Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Toronto Blue Jays 2017 Outlook


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Is Sanchez even a bright piece for future anymore?  He just lost an entire season to a blister.  

 

Um, yes.  Assuming he can figure out how to avoid the blister recurring and the MLB stops juicing the balls.  He has as much upside as any SP in baseball imo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, smeeze said:

 

Um, yes.  Assuming he can figure out how to avoid the blister recurring and the MLB stops juicing the balls.  He has as much upside as any SP in baseball imo.

He just has a whole offseason and underwent surgery and nothing got better.  Not sure how he can avoid it unless he stopped throwing his curveball.  Which is one of best in baseball and without it he becomes likely very mediocre.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If they don't do something we will see the same crap next year, maybe even worse, this is an old, slow team that strikes out way to much, can't get on base, can't manufacture runs, gets blown out every 3rd to 4th game, has the 2nd worst record in the AL, they won't be relevant for 3 to 5 years best case scenario

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

Ya by finishing last when they should have been in the playoffs

Maybe... I'm not so convinced. 

I think the loss of E5 can't be underscored enough. The dude was clubhouse glue, and the team really came together around him. Bautista demanding the X-million dollars or whatever can't have helped. To me, all signed pointed to a lackluster season with a potential for a WC appearance... But not making the playoffs is hardly shocking (imo).

Link to post
Share on other sites

With Justin Smoak's breakout year (9th in the MLB in wRC+ among qualified hitters!) and him getting full time at bats at 1st plus the offseason addition of Kendrys Morales, it has really limited the Jays in terms of defensive flexibility. Guys like Steve Pearce are playing LF regularly and returning brutal value defensively (-6.4 UZR in LF), and when combined with Jose Bautista's decline in RF and Kevin Pillar posting his worst year defensively (21.4 UZR last year, 1.2 UZR this year so far), and this team isn't helping it's pitchers the way it did the last two years. With Morales as the full time DH, it also puts more stress on a few of their veteran players like Bautista and Russell Martin as they can't get DH at-bats and save some wear and tear for later in the year. The Shapiro/Atkins management group in their year end address after last season stated that they wanted the team to get younger and more flexible, instead they got older and less flexible and it shows with their current 45-54 record. The offseason additions of Pearce and Morales haven't returned any value (-0.1 and -0.4 WAR this year so far respectively), and they really didn't address backup catcher until super recently with Montero (remember how bad Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Luke Mahile were?). The only signing that has worked out is Joe Smith who is having arguably his best year as a major leaguer. I know the Jays are only 6.5 GB of the 2nd Wildcard, but they would have to hop over 8 teams to get that 2nd Wildcard spot which I think is asking too much. There's always next year right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On Thursday, July 20, 2017 at 9:49 AM, Cmilne23 said:

He just has a whole offseason and underwent surgery and nothing got better.  Not sure how he can avoid it unless he stopped throwing his curveball.  Which is one of best in baseball and without it he becomes likely very mediocre.

 

He had surgery for his blister issue?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-07-20 at 1:49 PM, Cmilne23 said:

He just has a whole offseason and underwent surgery and nothing got better.  Not sure how he can avoid it unless he stopped throwing his curveball.  Which is one of best in baseball and without it he becomes likely very mediocre.

 

The blister issues just started this season (coincidentally when the MLB lowered the seams and started juicing the balls) so I don't know what the offseason has to do with his current issues.

 

2 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

He had surgery for his blister issue?

 

He had a "procedure" to remove part of his fingernail... I don't think anyone would really consider that a "surgery".

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, smeeze said:

 

The blister issues just started this season (coincidentally when the MLB lowered the seams and started juicing the balls) so I don't know what the offseason has to do with his current issues.

 

 

He had a "procedure" to remove his entire hand... I don't think anyone would really consider that a "surgery".

ftfy

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, garlando said:

With Justin Smoak's breakout year (9th in the MLB in wRC+ among qualified hitters!) and him getting full time at bats at 1st plus the offseason addition of Kendrys Morales, it has really limited the Jays in terms of defensive flexibility. Guys like Steve Pearce are playing LF regularly and returning brutal value defensively (-6.4 UZR in LF), and when combined with Jose Bautista's decline in RF and Kevin Pillar posting his worst year defensively (21.4 UZR last year, 1.2 UZR this year so far), and this team isn't helping it's pitchers the way it did the last two years. With Morales as the full time DH, it also puts more stress on a few of their veteran players like Bautista and Russell Martin as they can't get DH at-bats and save some wear and tear for later in the year. The Shapiro/Atkins management group in their year end address after last season stated that they wanted the team to get younger and more flexible, instead they got older and less flexible and it shows with their current 45-54 record. The offseason additions of Pearce and Morales haven't returned any value (-0.1 and -0.4 WAR this year so far respectively), and they really didn't address backup catcher until super recently with Montero (remember how bad Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Luke Mahile were?). The only signing that has worked out is Joe Smith who is having arguably his best year as a major leaguer. I know the Jays are only 6.5 GB of the 2nd Wildcard, but they would have to hop over 8 teams to get that 2nd Wildcard spot which I think is asking too much. There's always next year right?

I don't think they will be any better next year, maybe worse, i think it hinges on JD, he makes the team go and of course they will need starting pitching as well, Toronto has a hard time attracting top free agents for whatever reason, there are some out there this year but i doubt the Jays get any of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Maybe... I'm not so convinced. 

I think the loss of E5 can't be underscored enough. The dude was clubhouse glue, and the team really came together around him. Bautista demanding the X-million dollars or whatever can't have helped. To me, all signed pointed to a lackluster season with a potential for a WC appearance... But not making the playoffs is hardly shocking (imo).

I think if JD has a normal year for him and Happ and Sanchez played the whole year i think they would have had a good chance to get the 2nd WC spot, if you get the starts from Sanchez and Happ that Bolsinger and Biagini had + JD going .290 35 HR's 110R's and 95 RBI they would be right there, i know its a  lot of maybe's but they had a shot even with all the holes  they have

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

I think if JD has a normal year for him and Happ and Sanchez played the whole year i think they would have had a good chance to get the 2nd WC spot, if you get the starts from Sanchez and Happ that Bolsinger and Biagini had + JD going .290 35 HR's 110R's and 95 RBI they would be right there, i know its a  lot of maybe's but they had a shot even with all the holes  they have

No no, I agree with you... 100% was on board with this being a WC team, but never anything more. They had a lot  of things go right last year... no pitching injuries and the staff masked a lot of poor hitting. You can't win striking out or trying to hit a HR every single at bat... it doesn't work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, smeeze said:

 

The blister issues just started this season (coincidentally when the MLB lowered the seams and started juicing the balls) so I don't know what the offseason has to do with his current issues.

 

 

He had a "procedure" to remove part of his fingernail... I don't think anyone would really consider that a "surgery".

Not apparently to Sanchez:

 

“It’s something that I’ve dealt with for a year and a half now, two years almost. I thought I went through that point where I did try everything. I went and even got surgery, had my nail cut out to kind of prevent this and it keeps coming back. It’s definitely frustrating but if I dwell on this, I’ll beat myself up more than I need to."

Edited by Cmilne23
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Not apparently to Sanchez:

 

“It’s something that I’ve dealt with for a year and a half now, two years almost. I thought I went through that point where I did try everything. I went and even got surgery, had my nail cut out to kind of prevent this and it keeps coming back. It’s definitely frustrating but if I dwell on this, I’ll beat myself up more than I need to."

 

Fair enough, but it obviously wasn't really an issue for him last year as he pitched 192 innings.

 

I just hope he can get it figured out and do what he has to do to come back 100% next year with no recurring problems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, smeeze said:

 

Fair enough, but it obviously wasn't really an issue for him last year as he pitched 192 innings.

 

I just hope he can get it figured out and do what he has to do to come back 100% next year with no recurring problems.

I got him in every league I'm in.  In my keeper league I'm just viewing him as a lost cause.  4 DL trips.  2 different hand specialist doctor visits, a surgery.  And zero results.  He's going to have to ditch his bread and butter.  His 4 seamer may have nice velo but it's straight and if you can't fool hitters with that nasty curve they'll sit on that and destroy him.  Without that knock out curve he's worthless IMO.   Hopefully he can find some answers but I'm growing more and more leery.  Nobody seems to have any answers.  Hopefully it's just a lost season and they can regather in offseason and get him right.  But I've never seen a full 162 game slate ruined start to finish by blisters.

Edited by Cmilne23
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

I got him in every league I'm in.  In my keeper league I'm just viewing him as a lost cause.  4 DL trips.  2 different hand specialist doctor visits, a surgery.  And zero results.  He's going to have to ditch his bread and butter.  His 4 seamer may have nice velo but it's straight and if you can't fool hitters with that nasty curve they'll sit on that and destroy him.  Without that knock out curve he's worthless IMO.   Hopefully he can find some answers but I'm growing more and more leery.  Nobody seems to have any answers.  Hopefully it's just a lost season and they can regather in offseason and get him right.  But I've never seen a full 162 game slate ruined start to finish by blisters.

If they change the baseball back to what it was, if they don't this will continue to happen IMO

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

If they change the baseball back to what it was, if they don't this will continue to happen IMO

Are ratings up?  If offensive spike has brought more fans then we probably won't see a change immediately I would imagine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Are ratings up?  If offensive spike has brought more fans then we probably won't see a change immediately I would imagine.

That's fine but if they continue to lose pitchers to blisters thats not a good thing, good arms are tough to come by, its enough they have to deal with arm and shoulder problems, now add blisters to that

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 8:43 AM, TheBoatmen said:

Gibby says they are going to shock the world.  Look out!

Wow Gibby, why didn't you announce this 80 games ago.  3 Ejections later and the bats come alive even if they were all by way of the home run.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some nice comeback wins but its to  late i think, i want to see if they move anyone at the deadline for anything, if they don't this confirms my opinion that this management team knows how to build a farm system and draft good players but not able to build a major league team, if these guys were in charge of the Indians last yearno way they go out and trade for Miller

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...