NBC Sports Edge Forums

Wilson Ramos 2017 Outlook

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ramos or Lucroy is an awfully close call right now.

Ramos has some obstacles in his way, gotta get back to 100%. But Lucroy's been downright dreadful: .642 OPS... 27 RBI in 76 games. 19xbh. 

What are the chances Texas moves him? Would it be foolish of them not to? 

"Come to papa, Coors"

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

guys He's been dreadful for last 2-3 weeks.  I know we waited awhile but how much longer before you guys start cutting bait for some producing catchers on Wire?

Basically only 2 months left in season and alot of us I am sure are in playoff hunts, so getting this level of production from catcher spot is brutal.

1 hour ago, JetsAwesome said:

guys He's been dreadful for last 2-3 weeks.  I know we waited awhile but how much longer before you guys start cutting bait for some producing catchers on Wire?

Basically only 2 months left in season and alot of us I am sure are in playoff hunts, so getting this level of production from catcher spot is brutal.

After a Ramos tryout I have returned to no catcher. With the trade deadline and prospects getting called up, I'll gladly use the extra roster spot on another position player. 

Dropped him to pick up a dropped Aaron Hicks. I've been dealing with both Ramos and Lucroy, so my year at catcher has been grand. I think Colorado deals for Lucroy. With my luck, they will trade for Avila instead. I'm very happy I wasted an early pick on Lucroy and held onto Ramos with this weird idea that he was gonna be...ya know...good

1 hour ago, crookedmacs said:

Dropped him to pick up a dropped Aaron Hicks. I've been dealing with both Ramos and Lucroy, so my year at catcher has been grand. I think Colorado deals for Lucroy. With my luck, they will trade for Avila instead. I'm very happy I wasted an early pick on Lucroy and held onto Ramos with this weird idea that he was gonna be...ya know...good

smart move on Hicks.  Im looking at that brewers catcher Manny P!

Edited by JetsAwesome
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2017 at 1:07 PM, Jyeatbvg said:

This post threw me off a bit. Ramos was a Top 3 catcher last season and has proven throughout his career that when healthy, he can hit. I think those of us who held onto him would be extremely disappointed if Ramos was the 12th best catcher ROS, or even 8th best. Even taking the adjustments he'll need to catch up to MLB pitching and a weaker Rays lineup into consideration, I'll be disappointed if he isn't a Top 5 catcher ROS.

Boy was I wrong. Dude sucks.

1 hour ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Boy was I wrong. Dude sucks.

We all were. Not wrong for taking the chance though, with the information we had, it was a good idea to take the flier on him.

I thought it was going to be a great half of a season for him since he hit 3 homers pretty fast after he returned. Since then he has really struggled. As a dynasty owner I'm hoping he returns to form next year but it is a different lineup. Last year he hit in a potent Nats lineup and this year he hits towards the bottom of a weak lineup. 

I mean, he may not ever hit like he did in 2016 but he was a decent fantasy Catcher  because he could hit 20 homers with an ok average  

Edited by Under500Forever
2 hours ago, Under500Forever said:

I thought it was going to be a great half of a season for him since he hit 3 homers pretty fast after he returned. Since then he has really struggled. As a dynasty owner I'm hoping he returns to form next year but it is a different lineup. Last year he hit in a potent Nats lineup and this year he hits towards the bottom of a weak lineup. 

I mean, he may not ever hit like he did in 2016 but he was a decent fantasy Catcher  because he could hit 20 homers with an ok average  

Well I wouldn't call the Rays' line-up weak at all. 

Ramos was off to a fast start then he got injured again and hasn't been the same since.  Hopefully he will be good to go in 2018 but this year I'm wondering if the head injury might continue to linger.

On 6/13/2017 at 2:36 AM, Travis Burten said:

I guess people have a short memory....Ramos was a legit top 5 catcher last year and with the added DH ABs, he's going to beast. Could put up .310//.370/.480 type numbers easily. He's that good, and the lack of respect hes getting in this thread is absolutely criminal. 

This turned out to be every bit absurd as it sounded at the time it was posted. 

6 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well I wouldn't call the Rays' line-up weak at all. 

Ramos was off to a fast start then he got injured again and hasn't been the same since.  Hopefully he will be good to go in 2018 but this year I'm wondering if the head injury might continue to linger.

yea , I Meant to say weaker. Last year he was awesome and I know he isn't this bad. in mid august 2016 he was still hitting .330.

That probably isn't the norm but .190 isn't either. 

Wilson Ramos top 5 catcher in 2018!

On 6/5/2017 at 6:11 PM, jb_power said:

Have you guys looked at Wilson Ramos career track record?  

The guy has had 1 excellent season and a few others with moderate success and he is injury prone.

He's going on 30 years old with a career triple slash of .269 / .313 / .430

If you're expecting Ramos to be your savior I think you're going to be disappointed.

Lots of 1/3, 1/4, 0/3 type days ahead..Better off just leaving the position empty. Outside of a few surprises (Contreras, Realmuto) and all stars (Sanchez, Posey, Molina) catcher has been a great big sh-- heap this year. 

23 minutes ago, Travis Burten said:

I'm holding, but only because I'm in a dynasty and I have signed for 2 more years after this. In redraft leagues, I would drop for sure. He's been a**, but I can't imagine him just transforming to a crappy hitter. Keeping my fingers crossed

I'm in the same boat. I dont want to drop him because we have seen that he can be productive hitter. As i said above, maybe not a .310 hitter but he can hit .270 with 20 homeruns I would take that. 

4 hours ago, jb_power said:

Have you guys looked at Wilson Ramos career track record?  

The guy has had 1 excellent season and a few others with moderate success and he is injury prone.

He's going on 30 years old with a career triple slash of .269 / .313 / .430

If you're expecting Ramos to be your savior I think you're going to be disappointed.

I'm not sure what to expect but you are correct, he is going to be 30 and Had one good season. I am holding out hope because before the 2016 season he had LASIK eye procedure and he ended up hitting very well. Who knows what is going on this year but he came back from major knee surgery and maybe the injury when he got 6 staples is affecting him. I know its alot of excuses but I'm willing to see what he does next year before i write him off

4 hours ago, jb_power said:

You win some you lose some, what can I say?  I think I got this one wrong. Wasn't the first time and I'm sure won't be the last. Catcher has been brutal for me.

Edited by Z06vette