NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Alex Wood 2017 Outlook

Topgun

21 minutes ago, Gryfter said:

No choice, weekly locks. 

1st start this week was so worth it!!!

Nothing's much more relieving in weekly leagues than a two-start week ending @COL, where a guy has a dominant first game of the week. You've got some cushion for a Coors shellacking, and at least know you've banked a bunch of Ks. I'd be doing lots of hand-wringing over this upcoming start if it wasn't for that.

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

I love Wood (lol), but I'm hoping he gets blown up again COL.

Let me guess, you dont own the guy...or didnt start him on Monday.

1 hour ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Rockies are first in runs scored against LHP and 4th in OPS. For comparison purposes, they are 16th in runs scored against RHP and 19th in OPS. Wood will need to be at his best.

OK Debbie Downer. 

I bet you're a blast at parties!

Edited by Gryfter

30 minutes ago, Gryfter said:

Let me guess, you dont own the guy...or didnt start him on Monday.

OK Debbie Downer. 

I bet you're a blast at parties!

When your opponent owns a guy, you generally don't want them to do well. Settle down, snowflake. Like I said, I like Wood and think he's a good pitcher, but the Rockies are obviously tough on lefties.

Edited by Fuzzy_Slippers

48 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

When your opponent owns a guy, you generally don't want them to do well. Settle down, snowflake. Like I said, I like Wood and think he's a good pitcher, but the Rockies are obviously tough on lefties.

Its SPECIAL snowflake to you.

Deciding to start a pitcher at Coors involves overthinking.  I am in a weekly league and I would put a reliable middle reliever in my lineup before starting any pitcher in Coors.

Edited by B&F

Kendricks and Lackey were fine earlier in the week. 

I'm not expecting a gem, but his stuff is filthy right now. Let's see how he handles the pressure of pitching to stay in a rotation that could have an opening or two 

28 minutes ago, B&F said:

Deciding to start a pitcher at Coors involves overthinking.  I am in a weekly league and I would put a reliable middle reliever in my lineup before starting any pitcher in Coors.

Seeing a bunch of Rockie games this year, have even started benching RP at Coors. To many runs scored by both teams to make any pitcher really safe.

These are the amount of runs the Rockies have scored in each game at home this year:

20 games, 114 runs, seven times they've been held to 3 runs or less, nine times they've scored 6 or more runs. Four times 10 or more runs. I can certainly see where the fear comes in, 20% of the time it's 10 or more. I think the 35% 3 or less says that starting someone like Kershaw is still the smart move though. Who knows though, SSS. 

16 minutes ago, GrapeJuice said:

20 games, 114 runs, seven times they've been held to 3 runs or less, nine times they've scored 6 or more runs. Four times 10 or more runs. I can certainly see where the fear comes in, 20% of the time it's 10 or more. I think the 35% 3 or less says that starting someone like Kershaw is still the smart move though. Who knows though, SSS. 

Even Kershaw struggles at Coors as it neutralizes his curve.  Career 4.71 ERA and 1.30 WHIP.  By far his worst numbers in any stadium outside of a short start in Shea years ago.

Guys that do well are generally guys that rely on the two-seamer/slider and not so much the curve.  

Wood might have a fighting chance with his changeup and fastball, but he also uses the curve quite a bit. Let's look up the career numbers in Coors.

Nope, in 16 innings his career, he has allowed 20 runs. YIKES! Strong avoid here.

Edited by The Czar

Well poo. Between sitting this guy and Hendricks this week I'm costing myself K's. I could throw stupid after bad luck, toss out Urias tomorrow and screw my ratios.

Bright side, he's handled the Rockies at Coors for five innings now. Bodes well in a year of thin pitching.

3 minutes ago, bdy1 said:

Well poo. Between sitting this guy and Hendricks this week I'm costing myself K's. I could throw stupid after bad luck, toss out Urias tomorrow and screw my ratios.

Bright side, he's handled the Rockies at Coors for five innings now. Bodes well in a year of thin pitching.

I did the same thing. Can't beat ourselves up about that. Coors is where pitchers go to get destroyed most games.

19 minutes ago, bdy1 said:

Lol I benched him and Lackey. It was the right move though. My league has a 200 start limit, so gotta avoid high risk starts. 

The fact they're 1st in runs scored against LHP and 4th in OPS was reason enough to sit him

10 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Lol I benched him and Lackey. It was the right move though. My league has a 200 start limit, so gotta avoid high risk starts. 

The fact they're 1st in runs scored against LHP and 4th in OPS was reason enough to sit him

Somewhat the same here. It sucks leaving this game on the bench, but it was absolutely the right move. This shouldn't embolden people to start lefties (or most pitchers unless desperate) in Col.