NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Trevor Story 2017 Outlook

urban2014

2 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

He is owned in 87 percent of Yahoo leagues. The last person who used your strategy dropped Castro who is now in my DL spot 

Oh, he's owned in 87 percent of yahoo leagues? I didn't know that. I retract all previous comments then.

He's owned in 93 percent of all CBS leagues. 

YTD: 35th ranked SS

Last Month: 39th ranked SS

Last 14 Days: 49th ranked SS

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Going with my gut, plus due to the fact I am first and can afford his non production. And the fact that he can't be this bad

That's fine, you can go with your gut if you please, but it doesn't really add anything to the Trevor Story Outlook thread.  Nobody's making roster decisions based on your gut.

And he can absolutely be this bad - his K% and BB% are abysmal, literally all he does (as crotchcrickets said) is he tries to hit the ball hard and hit it in the air.  When he doesn't have the launch angle right or the Hard% to sustain it, you go from a .230 hitter with 30+ HR to a .230 hitter with 20 HR and pretty worthless.  

4 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

You can literally say that about most players in the league . The fact is, Story is a top ten SS in a down year for the position.  

He's in a down year and he's not even close to Top 10 in anyone's Player Rater.

Sickels (rated him a B prospect) was pretty accurate on him before the start of last year.  It actually might give some managers a bit of hope given he's been so streaky before.

"He also has a reputation as being streaky, though this was less of an issue in 2015 than in past seasons. Story is the type of guy who could hit .280 with 20 homers one year then .220 with eight homers the next but my gut feeling is that he started to figure some things out last year."

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/3/29/11327832/what-to-expect-from-rockies-rookie-shortstop-trevor-story

Just now, handyandy86 said:

He's in a down year and he's not even close to Top 10 in anyone's Player Rater.

And yet, somehow my very competitive league mates can't find anyone better then Wade Beckhem and Swanson. Damn I guess I play with minions

5 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Give me your top ten SS

I mean what metric do you want to go by?  Top 10 rest of season for re-draft?  Top 10 so far this season?  This is getting pretty far off base for the Trevor Story thread, but he's #17 SS in ESPN Player Rater for my league, behind such powerhouses as Asdrubal Cabrera and Didi Gregorius.  I'm not saying he's going to be worse than them ROS, but even comparing to other 'slumping' SS he's been bad.  

1 minute ago, urban2014 said:

And yet, somehow my very competitive league mates can't find anyone better then Wade Beckhem and Swanson. Damn I guess I play with minions

If you're in a 10 team league and there are teams starting Beckham and Swanson then yes, you play with minions.  If you play in a larger league than 10 teams then stop making the arbitrary cutoff a "top 10 SS" when you're talking about a league that rosters 15+ SS.

3 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

I mean what metric do you want to go by?  Top 10 rest of season for re-draft?  Top 10 so far this season?  This is getting pretty far off base for the Trevor Story thread, but he's #17 SS in ESPN Player Rater for my league, behind such powerhouses as Asdrubal Cabrera and Didi Gregorius.  I'm not saying he's going to be worse than them ROS, but even comparing to other 'slumping' SS he's been bad.  

If you're in a 10 team league and there are teams starting Beckham and Swanson then yes, you play with minions.  If you play in a larger league than 10 teams then stop making the arbitrary cutoff a "top 10 SS" when you're talking about a league that rosters 15+ SS.

12 team and redraft H2h Behind Cabrera? Does that also take into consideration the time he missed? 

21 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Give me your top ten SS

Here's 16 I have above Story for this season:

1. Correa 2. Machado 3. C. Seager 4. Segura 5. Bogaerts 6. Lindor 7. Andrus 8. Owings 9. Cozart 10. Simmons 11. Nunez 12. Villar 13. Gregorius 14. Gyorko 15. A. Cabrera 16. Peraza

Story is above guys like Swanson, Arcia, Russell, Baez, Galvis, Crawford, Barreto, Semien etc. in my opinion.

CSB, I own Story in a 10-team league with a MI and a utility spot. The only one of those 15 who is unowned is Cabrera, and I would probably make the switch if we didn't have weekly acquisition limits and Story wasn't at home this week. I do believe there's more upside with Story than with other options, so I agree with your points that some teams in most leagues could stand to own Trevor Story (I happen to own one of those teams in my league).

EDIT: Forgot Villar. Might have missed some guys as I made this quickly and the rankings could certainly change as I think more about it. Bigger point is those guys I prefer to Story ROS.

Edited by bigpapi88
forgot Villar

2 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

12 team and redraft H2h Behind Cabrera? Does that also take into consideration the time he missed? 

It's just based on total stats, but Cabrera has fewer ABs than Story this year because he was injured too.  Cozart, Segura, Gregorius, and Cabrera all have fewer ABs than Story and are higher on the Rater.  Whether you look at it from a per-AB basis or not Story has been bad.

1 minute ago, handyandy86 said:

It's just based on total stats, but Cabrera has fewer ABs than Story this year because he was injured too.  Cozart, Segura, Gregorius, and Cabrera all have fewer ABs than Story and are higher on the Rater.  Whether you look at it from a per-AB basis or not Story has been bad.

Ok, fine, got a bit of topic , I will let Story speak for me . I didn't include Gyorko and many others due to them not being actually SS but that loophole makes it harder

The thing is, just about any WARM BODY playing SS in Coors should be rosterable in most leagues, which just show exactly how bad Story has been.

Remove the Coors factor and bigpapi88's list, which is already a bit generous, probably doubles in length. Look at how bad Tulowitski is now for example, all those guys would pass up Story on the list too. 

3 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

The thing is, just about any WARM BODY playing SS in Coors should be rosterable in most leagues, which just show exactly how bad Story has been.

Remove the Coors factor and bigpapi88's list, which is already a bit generous, probably doubles in length. Look at how bad Tulowitski is now for example, all those guys would pass up Story on the list too. 

Peralza passing Story is generous? 

19 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

Of course it doesnt matter about the Coors factor until he's actually no longer a Rockies. It is what it is but if he struggles bigtime this week I am likely bailing.

Everyone has to set their own limit to how long they wait for Story, but I don't think being home or away at this point is going to make much of a difference. In June his launch angle was an average of 12 degrees with an over 40% GB rate - you still can't hit it out of Coors if you're hitting the ball on the ground. 

When he was mashing last year he was hitting ridiculously deep bombs, the kind that go out in any park. No need for thin air to help it carry. Either he figures out his swing plane and hits well or he doesn't and keeps stinking IMO. 

The argument really isn't about Story, it's about logic and reasoning. Any thread where someone comes in and takes a contrarian point of view and only substantiates it with "just trust me" or "you'll see" is going to turn into a poo chucking contest no matter who the player is.

In this day and age, when there's a veritable cornucopia of available stats, hunches just don't cut the mustard.

1 minute ago, GrapeJuice said:

The argument really isn't about Story, it's about logic and reasoning. Any thread where someone comes in and takes a contrarian point of view and only substantiates it with "just trust me" or "you'll see" is going to turn into a poo chucking contest no matter who the player is.

In this day and age, when there's a veritable cornucopia of available stats, hunches just don't cut the mustard.

The actual argument was actually SS being an absolute wasteland this season apart from those elite ones

Nice illustration of his season so far:

I actually just traded Taijuan Walker for him in a 15-teamer redraft so I found this video a bit depressing but still think it's worth the risk. 

1 hour ago, absknicks said:

I actually just traded Taijuan Walker for him in a 15-teamer redraft so I found this video a bit depressing but still think it's worth the risk. 

I would give anything to trade Story for Walker - you're too kind. 

Yesterday I tried trading Story AND Villar for Michael Pineda. That trade was rejected so the owner was basically signaling he considered both guys waiver wire fodder. I don't blame him.

This is really a new low point in fantasy and desperation. Can't even give away my 3rd and 4th round pick for a guy named after a piñata. 

18 minutes ago, Rainyy said:

I would give anything to trade Story for Walker - you're too kind. 

Yesterday I tried trading Story AND Villar for Michael Pineda. That trade was rejected so the owner was basically signaling he considered both guys waiver wire fodder. I don't blame him.

This is really a new low point in fantasy and desperation. Can't even give away my 3rd and 4th round pick for a guy named after a piñata. 

Haha, I'm pretty low on Walker. And I owned Story last season and have always been a sucker for Colorado bats so that probably played into it. I understand the frustration and have heard a lot about him screwing with his launch angle and then supposedly subsequently correcting it (not sure if that's accurate just what I've heard on a couple of podcasts)... sounds like he's all over the place with his swing and that's messed up his entire approach.