Byron Buxton 2017 Outlook

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, motown magic said:

What happens first: Moncada gets called up or Buxton gets sent down? 

The guide to dealing with struggling young hitters:

Step 1: Move down in the batting order. Check.

Step 2: Give the obligatory 3 days off "to clear your head." Likely happens this week.

Step 3: Give 30 more at bats and if still struggling send back to the minors. Late April/ Early May?

On 4/10/2017 at 7:27 AM, jseay65 said:

It's way too soon to call this guy a bust, but it's clear he needs to spend more time in the minors. 

he's a bust. You'd have to be nuts to hold him in a 10-team non keeper. 

Edited by goldbaby11

At this point I think he's a bust until he proves otherwise. Not sayin he can't but his been unable to find any consistency at the plate and is possibly getting demoted again because he can't hit. What word would you use to describe that if not bust?

10 minutes ago, WaKe21334 said:

Give him time people. And he wont be sent down when his defense has been crucial in some of their wins this year. If the twins go in a major skid and he continues to look lost offensively, he may then be demoted.

The problem with the defense argument is that he's also botched a lot of hitting situations that could have put them ahead by more runs where an average defensive CF may have allowed a hit, but the Twins should've been up more if they would've had a competent big league hitter. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily believe he WILL be demoted or that he WILL continue to hit as he has, but no defense justifies a .077 BA, a .226 OPS, and a 51+% K%. 

6 minutes ago, taobball said:

The problem with the defense argument is that he's also botched a lot of hitting situations that could have put them ahead by more runs where an average defensive CF may have allowed a hit, but the Twins should've been up more if they would've had a competent big league hitter. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily believe he WILL be demoted or that he WILL continue to hit as he has, but no defense justifies a .077 BA, a .226 OPS, and a 51+% K%. 

I agree with what you have said at the end here. But chances are that the numbers wont stay that bad. I don't think he will magically turn into a 250 hitter, i think around 200 is where you will see him. The K % will go down but still be an awful level. If the twins were struggling you'd see a lot more urgency.

I mean this is how bad it is right now:  I streamed two hitters against Boyd because I think Boyd generally sucks and also streamed Boyd against Minnesota in large part because Buxton weakens that lineup so much and provides an automatic couple of K's.  I'm not even kidding, and I really hate to dump on Buxton after owning him in my minors for 3 years and waiting for what I saw back when he was an elite prospect. 

1 minute ago, to_be_quite_frank said:

Actually it was 4 pitches! #SilverLinings

I actually considered making a trade that included acquiring Buxton as the hidden gem before the season started. Having not done it, is the only thing I have done right so far.

1 hour ago, taobball said:

You called Buxton's issues early and helped me step off the train.  Give me the guy who can hit over the athlete who is learning how, any day of the week.

On 4/9/2017 at 3:43 PM, Low and Away said:

Buxton .077  14k in 26abs

Cruz - .091/ 11k in 22abs

Lamb- 12k in 24abs

Villar 15k in 30abs

All stats were from yesterday. 

How are Cruz, Lamb & Villar's 50% K rate worse than Buxton's 54% (using your numbers)?

On 4/10/2017 at 5:48 AM, motown magic said:

Buxton gets sent down . Thats a given

The way he is playing  in the field, I'm not so sure. He has been the difference defensively in a couple of wins already.  

I don't know why he doesn't bunt more. 

Boyd has his  whole repertoire today. He got Buxton looking on a 74 mph pitch the last time. Boyd is really changing speeds nicely and throwing strikes. He seem to always pitch well against the Twins.

11 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

ADP figures into it.

What point is it that you're trying to make?  You said he "he isn't the worst right now" and used those stats to support that.  No mention of ADP.