NBC Sports Edge Forums

Alex Wood 2017 Outlook

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wood has been ok in past seasons but obviously never pitched like he has thus far. 

Is there something he's done to suddenly become an elite SP or you guys see some big regression coming ?

8 minutes ago, tonywow said:

Wood has been ok in past seasons but obviously never pitched like he has thus far. 

Is there something he's done to suddenly become an elite SP or you guys see some big regression coming ?

He is throwing harder and his mechanics are a little different as well that may be deceiving the batters more.

2 minutes ago, tonywow said:

Don't take personal, but that's been discussed in this thread...For one, his velocity has increased. You'll read and hear many things, in short, hitters don't pickup Wood's release point very well, some at all. Combine that with increased velocity and good stuff, you're looking at an ace. Biggest concern for most, Wood's health. Is he going to regress? Well, metrics now are screaming he's legit and very good! Highest ERA is by SIERA at 2.82, FIP 2.04  Of course, chances are he will eventually lose.

1 minute ago, Picard56 said:

Is he going to pitch Saturday or Sunday? or even friday?

I think that may depend on All-Star game...Then again, if he pitches and only one inning, doubt that has much impact.

59 minutes ago, herschel said:

Just another 6 shutout innings yesterday.  Anyone thinking of selling high?  Even if he has solid second half, no way he duplicates first half numbers right?

probably not. I mean, has he allowed a single run all season? ha. Doesn't feel it. 

Every outing is like 6 Kenley Jansen outings, in one day, with a W.  

I was excited to see Wood sneak into the top 10 on the acclaimed Pitcherlist

He will regress, but he should still be good.

If you can get a Jose Ramirez type for Wood, I'm all for it. I offered that to a pitching-starved team and was rejected. But I don't think it's an outlandish idea. 

1 hour ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

probably not. I mean, has he allowed a single run all season? ha. Doesn't feel it. 

Every outing is like 6 Kenley Jansen outings, in one day, with a W.  

I was excited to see Wood sneak into the top 10 on the acclaimed Pitcherlist

He will regress, but he should still be good.

If you can get a Jose Ramirez type for Wood, I'm all for it. I  offered that to a pitching-starved team and was rejected. But I don't think it's an outlandish idea. 

?

Anyone see PTI I think it was yesterday where Kornheiser said "some guy Ive never heard of, Alex Wood" - really?   One of our most popular sports commentators, he did win 11 games with a 2.78 for the Braves in 2014, thats pretty solid at least someone I might think someone like that would of heard of.  

By the way, the gentleman who asked where I am?  Currently driving the Alex Wood Bandwagon since picking him up in May....Thank you

2 hours ago, parrothead said:

Currently driving the Alex Wood Bandwagon since picking him up in May....Thank you

I'm sitting there one Sunday night, with waivers depleted.

half my rotation was on the DL, and I was unlikely to reach the weekly innings minimum... so I  trying to decide between 2-start pitchers:

Alex Wood or A.J. Griffin

Wood had the Pirates at home, but Griffin had the Padres in SD, which is always tempting.

was about 50-50, but went with Wood on a hunch.

It's been magic ever since.

shows that no matter how much scouting/research you do, sometimes all that matters is sheer luck. 

1 hour ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

I'm sitting there one Sunday night, with waivers depleted.

half my rotation was on the DL, and I was unlikely to reach the weekly innings minimum... so I  trying to decide between 2-start pitchers:

Alex Wood or A.J. Griffin

Wood had the Pirates at home, but Griffin had the Padres in SD, which is always tempting.

was about 50-50, but went with Wood on a hunch.

It's been magic ever since.

shows that no matter how much scouting/research you do, sometimes all that matters is sheer luck. 

I've always paid close attention to him, the talent has been undeniable when healthy. I even drafted him this year in a 12 teamer with hopes he got bumped to the rotation coming off a strong spring training. Took a few weeks, but amazing to have top 20-25 SP in my points league while everyone else was drafting people like Bartolo Colon. 

I don't think there should be an innings limit. Yes, he got hurt last year, but in 2014 he pitched 171.2 innings and 189.2 in 2015. It's unlikely that he's able to throw another 100 innings this year simply because of a lack of starts in the final 2.5 months. The Dodgers have 68 games left, so we'd be looking at ~14 more starts for him. All that to say, I really don't see a need for him to be shut down or shifted into the bullpen unless he goes completely off the rails post-ASB. 

49 minutes ago, countingcrow said:

Has there been anything said from the Dodgers about a potential innings limit or move to the bullpen later in the season?

No. He's been one of the best starters in baseball, no reason for them to shuffle him to the pen and back and risk messing up anything. As far as innings limit, they've already been protecting his arm during games. Could've probably gone 1-2 more innings in a bunch of starts this year. Given how they are handling him (basically a 6ish inning pitcher), he shouldn't stray past 160-170 ip. 

Fat Head Ryu coming off the DL early next week and the Dodgers may go to a 6 man rotation.

Hyun-Jin Ryu (foot) is expected to rejoin the Dodgers' rotation next Monday or Tuesday.
That will give the Dodgers a six-man rotation, but they've been comfortable operating with a non-traditional rotation setup all year. Ryu, who's been out since July 4 with a foot injury, holds a 4.21 ERA and 1.40 WHIP in 13 starts and one relief appearance this season with Los Angeles. Jul 18 - 6:46 PM

6 minutes ago, jb_power said:

Fat Head Ryu coming off the DL early next week and the Dodgers may go to a 6 man rotation.

Hyun-Jin Ryu (foot) is expected to rejoin the Dodgers' rotation next Monday or Tuesday.
That will give the Dodgers a six-man rotation, but they've been comfortable operating with a non-traditional rotation setup all year. Ryu, who's been out since July 4 with a foot injury, holds a 4.21 ERA and 1.40 WHIP in 13 starts and one relief appearance this season with Los Angeles. Jul 18 - 6:46 PM

Who's turn is it to fake an injury and go on the 10 day DL?