NBC Sports Edge Forums

Alex Wood 2017 Outlook

36 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

I picked this guy up May 3rd .. i sat him vs the Rockies at their stadium .. 

The K rate, ratios, etc. have been elite. But between the Dodgers 7 man starting rotation, and the low pitch counts, I've gotten a total of 17 innings from Alex Wood in the entire month.

only two fewer than Kenley Jansen has all season.  

Alex Wood is Kenley Jansen, with 'wins' instead of 'saves'

congratulations, folks! you added Kenley Jansen off waivers! 

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Caelum said:

If it is just one start missed, it's not necessarily a bad thing. It's not like he was going to throw 200 innings. I'm all for pre-emptive rest (as long as they announce it by Monday morning).

Agreed. If it's truly a minor thing, then I'm just fine with it. If I can get 18 starts from him ROS (and all of September), I'd take that and run. 

1 hour ago, EmbargoLifted said:

I picked this guy up May 3rd .. i sat him vs the Rockies at their stadium .. 

The K rate, ratios, etc. have been elite. But between the Dodgers 7 man starting rotation, and the low pitch counts, I've gotten a total of 17 innings from Alex Wood in the entire month.

This kid was on pace to start 25 games, 187 strikeouts, 19 wins, 1.69 ERA, 1.00 WHIP - mind you... on most every single fantasy team that he is rostered he was a pickup off the WW.  Priceless - with the dearth of starting pitching - people would be complaining about that.

24 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

This kid was on pace to start 25 games, 187 strikeouts, 19 wins, 1.69 ERA, 1.00 WHIP - mind you... on most every single fantasy team that he is rostered he was a pickup off the WW.  Priceless - with the dearth of starting pitching - people would be complaining about that.

Yeah, but, complaining.

1 minute ago, Afatguy said:

Man, they're just making stuff up now.

Roberts: Uh, Alex hurt his, uh, anterior posterior cruciatus. uh, medial covfefe nerve. He should be back once Hill gets another blister. Uh, I mean, once he's cleared by doctors. 

2 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Man, they're just making stuff up now.

Roberts: Uh, Alex hurt his, uh, anterior posterior cruciatus. uh, medial covfefe nerve. He should be back once Hill gets another blister. Uh, I mean, once he's cleared by doctors. 

You had me at covfefe nerve hahahhahahahahahahaha

Pretty much every injury that was first described by the team or media outlets as "no big deal" has ended up in a long DL stint.

Hopefully Wood won't be sidelined more than a couple of weeks, but Murphy's Law has been prevailing so far this year.

3 hours ago, elsegundo said:

Pretty much every injury that was first described by the team or media outlets as "no big deal" has ended up in a long DL stint.

Hopefully Wood won't be sidelined more than a couple of weeks, but Murphy's Law has been prevailing so far this year.

What does Daniel Murphy have to do with his injury?  (sorry, I couldn't resist)

Anyway...I guess this is bad news for his possibly start early next week.  I guess we should know more tomorrow possibly?

2 minutes ago, crazybob60 said:

What does Daniel Murphy have to do with his injury?  (sorry, I couldn't resist)

Anyway...I guess this is bad news for his possibly start early next week.  I guess we should know more tomorrow possibly?

Murphy's Law - "If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it."

Inside Injuries thinks it should be closer to 4 weeks for full heal, and this was out before his announced set back: https://insideinjuries.com/alex-wood-hopes-to-miss-just-one-start-despite-sc-joint-inflammation/ (fwiw they do have nearly 13K Twitter followers, so they aren't some random source)

I'm honestly fine with him missing 3-4 weeks if it means full health. He's already given me a massive return on my free agent pickup investment. I'd prefer that he was ready to ball out in the 2nd half as opposed to rushing back and re-injuring himself. We'll see what the exam shows today, hope it's not something crazier than expected. 

Do we feel good enough about starting him in a weekly? It seems they expect him to start against the Reds but nothing's etched in stone. I'm currently taking the chance for fear of missing a Wood start in favor of someone I feel iffy about from a performance standpoint.