NBC Sports Edge Forums

Eric Thames 2017 Outlook

3 hours ago, ryno1980 said:

"That's what Eric Thames playing the outfield has been about the last week or so. That's one way (Aguilar) gets at-bats," said Counsell. "There will be some games where Eric doesn't play and he gets at-bats. But (Aguilar is) a first baseman, so it's going to be at first base."

Translation: Thames is the starter at first base and a regular in the lineup until he proves he doesn't deserve to be. Aguilar will get some starts, especially while he's swinging a hot bat.

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

My translation to what Counsell said---- Jesus Aguilar is the first baseman and if he continues to hit he stays at first, which makes Eric our 4th outfielder

So let me get this straight --  

1) Counsell says "That's one way (Aguilar) gets at-bats.  There will be some games where Eric doesn't play and he gets at-bats."

2) @shakestreet interprets this to mean Aguilar is the starting 1B?

So now "one way he gets at-bats," and "some games where Eric doesn't play," means Thames is a bench bat.  Got it.

I can't help you with reading comprehension.  That's quite the leap of logic to land where you've landed based on Counsell's quote.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, myzto said:

My interpretation is that Thames is the 4th OF until Aguilar sucks again or Santana is just plain awful. 

I dropped Thames.  This guy will be available in April and there's someone better to bet on going into the season. I had a league where Ryan Healy was still available and a week or so back I made the swap.  I haven't regretted but it's nice to re-visit the situation for the additional "feel good" boost. 

This guy should have been an exciting story and something to watch, but it looks like just one of those stories that turn out with no prize. Maybe after Aguilar is hitting below the Mendoza line in early May.  Aguilar went and earned himself the job. 

I'm not saying you shouldn't prefer Healy to Thames.  I am saying we have absolutely ZERO proof that Aguilar has earned himself ANYTHING.

The dude wasn't even guaranteed a roster spot, and didn't get that confirmed until yesterday.  Now he's the starting 1B?  Come on, guys.

9 minutes ago, myzto said:

My interpretation is that Thames is the 4th OF until Aguilar sucks again or Santana is just plain awful. 

I dropped Thames.  This guy will be available in April and there's someone better to bet on going into the season. I had a league where Ryan Healy was still available and a week or so back I made the swap.  I haven't regretted but it's nice to re-visit the situation for the additional "feel good" boost. 

This guy should have been an exciting story and something to watch, but it looks like just one of those stories that turn out with no prize. Maybe after Aguilar is hitting below the Mendoza line in early May.  Aguilar went and earned himself the job. 

Why are people jumping to this conclusion?! It's literally mind blowing. Did you read what Counsell actually said? Sure, Aguilar will get some at bats due to his strong spring, and that's fine. If Thames doesn't hit and Aguilar does then sure, he may take the spot. Who would want to own Thames at that point anyway?

As it stands now, Thames is the starter at 1B and Aguilar will get occasional at bats when Thames sits or if he plays in the outfield.

5 minutes ago, tywalson said:

Why are people jumping to this conclusion?! It's literally mind blowing. Did you read what Counsell actually said? Sure, Aguilar will get some at bats due to his strong spring, and that's fine. If Thames doesn't hit and Aguilar does then sure, he may take the spot. Who would want to own Thames at that point anyway?

As it stands now, Thames is the starter at 1B and Aguilar will get occasional at bats when Thames sits or if he plays in the outfield.

Yeah but then what?

11 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Nobody is acting like they know it all. It is a thread about Thames in which guys are making their best guesses based on a particular set of factors...just like you did. You just happen to come to a different conclusion and have a different perspective. 

you are right ....

the Counsell quote says it all  ... based on Thames spring I believe all he is for the Brewers is a 4th outfielder while others think he is the starting first baseman

4 minutes ago, tywalson said:

I don't see that Thames is the starter at 1B .... if that is the case why isn't Thames playing first?

Aguilar is playing first and Thames is playing OF 

1 minute ago, Shortnphat said:

Yeah but then what?

This could literally be said about anything in life.

"I'm going to go out for a drink after work."  "Yeah but then what?"

"It's going to rain tomorrow."  "Yeah but then what?"

If we knew the future perfectly, there'd be no point in playing this game.

1 minute ago, shakestreet said:

the Counsell quote says it all  ... based on Thames spring I believe all he is for the Brewers is a 4th outfielder while others think he is the starting first baseman

I don't see that Thames is the starter at 1B .... if that is the case why isn't Thames playing first?

The two first statements are inherently contradictory.  

The Counsell quote absolutely doesn't say that Aguilar is the starting first baseman and Thames is the 4th OF.  You *believe* all Thames is for Milwaukee is a 4th OF, yet have zero proof of this whatsoever.

It comes across as a personal crusade against Thames?  Did he cut you in line somewhere?  Kick your dog?  What?

Some facts:

Thames is the starter right now. Aguilar made the team and the Brewers "need to find a role for him."

Starters, especially those that aremt superstars, will sit in favor of promising bench players (Aguilar) from time to time.

Zero games have been played. 

Thames has someone pushing him so he needs to perform or he will not retain that starting job. 

Games begin Monday.

8 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Thames started at 1B yesterday. He's started at 1B three times in the last week, and Aguilar has started 4 times. While he's also getting time in the OF, where do you get that Thames isn't playing 1B? He clearly is playing both 1B and OF, and there could be a variety of reasons why. 

15 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

if that is the case why isn't Thames playing first?

Simple. Ryan Braun does not need as many reps as these other two. Aguilar does not play outfield. He plays first base only.

So in order for Thames and Aguilar to be in the lineup at the same time, that's how it has to be part of the time.

Edited by ryno1980
2 hours ago, shakestreet said:

back in 2016 when the Orioles signed Kim he was suppose to be the starter in LF ..... His spring was horrible he couldn't hit and Joey Rickard came out of spring hitting and kept hitting sending Kim to the bench. That is why Kim only got 18 AB's in April. He had a good April hitting .600 but Rickard was leading off for the O's and  scoring runs ... In May Kim had another good month  eventually Kim got a chance to play and he succeeded

You are right. Saw all those blocks of did not play up till June and then another one in July.

I'm not going pretend to know how the brewers lineup will look up vs southpaw starters. But I'd think Thames still gets some starts instead of a straight platoon with the OF flexibility.

I'm really confident he will never sit vs RHP though unless he prove's he can't hit them.. Which is the more common hand.. Given he is only 1 of 2 LHH in that entire lineup + 1 Switch hitter.

Edit: Lester, B. Anderson, Finnegan, A Garrett are the only projected LHH starters in the entire NLC right now. (STL, PIT are 100% RHP rotations)

Edited by Slatykamora

excerpt from the Milwaukee Journal

Cleveland Indians, the burly slugger was informed by manager Craig Counsell that he'd made the Milwaukee Brewers' opening-day roster.

Also helping Aguilar was the fact he's out of minor-league options.

"He's on the roster, he's out of options and he's a player we're interested in," Counsell said. "The challenge now is to find a role for him as we get started here, and I think it's important that we do."

The Brewers signed Eric Thames to a three-year contract in the off-season to be their starting first baseman. But with Aguilar able to play only first base in the National League, Thames has been used in the outfield over the last week. It's a position he came up playing in the major leagues, and one he'll see some time at in the regular season now that Aguilar is in the fold.

Does this mean Aguilar is the starting 1B and Thames is starting in the OF? Which OF player will lose time Broxton or Santana now that Thames might see time in the OF?

12 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Does this mean Aguilar is the starting 1B and Thames is starting in the OF?

no

it means they're trying to find ways to play aguilar as much as they can, and that may mean that thames will get some starts in the OF. as far as which OF would lose time, santana seems to be the most at risk, since braun is braun and broxton is the CF. but the brewers like domingo also

it could also just mean their plan A is now to shift thames to the OF if one of the regulars out there misses time

they may well not know exactly what they're going to do yet

i think the amount of OF time thames has been getting the past week or so is more a function of them wanting to see if he can do it and get him some reps out there in spring when it doesn't matter what happens, as opposed to any kind of indication that OF is suddenly becoming his primary position

11 hours ago, shakestreet said:

excerpt from the Milwaukee Journal

Cleveland Indians, the burly slugger was informed by manager Craig Counsell that he'd made the Milwaukee Brewers' opening-day roster.

Also helping Aguilar was the fact he's out of minor-league options.

"He's on the roster, he's out of options and he's a player we're interested in," Counsell said. "The challenge now is to find a role for him as we get started here, and I think it's important that we do."

The Brewers signed Eric Thames to a three-year contract in the off-season to be their starting first baseman. But with Aguilar able to play only first base in the National League, Thames has been used in the outfield over the last week. It's a position he came up playing in the major leagues, and one he'll see some time at in the regular season now that Aguilar is in the fold.

Does this mean Aguilar is the starting 1B and Thames is starting in the OF? Which OF player will lose time Broxton or Santana now that Thames might see time in the OF?

Not even close.  I'm starting to think you're trolling on purpose here.  Counsell just said what several of us have argued this whole time - Aguilar earned a bench spot (made the team).  He's had a great spring, but Counsell even referenced him being out of options as a reason they're keeping him.

Doesn't remotely equate to starting 1B.

It seems pretty simple to me. If you are a team with a 52 million payroll and commit a 15 million 3 year contract to a guy he is going to at least be given a shot as a full time player until he falls on his face (in real baseball games, not ST) and becomes an expensive bench bat. 

Good for Aguilar for playing well and earning a spot on the roster but the Brewers have an obligation to their fans to at least give a fair shot to the guys their tickets are paying for. 

This past week, the Brewers have played 5 games. Here are the most common player in each line-up slot:

1 - Villar (4/5)

2 - Thames (4/5)

3 - Braun (3/5)

4.  Shaw (3/5)

5. Santana (3/5)

No other spot in the line-up had a single player bat at the same spot in any of the 5 games. Other key point, the Brewers faced all righties.

Based on the fact that the regular Brewers line-up only has 2 lefties (Shaw and Thames), I suspect Thames gets all of the games against righties. Aguilar may see some games against rigties, but in those cases, Thames plays the OF. Against a lefty alternatively, I suspect you'll see Thames play a fair bit (since 7/9 hitters are already righties), but when the manager wants to give him a day off, it probably comes against a tough lefty.

Basically, I dont't see a likely scenario where the Brewers look to have 8 righties unless Thames looks terrible or Aguilar hits like Ted Williams. I would bet that if Aguilar is stealing time from anyone, its as likely (or perhaps more likely) to be Santana than Thames.

I couldn't pull the trigger in any of my 4 leagues. He went too high. I just don't trust his Japan stats. This guy seems like his draft stock was artificially induced. Stats from Japan are no different than Triple A or Double A stats IMO. I'm not hating on the guy but it seems like his draft price was that of a proven slugger opposed to a guy who washed out and is getting a desperate second chance on a bad team. 

To each its own good luck Thames owners. However, I do suspect to see him on waivers at some point during a cold streak. And I'll be there for sloppy seconds. 

3 hours ago, Cdub2k said:

Stats from Japan are no different than Triple A or Double A stats IMO.

Korea and that would make for an awesome analog if they were AA/AAA stats. Guys don't go 40/40 in AA/AAA really at all and if they come close they are everyday major league players. I don't know where his current ADP rests but he went for $2 and $4 in my local auctions so definitely not proven slugger territory. 

thames-themed article in the mlw journal-sentinel today

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2017/03/29/brewers-camp-matter-adjustments-eric-thames/99757372/

talks about where he is and the various adustments he's been going through (schedule, seeing new pitchers, etc). recommend reading the whole thing if you're interested in the subject of thames