NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Eric Thames 2017 Outlook

colepenhagen

thames PA play-by-play update

final AB from last night - against felipe rivero. ball, foul, took a slider that started inside & broke into the zone for a strike, then swung at a slider that started in the zone and bent outside for strike 3. did chase that one

first AB today - gerrit cole. took a breaking ball for a strike, then fouled off three or four 97, 98 fastballs, then got another curve in the zone, swung and missed. probably still geared up for 98. not a chase, pitch was a strike

second AB - cole again - second pitch grounder to second off a fastball. solid enough contact but not scorched or anything

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, phillyphan21 said:

He hit his last home run on April 25.  Yes, he only has five hits since then, good for just .167, but it is objectively wrong to say he is chasing more.  In that same span, he has six walks, a 16.7% walk rate

Well, technically it's correct to say he's chasing more.

Through April 25th: 19.8% O-Swing rate

After April 25th: 20.0% O-Swing rate

20.0% is technically more than 19.8%.

But those numbers should only prove the absurdity of the notion he's chasing more in any meaningful way.

third AB today - cole again - grounded 2-1 pitch to first base, quick bat producing a surprisingly weak grounder for some reason

fourth AB - twatson - flared the first pitch opposite field for a single. not amazing contact but good hitting, if you will. mimed "pulling your arms in to fight off inside pitch the other way" into the dugout as he stood on first

After one week since the injury the BA has fallen by 70 points.  So the power outage is not the primary concern.  One has to suspect that he's playing hurt.  Unless opposing pitchers and teams have figured him out, there's no other explanation for the sudden regression.

2 hours ago, borindia said:

After one week since the injury the BA has fallen by 70 points.  So the power outage is not the primary concern.  One has to suspect that he's playing hurt.  Unless opposing pitchers and teams have figured him out, there's no other explanation for the sudden regression.

Man, I'm not saying you are wrong, but this just ain't how baseball works. 

It hot and cold streaks over and over, with many of the best going thru far longer slumps and still posting great final numbers....every season, every player. 

Thames may be hurt and Thames may not be elite, but this last week worth of numbers doesn't tell us either of those things with any certainty at all. 

1 hour ago, treat88 said:

Man, I'm not saying you are wrong, but this just ain't how baseball works. 

It hot and cold streaks over and over, with many of the best going thru far longer slumps and still posting great final numbers....every season, every player. 

Thames may be hurt and Thames may not be elite, but this last week worth of numbers doesn't tell us either of those things with any certainty at all. 

just to illustrate your point - over the past week mookie betts has a .566 OPS; arenado .511; adam jones .467; rizzo .448; stanton .422

(... please nobody respond that those guys have got established track records and thames doesn't. i know. that isn't the point)

4 hours ago, borindia said:

One has to suspect that he's playing hurt.  Unless opposing pitchers and teams have figured him out, there's no other explanation for the sudden regression.

yeah this is just... wrong. there's lots of other explanations. here are some:

* minor mechanical problem

* distracted by finding out his wife is having an affair (i don't think he's actually married)

* facing a lot of good pitchers this week, or even just being pitched really well by mediocre pitchers

* tired from hitting so many home runs last month

* just a series of ABs where he doesn't get a hit happen to be coming all in a row for no real reason

It's like people expect him to hit .400+ with 10+ homers every month. Every player goes through slumps. Thames will hit 35+ homers, 90 + RBI, and have an average of .265+ at the end of the season. Don't overreact, take it easy and enjoy the production from a guy that you spent nearly nothing for.

Edited by Fuzzy_Slippers

43 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

So you're saying Thames is going to hit at least .250 ROS?

You're not exactly reassuring owners!

Meh, that's what he's projected to hit ROS. I think he can finish closer to .270 - .275, but I'll take .250 just based purely on where I drafted him.

Eric Thames went 3-for-4 with a homer and two RBI in the Brewers' 6-2 win over the Pirates on Sunday.

Thames opened the game's scoring with an RBI double in the top of the third inning before launching a solo shot in the top of the ninth. That home run was his 12th of the season. The double was his eighth. Thames, an early MVP candidate, is batting .324/.438/.731 in 30 games this season for Milwaukee.

haha, rotoworld blurb writers are so terrible. they didn't even *mention* the fact that he sucks now