this, im going to pitch him vs texas for sure