NBC Sports Edge Forums

Alex Wood 2017 Outlook

53 minutes ago, parrothead said:

What do you guys think the value is of him moving forward?  I picked him up as an injury pickup for Maeda and kept him, he is at $10 on a 260 scale, 9 pitchers, 23 active spots keep 11 total.  I have a lot of guys like him, have been trying to move him and there is just no market value whatsoever in my league.  I think he is one of those guys that if you own, you believe, if you dont your are likely a skeptic. 

I think we'll know more as the year goes along. Tonight is a pretty key night. He's been an ace with his velo up, and I'm interested in seeing if this "mechanical adjustment" indeed brings zip back. In 2013-14 he was pretty awesome with a 90mph fastball though. Overall he's a risk, but he's shown in the past (and obviously current year) that he can be an SP2 or better. He might be hitting a wall right now, but if he gets over that then there's no reason to not lock him at $10. 

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, street sharks said:

Kinda hard to believe nobody wants him. He's always been a good pitcher (with numbers to back it up), but took the extra step forward this year. I certainly wouldn't be trying to sell just to sell 

So I had 3 guys who I picked up off waivers or as a DL pick up: Nova, Wood and Faria.  All at the same price, so I probably cant keep all 3, so wanted to deal 1 or 2 and none of them have drawn much interest.  I didnt really want to deal Wood just to deal him, but thought when I put him out there, there would be a good market for him.  If your in contention, here is a guy who can help you now AND could be a keeper, often times the deals those teams make net back non keepers because too expensive or expiring contracts, Wood doesnt fall into either of those OR even a team who is looking to get to 11 keepers next year.   Ive noticed this a bit through the years in season long roto, is that there are guys who fly under the radar if they are not on your team.  

If tonight doesn't go so well,  I wouldn't be shocked to see a DL trip, even if there is nothing wrong with him..Probably would have happen already if Kershaw wasn't on the DL. Now if Wood rolls, which is what I'm hoping for, forget I even posted this...

For those of you who just posted recently speaking of trading Wood, smart owners have read those same articles of his decrease  velocity, and have seen how he's done in the 2nd half so far. The time to sell was in the 1st half when dude was pitching like the 2nd coming of Kershaw, IMO....

Edited by Z06vette
17 minutes ago, Z06vette said:

If tonight doesn't go so well,  I wouldn't be shocked to see a DL trip, even if there is nothing wrong with him..Probably would have happen already if Kershaw wasn't on the DL. Now if Wood rolls, which is what I'm hoping for, forget I even posted this...

For those of you who just posted recently speaking of trading Wood, smart owners have read those same articles of his decrease  velocity, and have seen how he's done in the 2nd half so far. The time to sell was in the 1st half when dude was pitching like the 2nd coming of Kershaw, IMO....

Wood is a young pitcher and they sheltered him in the early part of the year with pitch counts and that was probably smart. But taking a young player and putting them on the DL rather than forcing them to learn to pitch through the grind and adversity, assuming they are healthy, is a terrible/confusing way to develop a pitcher if you have any aspirations of making them a 200+ inning workhorse. If it is mechanical that is one thing. Skip a start or two and get right with bullpens. If it is health that is another thing. If it is the season long grind then he has to learn to grind through it. 

8 hours ago, Beakman said:

I'm benching.  Scuffling over his last few starts, facing a powerful offense on the road, against their ace Zack Greinke....no thanks for my roto league.  

That next start against the ChiSox at home is much more appealing.

Arizona has been in the bottom 3rd of offenses this past month. White Sox are pretty much dead last. But look at what they just did to Keuchel. Doesn't matter how bad your offense is - if the guys throwing batting practice fastballs, any team can crush him.

But i agree it's a good start to bench him and the consensus out there is probably to bench him with all the national attention on his velocity this week. And going up against Greinke is another excuse - even though it has no bearing on how Wood will perform. I still believe - so i'm rolling with him tonight.

9 hours ago, thezing1 said:

Wood is a young pitcher and they sheltered him in the early part of the year with pitch counts and that was probably smart. But taking a young player and putting them on the DL rather than forcing them to learn to pitch through the grind and adversity, assuming they are healthy, is a terrible/confusing way to develop a pitcher if you have any aspirations of making them a 200+ inning workhorse. If it is mechanical that is one thing. Skip a start or two and get right with bullpens. If it is health that is another thing. If it is the season long grind then he has to learn to grind through it. 

I don't disagree with you at all. I just think some of these teams are doing whatever to keep some of their top pitchers fresh, and trying to prevent them from wearing down when it may count the most, especially teams in the playoff hunt. Sure, even a phantom injury is possible, IMO. Wood was struggling here recently with a decrease in velocity, and the way the Dodgers have done things with their pitchers, reason I thought if he struggled tonight a DL trip was possible, to rest him. Yeah, I know he's been babied enough. As I stated in my previous post, if Wood pitched well that part of my post could be ignored, for now , anyway..

Edited by Z06vette
41 minutes ago, Red Sox Nation said:

Disagree. 14.8% swinging strikes. That's plenty. He just didn't put away enough hitters with 2-strikes. 

He was hit hard and could not put hitters away. Good outing but he's not the same.

Edited by Mickey Donovan
48 minutes ago, Mickey Donovan said:

He was hit hard and could not put hitters away. Good outing but he's not the same.

There were definitely a few bullets hit off of him. I thought his change-up was fine, but his curve wasn't as sharp. He couldn't really control it, and he missed glove side with a few fastballs. Overall though, I'm pretty pleased. Seeing him sit 92 and touch 95 gave me confidence that he's not fully hitting a wall. I think going forward he might not be an ace, but he should be an SP2 at worst. 

Edited by Red Sox Nation
10 hours ago, Bravesfan155 said:

And he's injured

Wood will skip one or two starts due to a recurrence of the sternum joint issue that has bothered him earlier this season, Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports. --ESPN

Feels like a potential drop in redraft if he hits the DL.  They're not going to push him hard in September with their record.