Byron Buxton 2017 Outlook

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, merlin401 said:

Who is saying to panic? If you drafted Buxton as someone other than a .235/.240 hitter with 20 bombs and 20 steals and a 30% k-rate driving a poor obp than you weren't paying attention to his career trajectory. If you drafted him as that, then I'm sure most would agree he is likely to still be there. It's the great start we'd have to say "it's just a small sample, let's see" about.  As it is, he started off as exactly what we all should have expected him to be; what he was in 2015 and what he was in 2016.  He just didn't sprinkle in the day where he runs into two homers and steals a base yet but that will come here and there too

Nah most people (including myself) drafted him as a high upside play in the 160-175 overall range. Based off his strong 16' finish, strong 17' spring, His previous high prospect ranking and because all of the rave reviews he was getting from the organization and their confidence in his bat placing him in the 3 hole. 

Again, after 2 games I don't think that it's fair to come to any conclusions. After 2 months not two days but to each its own but then again you seem to be one who didn't draft him and you're here to say I told you so. Which is ok I guess but it's way to early to celebrate.

<rant>

Never ceases to amaze me how people overreact.  If you didn't like him before the season, you will point to these two games and say - "See, I told you that he sucks and will always suck!", but if you did like him (as I do), we will say "It's just two games, he's awesome, gonna be a stud, nothing to worry about".

<end rant>

21 minutes ago, BALCO All-Stars said:

<rant>

Never ceases to amaze me how people overreact.  If you didn't like him before the season, you will point to these two games and say - "See, I told you that he sucks and will always suck!", but if you did like him (as I do), we will say "It's just two games, he's awesome, gonna be a stud, nothing to worry about".

<end rant>

Yup. Another American in Japan . He'll get booed there too.

He continues his pace for a torrid 486 strike outs. I feel almost as if this is a thrill ride to see how long you'll play chicken.   When does he break out versus when do I drop him?  He may not break out until the softball league he plays in at 45. I have him on a flier on my bench. For someone on my bench, I pay more attention to him than my stars.  They also don't have as fun of a thread of eccentric people hoping their guy has finally got his stuff together to live up to their talent.  I'm rooting for him and I'm sure his mom is as well.

When I jump off the train, I'm thinking of jumping on the Travis Shaw wagon. It appears there is quite a number of vacancies.

Edited by myzto
17 minutes ago, myzto said:

He continues his pace for a torrid 486 strike outs. I feel almost as if this is a thrill ride to see how long you'll play chicken.   When does he break out versus when do I drop him?  He may not break out until the softball league he plays in at 45. I have him on a flier on my bench. For someone on my bench, I pay more attention to him than my stars.  They also don't have as fun of a thread of eccentric people hoping their guy has finally got his stuff together to live up to their talent.  I'm rooting for him and I'm sure his mom is as well.

When I jump off the train, I'm thinking of jumping on the Travis Shaw wagon. It appears there is quite a number of vacancies.

Why? Does his mom check these boards?

2 hours ago, Cdub2k said:

Nah most people (including myself) drafted him as a high upside play in the 160-175 overall range. Based off his strong 16' finish, strong 17' spring, His previous high prospect ranking and because all of the rave reviews he was getting from the organization and their confidence in his bat placing him in the 3 hole. 

Again, after 2 games I don't think that it's fair to come to any conclusions. After 2 months not two days but to each its own but then again you seem to be one who didn't draft him and you're here to say I told you so. Which is ok I guess but it's way to early to celebrate.

I didn't post in this thread so I didn't tell anyone anything. But I did read the comments and the underlying metrics all looked atrocious, yes even during the "great" September.  The talent is absolutely there, and like I said, 20-20 has value in a lot of leagues regardless.  And it wouldn't be outrageously unexpected for him to "figure it out", but it's far from the expected value given what we have seen of him the last two years.  He is a guy that, so far, can excel against the low minors, survive against AAA despite everything, and struggle against MLB pitchers with the command and stuff to exploit his many holes. I hope he adjusts because I like him

It's insinuating that even the twins hopefuls are viewing him as he should be batting 9th(or not in top 5) instead of 3rd.  The same guys who are already excited about October baseball at Target field.  With the Royals issuing 12 walks in 2 games, I'm going to assume Buxton is swinging at pitches outside of the zone (I have not looked this up).  In essence, the biggest Buxton hopefuls are in this thread, including myself. 

Maybe to brighten your day, you can find more hits with the Twins than Buxton will bring us this week.

http://www.startribune.com/we-taste-tested-new-foods-at-target-field-here-are-the-hits-and-misses/418372583/#1

Edited by myzto
3 hours ago, Cdub2k said:

I need more than 8 at bats to come to the conclusion that he has regressed back to what he was in 2015. 

It's too early to panic

It's not regressing back to where he was in 2015. It's being who he's been in every MLB stint. He can't regress back to being something unless he first goes through a period of not being that.

This guy has all the tools in the world, except the most important one: the ability to hit a baseball.

And to add no one is overreacting to these two games and saying "wow Buxton is now a .200 OPS guy with a 60% k-rate."  Of course not. He just continues for now the third year to seem to be a low average 30%+ k rate guy who can't recognize MLB pitches.  So yeah if he goes 6-20 with 3 k's, 2 walks, a steal and a homer (nice little stretch), then he is back to being on pace to be exactly who we thought he was.

4 hours ago, BALCO All-Stars said:

<rant>

<end rant>

Yes but very few people are actually SAYING that. 

Edited by taobball

My buddy who's a Twins fan (only because his old man grew up in Minnesota and passed it on to him) is holding onto that September like a virginal high schooler holds onto that brief exchange with the hot girl in the cafeteria.  It's all he's got.

15 hours ago, BALCO All-Stars said:

<rant>

<end rant>

Nobody is saying he sucks though. Some simply have lower (and maybe more realistic) expectations than others. I don't see anything wrong with that. 

Just now, Wallscrapers said:

Struck out with bases juiced...can't even make a productive out

People thought he would be the next Micky Mantle and drafted as such.

They made their bed, let them sleep in it.   :)

23 hours ago, taobball said:

Yes but very few people are actually SAYING that. 

Gotta love the overreaction to the overreaction that never took place.  A message board staple.

2 hours ago, lavaman said:

People thought he would be the next Micky Mantle and drafted as such.

They made their bed, let them sleep in it.   :)

I probably would have drafted Mantle before pick 140, but ok.

Wow...barely a week into the season and people are already writing this kid off?  I don't own him in any of my leagues, but, I'd certainly be buying low at this point.  I think people will have a different view of Big Bux come July.

4 minutes ago, 96GOAT said:

Wow...barely a week into the season and people are already writing this kid off?  I don't own him in any of my leagues, but, I'd certainly be buying low at this point.  I think people will have a different view of Big Bux come July.

3 games lol.

5 minutes ago, 96GOAT said:

What's "buying low" to you? 

And when the week is the same as the previous two years it really isn't much of an overreaction. The issues are still overwhelmingly glaring. Yes, it's a small sample, but it's a VERY poor sample. 

And again, I haven't dropped Buxton in ranking or opinion, but he's showing signs that he's the exact same hitter he was which isn't an ownable asset.