NBC Sports Edge Forums

Alex Wood 2017 Outlook

20 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

LAD is going to win it all bc of wood being a big reason. Everyone remember hearing this 

I think they'll win it all, too. Just a hunch. Justin Turner NLCS MVP. 

I'm not stressing about the Rockies at home. As long as he doesn't get beat by Blackmon/LeMahieu/Arenado/CarGo/Reynolds/Desmond/Story or Tom Murphy, he will be fine.  

Oh.....

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
  • Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

LAD is going to win it all bc of wood being a big reason. Everyone remember hearing this 

I'm on record already saying Dodgers and Stros play for it all...Of course, barring a major injury. Wood will be a big reason if it happens, but that Dodgers bullpen will be as much as of reason as any. And too be honest, the Dodgers should be there, IMO, they have the deepest pockets..Damn near buy a championship.

So yeah, we agree somewhat, but of the two teams I mention, still not sure who wins it 'all'...

Edited by Z06vette
4 minutes ago, GrapeJuice said:

COL on the road against a LHP doesn't scare me. They're not a great matchup but they're by no means fearsome.

The Rockies are second in baseball in runs scored against LHP and third in OPS. They are also 7th in runs scored away from Coors. With that said, they are 18th in wRC+ against LHP. They can really mash lefties, but Wood needs to be started no matter who he pitches against. 

Edited by Fuzzy_Slippers
13 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

The Rockies are second in baseball in runs scored against LHP and third in OPS. They are also 7th in runs scored away from Coors. With that said, they are 18th in wRC+ against LHP. They can really mash lefties, but Wood needs to be started no matter who he pitches against. 

I really respect you as a poster so I don't want this to be misconstrued as dismissive or dickish (for lack of a better term) but runs scored isn't at the top of my list of statistics when I'm trying to predict a lineup's strength against a starting pitcher.

19 minutes ago, GrapeJuice said:

I really respect you as a poster so I don't want this to be misconstrued as dismissive or dickish (for lack of a better term) but runs scored isn't at the top of my list of statistics when I'm trying to predict a lineup's strength against a starting pitcher.

I prefer wRC+, just throwing numbers out there. After seeing how well Godley did against the Rockies at Coors last night, it shows that absolutely anything can happen. I predict 7 IP,  3 ER, 7 punch outs for Wood. 

10 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

I prefer wRC+, just throwing numbers out there. After seeing how well Godley did against the Rockies at Coors last night, it shows that absolutely anything can happen. I predict 7 IP,  3 ER, 7 punch outs for Wood. 

Pitching at home as well. No way anyone would sit woods right now.

1 hour ago, Afatguy said:

Everyone was talking about benching Wood his last start at Coors and all he did was go 6 innings with 0 er and 10 k's lol

Good point, but didn't John Lackey do something similar too?  Kind of wonder if some days they just show up to the park already beaten.

Edited by ragrag
14 hours ago, GrapeJuice said:

COL on the road against a LHP doesn't scare me. They're not a great matchup but they're by no means fearsome.

They're pretty damn scary. Look up some numbers. 

22 total swing and misses, 64% gb-rate. Threw 3 pitches (fastball change curve), 6+ swing and misses on each. Out of the 54 times Rockies hitters swung the bat, 41% of the time they made no contact whatsoever. I love looking at Wood's numbers. They're insane. Tonight he was as nasty as ever. 

It's mind boggling how he is doing this.  He doesn't throw that hard.  I guess when you can throw exactly where you want the balll then it doesn't matter how hard you throw?

2 hours ago, yoda said:

It's mind boggling how he is doing this.  He doesn't throw that hard.  I guess when you can throw exactly where you want the balll then it doesn't matter how hard you throw?

His velocity is up, and per Wood, his stuff' is the best it has ever been.   Big thing with him is deception. Hitters can't pickup on his release point. Of course, if you can't pickup on a pitchers release point, you're not seeing the ball well till it is pretty much on you.  I've had lots of ups and downs with my team this year, but this stud has been a blessing!  Dodgers have a championship team if they can stay healthy, for the most part.

Edited by Z06vette
11 hours ago, mevins31 said:

They're pretty damn scary. Look up some numbers. 

I did, that's why I made my comment. Off the top of my head I think their wRC+ is 93 in the scenario I presented. Like I said, I'm not saying they're a dynamite matchup but slightly below average doesn't scare me.

5 hours ago, Z06vette said:

His velocity is up, and per Wood, his stuff' is the best it has ever been.   Big thing with him is deception. Hitters can't pickup on his release point. Of course, if you can't pickup on a pitchers release point, you're not seeing the ball well till it is pretty much on you.  I've had lots of ups and downs with my team this year, but this stud has been a blessing!  Dodgers have a championship team if they can stay healthy, for the most part.

He also releases the ball from the same plane. Dodgers broadcast said last year he was charted with the most consistent release point (I have no stats to back this up). Now you have a guy making it hard to find the ball AND he gives no clue as to which of his three plus-pitches he's throwing. And then added velo? Dude is a beast. 

Wood will have his next start moved back to Friday against the Padres, Andy McCullough of the Los Angeles Times reports.

Wood was initially slated to start Thursday against the Angels, but now Clayton Kershaw will start instead. The Dodgers rotation has been prone to juggling like this all year due to all the injuries. This one looks favorable for Wood, as he draws an excellent matchup against the Padres at Petco Park.

Damn!....<_<

Edited by Z06vette
51 minutes ago, Z06vette said:

Wood will have his next start moved back to Friday against the Padres, Andy McCullough of the Los Angeles Times reports.

Wood was initially slated to start Thursday against the Angels, but now Clayton Kershaw will start instead. The Dodgers rotation has been prone to juggling like this all year due to all the injuries. This one looks favorable for Wood, as he draws an excellent matchup against the Padres at Petco Park.

Damn!....<_<

@SD instead of pitching against an AL team with the DH? I'll take that every day

Just now, Hound75 said:

@SD instead of pitching against an AL team with the DH? I'll take that every day

I was hoping the Emoticon would give away I wasn't being serious even a little bit.....Too good to be true match-up, actually...

23 minutes ago, Hound75 said:

Aren't they playing that AL team at home? No DH. 

I'm not upset with the move, though.