NBC Sports Edge Forums

Alex Wood 2017 Outlook

In addition to the 31.14% K rate (good for 7th in baseball), 57.53% of his batted balls have been classified as either a dribbler or a pop-up according to Andrew Perpetua's launch angle derived batted ball types, good for 13th in baseball. So even when they are making contact, it's not at a launch angle that is going to do any damage at all.

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, mpbaseball22 said:

savant has him at 13.6% swstr, that would have him around top 200 status 

0fd80db39efb361c45e33ffec5400884_homer-s

I accidentally added the "all" row in when I was tallying his swinging strikes (and therefore ended up with twice as many as he actually got). Rookie mistake.

32 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Why did he get pulled after 5?

Also I picked him up just to stream, but I think I wanna hang on...

Pitch count... no reason to send him back to the mound in a blowout. 

1 hour ago, street sharks said:

Also I picked him up just to stream, but I think I wanna hang on...

Definitely a hold. Dailies will most likely bench his 2nd start this week @Colorado. Weeklies are stuck with him.

This guy is a hold/waiver wire pick up for sure. He has a ~2.00 fip/xfip/seira .. his fastball velocity and GB% is way up this season. He should be a K rate/low whip monster going forward. keep your fingers crossed he sticks in the rotation.

Edited by EmbargoLifted
2 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

This guy is a hold/waiver wire pick up for sure. He has a ~2.00 fip/xfip/seira .. his fastball velocity and GB% is way up this season. He should be a K rate/low whip monster going forward. keep your fingers crossed he sticks in the rotation.

the Dodgers brains at the top seem pretty sharp... I'm confident they'll recognize what they potentially have here

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

I've always been a big fan of Wood. I hope he sticks.

Me too .... I love that unorthodox lefty delivery.  I was in shock when they moved him to the pen.

Raise your hand if you managed to leave this start on your bench cause F'ing Brandon McCarthy was supposed to take the ball?  Only me? 

Cool - I'll show myself out.

4 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

Raise your hand if you managed to leave this start on your bench cause F'ing Brandon McCarthy was supposed to take the ball?  Only me? 

Cool - I'll show myself out.

Yup, no credit. He scored 30 points in that start... none went to me. 

1 minute ago, cad300 said:

Lots of RW optimism, but there's been nothing to suggest he will be put into the rotation for good, right?

I think there's been the opposite, if anything. Every starter coming back (Hill, Ryu, McCarthy) has had talk of their return to the rotation. Can't have everyone thrust back in. I wouldn't be surprised to see Wood get pushed towards a long-relief/next-up-starter role. He has a tough game at Coors this weekend though, but if he aces that tough, he'll make it awfully tough on Roberts. 

18 minutes ago, Red Sox Nation said:

I think there's been the opposite, if anything. Every starter coming back (Hill, Ryu, McCarthy) has had talk of their return to the rotation. Can't have everyone thrust back in. I wouldn't be surprised to see Wood get pushed towards a long-relief/next-up-starter role. He has a tough game at Coors this weekend though, but if he aces that tough, he'll make it awfully tough on Roberts. 

My optimism is based on the fact that I don't expect Hill, Ryu, McCarthy to be healthy at the same time for any stretch of time this year.

I want to preface this by saying that I know I'm almost certainly going to end up eating these words but I'm not scared of this Colorado start. Rockies are 24th in baseball in home wRC+ with 87. I know 25 years of history says otherwise but this Rockies team has been kind of unRockies to this point. You may begin throwing produce at me now.

As far as will Wood stay in the rotation, that's also something I'm not real worried about. I suspect that there's a Dodgers pitcher on the waiver wire in most leagues out there. If Ryu takes his spot, you want to immediately pick up Ryu.

1 minute ago, GrapeJuice said:

Rockies are 24th in baseball in home wRC+ with 87.

This is a bit off topic (well, on topic since it relates to Wood's next start), but I'm guessing this is park adjusted. I see them on Fangraphs with the wRC+ at 87, but still their home OPS is 4th in baseball. I put more stock into that (and they have a higher OPS vs lefties) personally. 

2 minutes ago, Red Sox Nation said:

This is a bit off topic (well, on topic since it relates to Wood's next start), but I'm guessing this is park adjusted. I see them on Fangraphs with the wRC+ at 87, but still their home OPS is 4th in baseball. I put more stock into that (and they have a higher OPS vs lefties) personally. 

Yeah, I've seen their OPS and a few other home numbers and they look good. I can't argue with your point and I'll be the first to admit that I don't have a PHD in wRC+. I've had a lot of success relying on it to determine my pitcher matchups so I continue to do so but this will certainly be a test of that, no doubt. I'm actually quite interested to see what happens, not that one game would be the end all be all. Apologies to the thread if I'm veering off course.