NBC Sports Edge Forums

Alex Wood 2017 Outlook

Sounds like Alex Wood will stay in the rotation, at least until Rich Hill comes back from the DL.

To me, the math isn't adding up. Someone else has to be taken out. Kershaw Maeda McCarthy Maeda Ryu Wood = 6. I think during the next turn in the rotation, something will get sorted out. 

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, Red Sox Nation said:

Sounds like Alex Wood will stay in the rotation, at least until Rich Hill comes back from the DL.

To me, the math isn't adding up. Someone else has to be taken out. Kershaw Maeda McCarthy Maeda Ryu Wood = 6. I think during the next turn in the rotation, something will get sorted out. 

You've got Maeda there twice...assuming you meant Urias.  Same end result though...either Urias is up for a short stay (doubtful) or Maeda is "hurt"/gets the boot from rotation.  Don't think they go with 6 SPs though.  These situations tend to resolve themselves a lot of the time.  McCarthy hasn't exactly been the model of health, so we'll see.  Wood definitely deserves to stick around though for 1st inning.

11 minutes ago, Yceman1234 said:

You've got Maeda there twice...assuming you meant Urias.  Same end result though...either Urias is up for a short stay (doubtful) or Maeda is "hurt"/gets the boot from rotation.  Don't think they go with 6 SPs though.  These situations tend to resolve themselves a lot of the time.  McCarthy hasn't exactly been the model of health, so we'll see.  Wood definitely deserves to stick around though for 1st inning.

Yes, damn auto-correct mixing up names now 

4 hours ago, parrothead said:

His 6th inning ERA last year was 10.80

1st time against batter in a game, they hit .217, 3rd time seeing him in a game they hit .327. 

His batting avg against on pitches number 76-100 was .317

Bro do you not read? I never argued LAST SEASON he wasn't effective later in games. I said I'm using my eyes and he looks like he has made some adjustments THIS YEAR. So sweet numbers man. 

1 hour ago, exzacly909 said:

Bro do you not read? I never argued LAST SEASON he wasn't effective later in games. I said I'm using my eyes and he looks like he has made some adjustments THIS YEAR. So sweet numbers man. 

I did, and I was gonna follow up with the fact that his numbers were bad after pitch 75, and so while your eyes in the early going might tell you that story, obviously the Dodgers are somewhat congnisent of them, because he has only gone over 75 pitches twice, and it was only for a total of 3 batters, and not that its some huge sample size, but those 3 at-bats that have gone over 75?  Batters are 1 for 2 with a walk.  

Whats interesting is that while it might look different to the eye, its telling a lot of the same story.  The funky lefty is lights out first time through the order, dude has allowed first time through a batting avg of .077 with 11K and 1 walk in 27 plate appearances.  The second time through, same 27 plate appearances but now batting average is .304 and only 4K and now 4 walks.  3rd time, Dodgers have limited, only 7 plate appearances so not a big sample size, but avg against in limited time is .400.  

We will see what happens, I like the guy, I was big on him last year and would be a buyer again, I just need to actually see him be able to produce the 2nd and 3rd time through the order, because his numbers to me still appear to be a guy thats more of a 1-2 inning lefty out of the pen. 

Edited by parrothead
4 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Phantom maeda injury approaching?

Ryu's head has continued expanding and he is currently floating through the stratosphere. I think Wood is in, Hadoken out.

11 hours ago, Red Sox Nation said:

C'mon you can't expect us to belive Urias turned into Maeda by auto correct.

I don't believe in Hadouken and Maeda's been sucking, so I'm holding Wood and am hoping he can stick there. Needs another good outing next time though. And is McCarthy any good? Have to believe those wheels will fall off soon.

12 hours ago, Red Sox Nation said:

51 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

I don't believe in Hadouken and Maeda's been sucking, so I'm holding Wood and am hoping he can stick there. Needs another good outing next time though. And is McCarthy any good? Have to believe those wheels will fall off soon.

See bolded. Also, I believe Wood will stay in the rotation and Hill will be moved to the BP, unfortunately.

4 hours ago, swfcdan said:

C'mon, you can't expect us to believe you don't know what sarcasm is 

16 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Any word on when his next start is?

Currently slated for Tues (5/2) against SF with Urias to pitch on Wed (5/3), but that could change.  LA has 6 starters in the rotation right now, so they could choose to start Urias on 5/2 on regular rest and send Wood back to the 'pen to get back to a 5-man rotation.  Alex has earned a spot as a SP, but there's too many arms with Urias being called up.  Just don't see how they keep Wood around now to start without another SP injury.  This isn't even counting Hill who would be SP #7...also a bullpen candidate now.

Edited by Yceman1234

" Roberts said the Dodgers will stick with their current six-man rotation of Clayton Kershaw, Alex Wood, Julio Urias, Kenta Maeda, Brandon McCarthy and Hyun-Jin Ryu through next weekend’s series at San Diego, but he would like to return to a five-man rotation soon."
http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers-report-20170429-story.html

Maybe he makes his next start then, and it's a nice matchup. Hard to see him staying in the rotation after that though with his success in the bullpen, barring a Hill blister flareup + another injury.

I think of it as a one week audition for the Wood-Maeda-Ryu. McCarthy wasn't on it tonight and still overall is sketchy, but I do think he has a good amount of security because he has been good so far. But I do think if Wood throws another QS and either Ryu/Maeda are hit hard, they would try in keep him in. 

I'll worry about Hill when he can make multiple starts without a boo-boo. 

2 hours ago, Yceman1234 said:

With Ryu hitting the DL, looks like Wood will get to stick around until at least Hill returns from DL.

So all year then?