NBC Sports Edge Forums

Manuel "Manny" Margot 2017 Outlook

14 hours ago, mtblock said:

Honestly, I know it sounds like a power surge, but this came in Colorado and against Matt Cain. I want to see more.

However, I just jumped on this bandwagon, because he has clearly shown he is legit. Batting in front of Jank/Myers/Solarte means lots of run chances. Absolutely no RBI chances though.

Does Cain give up a disproportionate number of home runs or something?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, mysonx3 said:

Yes.

According to this he was 104th in the league in Home Runs Allowed last year. How is that a disproportionately high number?

edit: welp because that was in 89 innings lol.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/pitching/_/year/2016/sort/homeRuns/count/81/qualified/false/type/opponent-batting

Edited by hailtoyourvictor

BABIP clearly heading for a nose dive but he can absorb a good amount of BABIP regression and still be really good, plus his player profile seems like one that skews toward a high BABIP.

If he does develop double digit power, he could become a huge fantasy stud as long as he keeps hitting close to .300, even without the walks.  Sometimes these young, super athletic guys suddenly develop power in the majors despite any minor league track record for it, Lindor, Segura, and Turner all jump to mind as examples.

Kid's hit a real rough patch, with three hits over his last 25 at-bats, and still sitting at a single stolen base on the year.  It'll be interesting to see if he turns it around and maintains mixed league value going forward...

Edited by Sun Tzu
6 hours ago, sauceman11 said:

picking it back up this weekend, 6 in his last 13 AB's...a little discouraged to see him get another CS today giving him 3 on the year vs. 1 SB...

Yea the SB haven't been there. The Padres as a team are running less often than they did last season. That's surprising because everyone expected them to be as aggressive as last season. 

15 hours ago, sauceman11 said:

picking it back up this weekend, 6 in his last 13 AB's...a little discouraged to see him get another CS today giving him 3 on the year vs. 1 SB...

I'm less worried about the CS. He has the ability, just needs to tune his skill there a bit. 

What is most encouraging is responding to the slump with three two hit games in a row. 

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Mickey Donovan said:

Anybody still rostering this guy in 12 team and under?

Probably depends on league setup...keeper/dynasty or redraft...how many OF spots...depth of the benches.

Nope. His only appreciable skill is base stealing and his 50% success ratio has brought this stat to almost a complete halt (1 SB in May). On the positive side, he starts pretty much every single day. So, there is that.

17 hours ago, IG-88 said:

Nope. His only appreciable skill is base stealing and his 50% success ratio has brought this stat to almost a complete halt (1 SB in May). On the positive side, he starts pretty much every single day. So, there is that.

Yeah, I had to dump him also. Right now just doing nothing well. A leadoff hitter who gets on base at a .317 clip and doesn't steal bases? That's a profile of a dude who will sit on the WW.

18 hours ago, IG-88 said:

This is not true....the Manny has a little pop and has shown nice contact rates throughout his professional career.

He profiles as 10hr/30sb type that may bat over .280.

Im not saying hes a must start but hes not garbage either.

1 hour ago, TheJuggernautBTCH said:

This is not true....the Manny has a little pop and has shown nice contact rates throughout his professional career.

He profiles as 10hr/30sb type that may bat over .280.

Im not saying hes a must start but hes not garbage either.

Maybe in time since he's only 22, but in a 10 or 12 team mixed redraft, he's junk at the moment. Lots of better options on the wire.

• 1 month later...

I've got to think he's coming back tomorrow - he's played 5 games at AAA but took today off which to me means he was on a plane to San Diego.  The fact that he stole 2 bases yesterday makes me think his calf feels just fine.

Looked like the draft pick of the year out of the gate

underwhelming since then

just checked out the minors stats last year... pretty underwhelming. mid 700's OPS and not a great steals/caught-stealing ratio

If he catches fire I'll scoop, but in no rush at the moment 

On 6/27/2017 at 3:46 PM, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

Looked like the draft pick of the year out of the gate

underwhelming since then

just checked out the minors stats last year... pretty underwhelming. mid 700's OPS and not a great steals/caught-stealing ratio

If he catches fire I'll scoop, but in no rush at the moment 

He's hitting the ground running literally. 

1 hour ago, Cdub2k said:

He's hitting the ground running literally. 

I'm all in now that he had so much time off. Fatigue is a major factor for a speed guy asked to make 600 ABs for the first time. 

Especially with Turner going down he's going to be very valuable even if he only steals about 5-6 bags a month going forward which is a reasonable expectation.

He should run every time. That Padres lineup is not even a AAA squad right now

• 5 weeks later...

I auto subbed him in for Kemp.  He's been hot lately and watching him against my Pirates there are some encouraging signs on the base paths too.