NBC Sports Edge Forums

Alex Wood 2017 Outlook

Tonight was concerning. Velo down to 89-91, stuff wasn't breaking as sharp. He can be good at 89-91 (he was in the past), but it's 91-94 with sharper off-speed stiff that made him shine. I'm big on looking at future indicators over just success. So, the one run given up was nice, but 3 straight games at lower velo now gives me a reason to re-evaluate him. 

Edited by Red Sox Nation
  • Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, Red Sox Nation said:

Tonight was concerning. Velo down to 89-91, stuff wasn't breaking as sharp. He can be good at 89-91 (he was in the past), but it's 91-94 with sharper off-speed stiff that made him shine. I'm big on looking at future indicators over just success. So, the one run given up was nice, but 3 straight games at lower velo now gives me a reason to re-evaluate him. 

I'm wondering if there is something mechanical going wrong in his delivery. Nothing has been as sharp the past few outings. I'm hoping that it's something mechanical and not health, but this is definitely concerning. 

He showed an inability to miss bats tonight. Left a lot of stuff up and the breaking stuff that was down couldn't draw a swing from opposing batters. 

I won't say I'm not concerned. But his dip in velocity has pretty much been an ongoing issues since the start of the season. While he has been dialing it up when needed up until the all-star break, I noticed average velocity was dropping since April / May. 

http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?playerid=13781&position=P&pitch=SI&data=pi

I hope the couple of MPHs he has lost since the all-star game is just a sign of fatigue and maybe they can skip a turn or two in the rotation once McCarthy comes back. At this point the Dodgers are playing for October, why not rest Wood? 

Get what you can for him before its too late..

Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said Friday that it's possible "but unlikely" that the club skips Alex Wood's next turn in the rotation.

Wood's velocity was down a bit in his last start and he's scuffled a bit over his last three outings. But, it sounds like he'll take the ball next week in Arizona as scheduled.

With all the negativity, wanted to give a positive bump. Maybe the velo will see a rebound?

Alex Wood survived his bullpen session. He made a mechanical adjustment and the life returned to his fastball, he said.

https://twitter.com/McCulloughTimes/status/894308294973685761

Was considering benching Wood this week because he's pitching @ARI, but I was stunned to find out that ARI is last in the MLB in wRC+ vs. LHP. Starting with confidence. 

Edited by Willsea33

Rotoworld has a note today saying that Wood made a mechanical adjustment and that helped him regain some velocity. He's always had an odd delivery. Perhaps the last three starts were simply a matter of a flaw in it that can be fixed. 

3 hours ago, Piotr said:

Rotoworld has a note today saying that Wood made a mechanical adjustment and that helped him regain some velocity. He's always had an odd delivery. Perhaps the last three starts were simply a matter of a flaw in it that can be fixed. 

I feel like I read that somewhere else.

On 8/7/2017 at 0:17 PM, Willsea33 said:

Was considering benching Wood this week because he's pitching @ARI, but I was stunned to find out that ARI is last in the MLB in wRC+ vs. LHP. Starting with confidence. 

How much does that factor in JD Martinez's addition? Lamb struggles against LHPs, and he's a big part of the offense. Might be a different story with an elite slugger RHP in JDM.

Edited by UberRebel

I didn't in my weekly league, but only because the matchups for my other options were even worse. I do hope the mechanical adjustment he made during his recent bullpen gets Wood back on track, but I'm not going to be confident until I see a strong pitching performance. 

Edited by Piotr
On 8/7/2017 at 3:17 PM, Willsea33 said:

My guess would be that they just haven't faced many lefties at home. Their lineup is a safe start unless it's in their park, where they're a bad start.

27 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

My guess would be that they just haven't faced many lefties at home. Their lineup is a safe start unless it's in their park, where they're a bad start.

They're in the middle of the pack in plate appearances. They do well against RHP at home but are below average at home vs. LHP.

I'm benching.  Scuffling over his last few starts, facing a powerful offense on the road, against their ace Zack Greinke....no thanks for my roto league.  

That next start against the ChiSox at home is much more appealing.

What do you guys think the value is of him moving forward?  I picked him up as an injury pickup for Maeda and kept him, he is at $10 on a 260 scale, 9 pitchers, 23 active spots keep 11 total.  I have a lot of guys like him, have been trying to move him and there is just no market value whatsoever in my league.  I think he is one of those guys that if you own, you believe, if you dont your are likely a skeptic. 

11 minutes ago, parrothead said:

What do you guys think the value is of him moving forward?  I picked him up as an injury pickup for Maeda and kept him, he is at $10 on a 260 scale, 9 pitchers, 23 active spots keep 11 total.  I have a lot of guys like him, have been trying to move him and there is just no market value whatsoever in my league.  I think he is one of those guys that if you own, you believe, if you dont your are likely a skeptic. 

Kinda hard to believe nobody wants him. He's always been a good pitcher (with numbers to back it up), but took the extra step forward this year. I certainly wouldn't be trying to sell just to sell