NBC Sports Edge Forums

James Paxton 2017 Outlook

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, motown magic said:

Why? Because of the 50 pitch limit ? That could be 6 innings. The Stros just got swept by the A's. I own him and I'm starting him

6 innings in 50 pitches? Probably hasn't happened more than 3 times all season across the majors. I'll be surprised if he even goes 5. Starting him @HOU is entirely too risky in a playoff week. I'll only start him if I'm completely desperate.

22 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

6 innings in 50 pitches? Probably hasn't happened more than 3 times all season across the majors. I'll be surprised if he even goes 5. Starting him @HOU is entirely too risky in a playoff week. I'll only start him if I'm completely desperate.

I agree, in my point leagues K PAX Is too much of a risk. If I make it to next week I will probably start.

I don't like to be the told you so guy but I really don't understand why anyone started him. First game back from an injury that kept him out over a month against a great lineup on the road, and with a very low pitch count. What did you guys expect? This was an easy sit for me.

1 hour ago, bradwatson said:

I don't like to be the told you so guy but I really don't understand why anyone started him. First game back from an injury that kept him out over a month against a great lineup on the road, and with a very low pitch count. What did you guys expect? This was an easy sit for me.

I sat him in the 2 leagues I own him and unfortunately will be doing the same next week. His velo was done and his command was way off. I seam to recall him struggling for about 4 starts when he came back from his previous injury earlier this year. I also sat Alex Wood this week in 3 leagues so I'm not quite the fantasy genius I'd like to be.

Edited by meh2

Yahoo pro leagues are coming up on the semi finals in h2h playoffs. He's been awesome to own, but he may be droppable at this point. He takes a while to ramp back up to his peak as seen from his earlier post DL stint this season. 

Only concern is you don't want to drop him only for your opponent to pick him up and throw a gem. 

I just don't see him turning back into a beast in two weeks time. If we still had a month to go? Sure. But time is running short now and I think he's a liability more than anything next week.

4 minutes ago, RaZcal said:

Just not sure if I should drop him now and stream next week instead. This is tough. 

Based on his performance last week I don't think you can start him in the playoffs. His success is highly dependant on super high velo and it was way down this week. Too risky to assume it will be back in 5 days time just coming back from injury.

Based on his performance last week I don't think you can start him in the playoffs. His success is highly dependant on super high velo and it was way down this week. Too risky to assume it will be back in 5 days time just coming back from injury.

I should mention that I am in a points league. It may not be as bad if categories are not a factor. 

Do you still think he should be dropped?

11 minutes ago, RaZcal said:

I should mention that I am in a points league. It may not be as bad if categories are not a factor. 

Do you still think he should be dropped?

I'm in a points league, if you can pick up somebody to help you win I would go ahead and drop. Pax will probably be on a 75 pitch limit. Best case scenario would be 5 innings 5 strikeouts and a win, which would be great if you had confidence he would accomplish that line. In my format, worst case scenario out weighs the best and if you add in his injury history it adds to the risk. Any kind of soreness prior to his start next week would leave you with zero points.

Getting burned by McCullers scratch this week is still fresh in my mind. Sitting him, but will be a sucker next draft and will pick up at least one share.

I just cut him in 2 Yahoo Pro leagues...

Decided I didn't trust him enough to start him vs TEX and there's no room for dead weight at this point.

IF he looks ok Thursday AND I make it to my finals AND I can pick him back up then maybe next week...

if not thanks for the season Paxton, maybe one day you'll get through a year healthy!

5 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Any of you guys starting J-Pax on Thursday against the Rangers? They are 19th in wRC+ against LHP. 

I think so. In my finals and in a super tight ratios battle though so have considered dropping him.

I think it's his second start back, hoping he kicked the rust off in that horrible outing off the DL.

5 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Any of you guys starting J-Pax on Thursday against the Rangers? They are 19th in wRC+ against LHP. 

I have him in 2 leagues and I'm leaning toward benching in both. I knew he would be rusty his first start back but his diminished fastball velocity from that sttart is the main reason I'm benching him. 

This is exactly what happened the last time he came back from the DL: struggled with reduced velo. But after an adjustment period, he dominated. I sat him for his return just in case this happened again (although truthfully if it wasn't HOU I probably would've started him bc I'm desperate as an Archer and McCullers owner), and I'll see how things are going this week in my matchup before I decide on starting. Let's hope he can bounce back quicker this time around. But if you have good alternatives, give it another week.

Edited by dmac88