NBC Sports Edge Forums

Toronto Blue Jays 2017 Outlook

Can we bring the mercy rule into effect? It's 15-1 we need to not use the rest of their pitching staff, we need then so they can get lit up by the Yanks and Astros

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, smeeze said:

Just give us Alex Reyes and he's all yours.

I'd want more  than Reyes  for him, i would trade him and Happ to Houston for Fisher, Martes, Teoscar and Bergman

32 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

I'd want more  than Reyes  for him, i would trade him and Happ to Houston for Fisher, Martes, Teoscar and Bergman

I'm guessing Houston says no to that, and I doubt St. Louis would do Reyes for him straight up either.  Reyes has legit ace upside.  

39 minutes ago, smeeze said:

I'm guessing Houston says no to that, and I doubt St. Louis would do Reyes for him straight up either.  Reyes has legit ace upside.  

Why would Houston say no, they don't need Fisher, they have Reddick for 3 more years and Springer's not going anywhere and they have Tucker to play the other OF spot, Bregman has been less than stellar, and the other 2 who knows what they could be

1 minute ago, azeri98 said:

Why would Houston say no, they don't need Fisher, they have Reddick for 3 more years and Springer's not going anywhere and they have Tucker to play the other OF spot, Bregman has been less than stellar, and the other 2 who knows what they could be

Just seems like a lot to give up on their end... top prospects in Fisher and Martes and I doubt they're going to throw in the towel on a guy like Bregman after a poor 1/2 season.  Just my opinions, obviously.

I do agree that a healthy Donaldson would probably put them over the top in the AL though.

Edited by smeeze

Have to remember that teams always have to overpay at the deadline to get someone like Donaldson.  People point out that AA made bad trades but it what has to be done to get top talent at the deadline....even before.  If your getting a top 3B or a CY winner it is going to cost you your top prospects.  Chances to win the World Series doesn't come along often even when your team looks good on paper.  No way I would trade Donaldson being controlled another year for Reyes coming off TJS...even if he didn't have TJS.  They are prospects, not sure things.  

3 minutes ago, TheBoatmen said:

Have to remember that teams always have to overpay at the deadline to get someone like Donaldson.  People point out that AA made bad trades but it what has to be done to get top talent at the deadline....even before.  If your getting a top 3B or a CY winner it is going to cost you your top prospects.  Chances to win the World Series doesn't come along often even when your team looks good on paper.  No way I would trade Donaldson being controlled another year for Reyes coming off TJS...even if he didn't have TJS.  They are prospects, not sure things.  

Totally forgot Donaldson has another year of control.  My bad.

Just now, smeeze said:

Totally forgot Donaldson has another year of control.  My bad.

I am pretty sure he can be given a QO after next year too.  I can see something working out with Houston for Martes, Fisher and Reed.  I don't think the Jays would want Bregman anyways with Vlad Jr up in a couple years.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

This team is a jooooooooooooke holy cow

The offense sucks. The defence sucks. The pitchers are dying. 

Retool let's go here. Move some stuff. Send Happ to the Stros for something. 

The only problem with that is that they want to compete in 2018 while they have Donaldson.  If you trade off Happ it only leaves Stroman and Sanchez as SP's.  They will only trade Happ if they get somebody who will be on the fulltime roster next year.  I agree though, this is definitely not the year, they lack the attitude and confidence they had last year.

On 7/5/2017 at 5:01 PM, azeri98 said:

Astros' management would hang up the phone but not before laughing for about 5 hours. Astros might not give up Bregman for Donaldson and Happ. Players under team control are extremely valuable. Happ right now might get you a decent prospect in A ball but but nobody very good and Donaldson would probably get you a top-25-50 prospect and another couple of interesting pieces. Bregman is a major league SS/3B with years of control. Fisher and Martes are fantastic prospects. You are vastly overrating what these guys could bring back. That's more than the Sox got for Sale and he has 3 years of control and was much more valuable than Donaldson and Happ. 

3 hours ago, Glevin said:

Astros' management would hang up the phone but not before laughing for about 5 hours. Astros might not give up Bregman for Donaldson and Happ. Players under team control are extremely valuable. Happ right now might get you a decent prospect in A ball but but nobody very good and Donaldson would probably get you a top-25-50 prospect and another couple of interesting pieces. Bregman is a major league SS/3B with years of control. Fisher and Martes are fantastic prospects. You are vastly overrating what these guys could bring back. That's more than the Sox got for Sale and he has 3 years of control and was much more valuable than Donaldson and Happ. 

Bregman has been average at best and of the other 3 maybe 1 works out, thats why they are prospects, not sure things, oh and the Red Sox gave up more for Sale than the Astros would in this deal

I'm okay if the Jays sell off non-core pieces or maybe 1 or two guys like a Marco Estrada if he has some value left after his poor season to date or maybe J.A. Happ if the right offer comes around, but I think it would be foolish to tear it down to the bones and tank at this point. It would be awful economic wise as the franchise's value is at an all-time high after the success it's had the last 2 and a half years. IMO, they should be looking to re-tool around their young core of Stroman, Sanchez, and Osuna, and look to build towards a goal of 2019 and 2020. Guys like Smoak, Donaldson, and Travis can help bridge the gap, and maybe be used as trade bait when they are playing at a high level (again for the latter two).

Looking ahead to 2020, the Jays already have a bunch of internal options in the system! Vladimir Guerrero Jr., one of the top prospects in baseball already will be 21, Bichette (likely top ten prospect in baseball at seasons end) will be 22, Alford (top 100 prospect) will be 24, Danny Jansen (2nd best hitting performance from a catching prospect in minors baseball in 2017) will be 25, and Lourdes Gurriel (Cuban prospect signed for 7 years that has some hype) will be 26. 

That doesn't include Tellez (25), Pompey (27), Pentecost (27) who are all considered dead, and Logan Warmoth (24) who was their most recent 1st round pick. Nor does it consider any of the pitchers currently at A+ or above: SRF (24), Greene (25), Harris (26), Rios (25), Zeuch (24), Romano (27), Borucki (26). 

At which time, Sanchez (29), Stroman (30), Osuna (26) and the dearly departed Devon Travis (30) will be in their primes.

The future doesn't look too bad internally, that's a top 10 prospect pool by season's end, maybe even top 5-8. If they can deepen it further with a deadline deal or two, great! There is no need to tear it down completely and reset, the St. Louis Cardinals are a great example that I hope the Jays follow.

29 minutes ago, garlando said:

I'm okay if the Jays sell off non-core pieces or maybe 1 or two guys like a Marco Estrada if he has some value left after his poor season to date or maybe J.A. Happ if the right offer comes around, but I think it would be foolish to tear it down to the bones and tank at this point. It would be awful economic wise as the franchise's value is at an all-time high after the success it's had the last 2 and a half years. IMO, they should be looking to re-tool around their young core of Stroman, Sanchez, and Osuna, and look to build towards a goal of 2019 and 2020. Guys like Smoak, Donaldson, and Travis can help bridge the gap, and maybe be used as trade bait when they are playing at a high level (again for the latter two).

Looking ahead to 2020, the Jays already have a bunch of internal options in the system! Vladimir Guerrero Jr., one of the top prospects in baseball already will be 21, Bichette (likely top ten prospect in baseball at seasons end) will be 22, Alford (top 100 prospect) will be 24, Danny Jansen (2nd best hitting performance from a catching prospect in minors baseball in 2017) will be 25, and Lourdes Gurriel (Cuban prospect signed for 7 years that has some hype) will be 26. 

That doesn't include Tellez (25), Pompey (27), Pentecost (27) who are all considered dead, and Logan Warmoth (24) who was their most recent 1st round pick. Nor does it consider any of the pitchers currently at A+ or above: SRF (24), Greene (25), Harris (26), Rios (25), Zeuch (24), Romano (27), Borucki (26). 

At which time, Sanchez (29), Stroman (30), Osuna (26) and the dearly departed Devon Travis (30) will be in their primes.

The future doesn't look too bad internally, that's a top 10 prospect pool by season's end, maybe even top 5-8. If they can deepen it further with a deadline deal or two, great! There is no need to tear it down completely and reset, the St. Louis Cardinals are a great example that I hope the Jays follow.

It would be nice to keep the current young crop of guys like Stroman, Sanchez, and Osuna, but I'm definitely listening if someone wants to overpay or offer up a nice package. That crop of guys will be hitting FA when the bulk of the minor league talent will be ready (specifically Bo and Vlad) so if you can get a nice haul for them now or next year to complement your other young farm pieces then I think you'd have to consider it.