• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

Based on what?

Based on the fact that he's buckling in the face of pressure. I get the yanks are protecting him by calling it an ankle injury. The guy was getting smoked at the plate. They gave him a month to shut it down and get restarted, 2 weeks later after struggling he's having a "setback" with his ankle. Not buying it. He's not reacting well to the spotlight of the show. 

Knobloch got the yips playing in NYC, more pressure than twins/MN. It collapsed his fielding at 2b and eventual career.

Ankiel got such bad anxiety before pitching, Daryl Kyle got him vodka to put in his Gatorade bottle before and during games.

Byrd showing similar signs of distress in pros. He's overwhelmed and yanks are trying to nurse him through it. 

Edited by Highlander72

If nagging injuries, which all players deal with over 162 games, knocks him so far off his game he can't hit over .150, he's screwed. If there is any guy you can quickly label injury prone, it's Greg Bird. I think it's just as much to do with mental as it is physical. Girardi seems annoyed by it too and I'm sure that's because the trainers are coming back with scans and X-rays saying he's fine but Bird keeps blaming his slumps on being "hurt". 

Edited by Highlander72
6 hours ago, Highlander72 said:

Based on the fact that he's buckling in the face of pressure. I get the yanks are protecting him by calling it an ankle injury. The guy was getting smoked at the plate. They gave him a month to shut it down and get restarted, 2 weeks later after struggling he's having a "setback" with his ankle. Not buying it. He's not reacting well to the spotlight of the show. 

Knobloch got the yips playing in NYC, more pressure than twins/MN. It collapsed his fielding at 2b and eventual career.

Ankiel got such bad anxiety before pitching, Daryl Kyle got him vodka to put in his Gatorade bottle before and during games.

Byrd showing similar signs of distress in pros. He's overwhelmed and yanks are trying to nurse him through it. 

Like when he was first called up and had a pretty solid couple of months? Was he buckling then? This is the biggest crap I have ever read. Remember when Tex only had a bone bruise that basically knocked him out of all last season and it turned out that he actually broke his leg? 

7 hours ago, Highlander72 said:

If nagging injuries, which all players deal with over 162 games, knocks him so far off his game he can't hit over .150, he's screwed. If there is any guy you can quickly label injury prone, it's Greg Bird. I think it's just as much to do with mental as it is physical. Girardi seems annoyed by it too and I'm sure that's because the trainers are coming back with scans and X-rays saying he's fine but Bird keeps blaming his slumps on being "hurt". 

7 hours ago, Highlander72 said:

If there's anything more annoying than amateur doctors on RW forums, it's amateur psychologists smh.

9 hours ago, Highlander72 said:

To add to what others have said, if the Yankees are frustrated with a 24-year-old mentally struggling after a year and a half of injuries, then they're the idiots. Every org in baseball has dealt with TJS and other long-term injuries; I don't believe for a second they're writing a kid off as soft two months after coming back from over a year of missed time due to shoulder surgery. Every player has their mental battles and IF those are playing a role in Bird's struggles, then the Yankees would be incredibly stupid to take them lightly. Hell, we always talk about how little difference managers make in the strategy of baseball; dealing with personalities and the mental aspects of professional baseball should be where a good manager shines.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Router said:

Huh? Found a picture of him at batting practice in Scranton (Yankees AAA) from around 5 hours ago. 

Yeah, the timing of that Girardi quote was weird. Bird was back running this weekend and as you mentioned taking batting practice today. So it's not like he's expected to be out the whole year.  I think it speaks more to the uncertain nature of what's wrong with him. Until they figure it out, you never really know. Between him and David Dahl, its been a bit perplexing. But we might see him in a week or a month or never

On 6/15/2017 at 10:21 PM, Highlander72 said:

Knoblauch had successful seasons in NY before getting the yips. It wasn't playing in NYC that gave them to him. And I don't believe the spotlight is what's affecting Bird. That seems like a stretch. 

On 6/15/2017 at 11:21 PM, Highlander72 said:

What kind of crazy conspiracy theory do we have going on here? 

He does have an ANKLE injury.  The ANKLE not being right has caused his inability to perform in games well.  Before he had the ANKLE injury he had a nice stretch in New York the other year and played just fine under the bright lights. 

He does not have the yips aka the inability to throw the ball back to the pitcher (for catchers) or to a particular base (aka fielders as well as pitchers named Lester).  He has a messed up ANKLE.  Once the ANKLE injury happened it has remained a nagging injury probably aggravated every time he tried to play on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like some inflammatory comments have leaked regarding Bird.

The newspaper report quoted a "Yankee insider" saying, "You really wonder what's with this guy. You'd think with Judge and Sanchez, the guys he came through the system with, doing so well up here he'd want to be a part of this. Apparently not."

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19906716/new-york-yankees-injured-first-baseman-greg-bird-questioned-desire-come-back-wants-play