NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Josh Donaldson 2017 Outlook

urban2014

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/3/2017 at 4:15 PM, borindia said:

Right now, he's my back up to Moustakas.

Likewise, which is saying something since Moustakas apparently goes 0-fer in 85% of his games and has multiple horrid 3 week stretches this year, right?

Sounds like there's some trade interest floating around, but no formal talks. Gotta imagine it would take a lot to get him but it'll be interesting to monitor if anyone gets serious. Anything to get his bat going would be welcome at this point.  Just saw the Cardinals listed on RW front page. If made available I gotta imagine interest would be high regardless of recent struggles. Some interesting fits out there. 

10 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Sounds like there's some trade interest floating around, but no formal talks. Gotta imagine it would take a lot to get him but it'll be interesting to monitor if anyone gets serious. Anything to get his bat going would be welcome at this point.  Just saw the Cardinals listed on RW front page. If made available I gotta imagine interest would be high regardless of recent struggles. Some interesting fits out there. 

Houston is another spot there's been some speculation around.

16 minutes ago, cad300 said:

Would love to see Boston pull the trigger on something, but imagine the Jays won't trade to a rival like that. 

Boston or the NY would be a boon to his value, but yeah that would be tough to do within the AL East. 

4 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

I'd rather he stay in TOR than go to any NL team - then we'd have the lack-of-familiarity-with-NL-pitchers issue to deal with on top of everything else.

And we lose the ability for him to DH if he's banged up. If he's dealt, hoping he stays somewhere in the AL. 

Just now, Red Sox Nation said:

And we lose the ability for him to DH if he's banged up. If he's dealt, hoping he stays somewhere in the AL. 

Yeah no doubt. 

After thinking about it a while longer I think it would make a lot of sense for TOR to just burn this thing down and start dealing everybody - getting young - and taking their lumps for awhile.

No one on this current roster shows a lot of promise for the future - I don't follow minors at all so maybe there's some sort of answer down there. The pitching staff is average, the hitters are faded-glory types. I do think JD has a lot left in the tank but this year is looking lost. If TOR demands a premium on him and another team is willing to roll the dice it may just be best for everyone involved. He's under team control until 2019 I believe, so rest of this season and then 2018 and then time's up to do something.

1 hour ago, SuperJoint said:

No one on this current roster shows a lot of promise for the future - I don't follow minors at all so maybe there's some sort of answer down there. The pitching staff is average, the hitters are faded-glory types. I do think JD has a lot left in the tank but this year is looking lost. If TOR demands a premium on him and another team is willing to roll the dice it may just be best for everyone involved. He's under team control until 2019 I believe, so rest of this season and then 2018 and then time's up to do something.

They actually have some solid pieces, the crown jewel being Vlad Guerrero Jr.  Bichette, Alford, Foley.  Problem is they're, for the most part they're 2-3 years away.  That underlines your point though. If they stand pat until reinforcements, their current staff is going to be done and they'll probably have years of mediocrity ahead of them.  If they sell for some good building blocks and get some luck, they could be legitimately competitive again as soon as 2020.

2 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:

on my bench yeah - isn't it funny when you ride a guy during all his putrid starts.  He comes back to life when you finally benched him. lol!

How can he be on the bench when some teams aren't even playing