NBC Sports Edge Forums

Josh Donaldson 2017 Outlook

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, austinrbreeden said:

Okay then tell me what other shortstop that has his power?

I am going to agree with AustinBreeden. If we get a full healthy season ahd his 2015 numbers, that has to be the number one SS for fantasy.

36 minutes ago, austinrbreeden said:

It's between him and Machado. I think Manny loses eligibility there next year though. 

Yeah machado is only going to be 3rd next year. I bet when he signs with a different team in the future he will move back to SS.

1 hour ago, Picard56 said:

I am going to agree with AustinBreeden. If we get a full healthy season ahd his 2015 numbers, that has to be the number one SS for fantasy.

So let me get this straight.... when its time to draft next year, you are going to rely on stats from a season 3 years removed as justification to draft Donaldson as the 1st SS off the board? What? Sorry but 2015 is almost irrelevant.

Edited by cs3
30 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Why would it? He is already playing. Or is there a surgery coming in the off season?

Exactly my point. These guys hanging off Donaldson's nuts seem to have completely forgotten about Correa

2 hours ago, cs3 said:

So let me get this straight.... when its time to draft next year, you are going to rely on stats from a season 3 years removed as justification to draft Donaldson as the 1st SS off the board? What? Sorry but 2015 is almost irrelevant.

Let me get this straight... why do I have to have the same opinion as you? Maybe you should go grab on to correa's nuts his thread B)

Picard, my point is that what Donaldson did in 2015 hardly matters when you are planning for your 2018 fantasy season. That was a lifetime ago by fantasy standards. Hes going to be 32 years old, which isn't a death sentence by any means, but is certainly around the age where many players show decline. And he had chronic leg injury problems this year. Those are likely to become more frequent/severe as he gets older. Correa on the other is just entering his prime and is a phenomenal talent. I also see a pretty high likelihood that Seager has a higher ADP than Donaldson next year too, even with his somewhat disappointing year.

5 hours ago, cs3 said:

Picard, my point is that what Donaldson did in 2015 hardly matters when you are planning for your 2018 fantasy season. That was a lifetime ago by fantasy standards. Hes going to be 32 years old, which isn't a death sentence by any means, but is certainly around the age where many players show decline. And he had chronic leg injury problems this year. Those are likely to become more frequent/severe as he gets older. Correa on the other is just entering his prime and is a phenomenal talent. I also see a pretty high likelihood that Seager has a higher ADP than Donaldson next year too, even with his somewhat disappointing year.

Ok so, Donaldson if you were to prorate Donaldon's numbers this year, he would be pretty close to his 2015 mvp season. I agree with you that Correa is awesome, but Donaldson is really good too. I don't see Seager being a 40 homer guy for now, while if Donaldson had SS and you could get 35-40 homers from him that would make him a SS1.

6 minutes ago, cs3 said:

The original quote was that Donaldson would be #1 OVERALL. Ahead of Trout, Stanton, Bryant, Harper etc etc. 

Which is just absurd

Well Donaldson has the same hr potential of guys like Arenado and Harper and he hovers around .270-.300 when healthy. So if he had SS eligibility, he'd have the best value by far of any position player. Definitely top 3.

Edited by austinrbreeden
1 hour ago, B&F said:

Is this guy going to be available at a discount next season?  

Define discount. Total guess, but I bet he goes within a round of last year's adp. Track record and position will keep him up there.