NBC Sports Edge Forums

Alex Wood 2017 Outlook

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, GrapeJuice said:

Yeah, I've seen their OPS and a few other home numbers and they look good. I can't argue with your point and I'll be the first to admit that I don't have a PHD in wRC+. I've had a lot of success relying on it to determine my pitcher matchups so I continue to do so but this will certainly be a test of that, no doubt. I'm actually quite interested to see what happens, not that one game would be the end all be all. Apologies to the thread if I'm veering off course.

I'm not too well versed in wRC+ myself, but I believe it takes into account park factors. I don't think wRC accounts for park factors, and in Coors the Rockies are 8th with an 88 wRC. Even with that I feel your point is pretty valid, as the Rockies have been first in wRC every year since 2014, and even in 2013 they were third. Makes me feel [slightly] more comfortable streaming my pitchers there. 

5 minutes ago, bigpapi88 said:

I'm not too well versed in wRC+ myself, but I believe it takes into account park factors. I don't think wRC accounts for park factors, and in Coors the Rockies are 8th with an 88 wRC. Even with that I feel your point is pretty valid, as the Rockies have been first in wRC every year since 2014, and even in 2013 they were third. Makes me feel [slightly] more comfortable streaming my pitchers there. 

With someone who has a 62.4 GB% right now, I feel as though the start are Coors will be a lot better. You also have to realize the weather in Colorado has been absolutely terrible up to this point. Once things start heating up, they are going to shoot right up there and start scoring in bunches again. They don't have that breakout player this year like they have had in the last few years such as Dahl and Story. I mean, Reynolds has been terrific but the lineup is definitely beatable this year. 

Don't forget though, the Rockies have scored the most runs and home runs against lefties so far this year. They also are top 4 in slugging against, second in doubles, and first in slugging.

Edited by S1mcity
16 hours ago, exzacly909 said:

Where you at son? 

Same place I was a week ago when he gave up 4 runs in 5 innings to the worst offensive team in the National League.  

6 hours ago, parrothead said:

Same place I was a week ago when he gave up 4 runs in 5 innings to the worst offensive team in the National League.  

I watched that game and he got pretty screwed over by the Ump, his defense, and a couple of weird blooper hits in one inning. It was actually a pretty good performance and the reason I held. Box scores will only tell you so much.

The main question is can he be effective over 100+ pitches, or do the Dodgers still see him as a long reliever as the first sign of trouble. The SF game was not a sign of trouble. At all. Probably cemented his place.

13 hours ago, Meisce said:

I watched that game and he got pretty screwed over by the Ump, his defense, and a couple of weird blooper hits in one inning. It was actually a pretty good performance and the reason I held. Box scores will only tell you so much.

The main question is can he be effective over 100+ pitches, or do the Dodgers still see him as a long reliever as the first sign of trouble. The SF game was not a sign of trouble. At all. Probably cemented his place.

I agree and I didnt really mean to pick out a single start just responding to someone he did, pitchers make 30+ starts a year.  Forget 100, its 80+, which the track record thus far in his time as a starter with the Dodgers seems to be the number. 

On 5/9/2017 at 9:11 AM, S1mcity said:

With someone who has a 62.4 GB% right now, I feel as though the start are Coors will be a lot better

He relies fairly heavily on the curveball though, the pitch most impacted by the altitude.

7 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

Is he staying in with Hadouken's return? Who gets bumped or 6 man?

I'd imagine bumping Urias makes the most sense. Save his arm for later in the year. Also, isn't McCarthy still on the DL?

Edited by Jericho
1 hour ago, Jericho said:

I'd imagine bumping Urias makes the most sense. Save his arm for later in the year. Also, isn't McCarthy still on the DL?

I believe it was stated that they're not going 6-man. I was thinking Urias makes the most sense also. McCarthy will be back soon. 

2 hours ago, Random Dude said:

I believe it was stated that they're not going 6-man. I was thinking Urias makes the most sense also. McCarthy will be back soon. 

If any team ever seemed like a candidate to go 6, it would be LA, the problem is that means less starts for Kershaw, which honestly is that the worst thing?  But looking at the rest of their staff, they have a guy they probably want to limit overall innings but have him in the postseason and down the stretch in Urias, you have veterans with injury history like Hill and McCarthy (and for that matter Ryu) you have a guy who seems to maybe not be fully stretched to starter yet in Wood and another Maeda who although he said he strengthened this offseason to be a 200Inning guy, has struggled, although seems to be turning the corner a bit, pretty good last 2-3 starts. 

It seems like they should be finding ways to limit the workload of the old broken dudes like Hill, McCarthy and Ryu. 

They should let Wood and Urias let it fly. They're both showing no signs of slowing down. 

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers-alex-wood-rotation-20170509-story.html

Roberts regarding the rotation:

“These are decisions we can make, and we have to make,” Roberts said before a 12-1 victory over Pittsburgh. “You look at the roster, and you have seven guys who are legitimate major-league starters. Do we expect them to all be healthy at one time? No. But if they are, these are tough conversations.

“There’s got to be some unselfishness. We’re not going to go to a six-man [rotation]. There’s only so many starting positions. I’ve said it, I’ve joked about it: It’s a high-class problem. It depends on how you look at it. It is a problem.

“The players still want to play, and perform. You can’t fault the guys for wanting to get at-bats, wanting to pitch. That’s completely appreciated.”