NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Trevor Story 2017 Outlook

urban2014

43 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

ok. I can see how launch angle info can help someone make adjustments and make better contact. But my point is that those adjustments would be the key to any improvements, not him getting into the batters box thinking "ok, I'm going to change my launch angle", the way fantasy baseballers talk about it here on rotoworld. That's obviously ridiculous.

Yes, agreed. That's simply a lazy explanation. There is more to it than saying out loud, "I'm going to hit more fly balls". If it's mechanical in nature (usually is) those changes can take a long time. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, rlaalsrb said:

man I really hope Story gets himself back on track so I don't have to see all the Rodgers/Valaika talk in here

it's not talk, it's the truth. rodgers will be the SS next year. 

17 minutes ago, cdd10 said:

it's not talk, it's the truth. rodgers will be the SS next year. 

erm talk and truth are completely different things, i don't know why you would think those two would be mutually exclusive.

Just now, urban2014 said:

Do you simply come here to say how bad of player he is? And the Rockies aren't resigning DJ

no sir. and how do you know that they won't re-sign him? i don't have to say how bad he is, the numbers say that.

2 minutes ago, cdd10 said:

no sir. and how do you know that they won't re-sign him? i don't have to say how bad he is, the numbers say that.

Beating the drum isn't going to get you anything.  And DJ has a contract that the Rox won't renew. Just wait and see

1 hour ago, bdawkins456 said:

Is he honestly completely droppable in most formats outside of deeper leagues?

If I weren't 13 games ahead of second place in my 12 teamer I would have dropped him already. I think if you have a cushion it's worth a wait and see, but if you're fighting for positioning in the standings I think the time to move on will be in the next couple of weeks if he doesn't show any signs of life.

One of the managers at my job who's a huge baseball fan told me he thought Story was going to bust back in March...I should have listened. 

On 7/12/2017 at 3:23 PM, Backdoor Slider said:

Actually UZR & RngR (Range Runs) both show him as a negative, or below average, SS.

On 7/12/2017 at 5:01 PM, Fiveohnine said:

I'm not sure what fangraphs search you did to come up with this conclusion. But clearly you didn't get there by watching baseball. Story isn't a complete butcher as far as errors go. And there are few guys who are worse. But his range/arm are pretty far below average.

Swinging with an uppercut is about the dumbest thing you can ever do in baseball. Anyone who has ever played will tell you that. In fact, just go to a batting cage and swing with an uppercut to confirm this for yourself.

But you're right, it wouldn't take rocket science to know that in order for one moving object to have the greatest impact on another moving object, it's best for both objects to be moving the the exact opposite direction.

The angle at which the ball comes off the bat is almost exclusively from where the ball hits the bat. Not from swinging with an uppercut, which they tell you do avoid even in little league.

I understand that metrics are gold in today's game (both real world and fantasy) but sometimes the eye test can also be telling..

A large portion of it could be that he plays between two gold glovers, but having watched nearly every Rockies game he very rarely has plays where you say "well that should've been an out."  From my point of view he's average at one of the most difficult positions on the field. 

11 minutes ago, tsh00k said:

I understand that metrics are gold in today's game (both real world and fantasy) but sometimes the eye test can also be telling..

A large portion of it could be that he plays between two gold glovers, but having watched nearly every Rockies game he very rarely has plays where you say "well that should've been an out."  From my point of view he's average at one of the most difficult positions on the field. 

This is the problem with they eye test though (and why Jeter won so many gold gloves). Story doesn't make a ton of errors, which of course is great. But he also doesn't have a ton of range. So part of that is he gets to the easiest of balls, and not much more. Some of these metrics just do a good job of telling the whole story. 

Just now, Backdoor Slider said:

This is the problem with they eye test though (and why Jeter won so many gold gloves). Story doesn't make a ton of errors, which of course is great. But he also doesn't have a ton of range. So part of that is he gets to the easiest of balls, and not much more. Some of these metrics just do a good job of telling the whole story. 

Agreed.  I do want to say that I had the pleasure of watching Tulo for years and the difference in range between those two is pretty hilarious...  

4 hours ago, bdawkins456 said:

Is he honestly completely droppable in most formats outside of deeper leagues?

Here's the thing: I drafted Story at the beginning of the season so I could get some power from the SS position. The market for power-hitting shortstops is barren. If someone like Gyorko or Owings was available, I'd gladly drop Story for them. But there's just no one available that can fill his role in my lineup, so I'll stick with the upside.

3 minutes ago, ArcaneCharge said:

Here's the thing: I drafted Story at the beginning of the season so I could get some power from the SS position. 

And how is Story, the power-hitting SS, working out for you? Can we really expect a 15+ HR second half? I am just not seeing it. 

2 hours ago, Rainyy said:

And how is Story, the power-hitting SS, working out for you? Can we really expect a 15+ HR second half? I am just not seeing it. 

I don't think anybody is expecting much of anything from Story at this point. But your roster is probably in a pretty sorry state if you're forced to play him every day. Dude is on my bench and has upside, as Arcane is alluding to. I think there's a good argument for holding him in plenty of situations. I'm in a 12-teamer and even further in front of second than lbjames is, and he's my bench bat. Nobody comes close to his upside on the wire at the moment. Even I'm on the fence about cutting him loose at this point, but I'm probably going to see how the next week shakes out first.